music geek Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid's Avatar

Buy or No Buy? Paul Simon "Surprise"

Anyone have anything to say, pro or con, for the new Paul Simon/Brian Eno collaboration "Surprise"?

Should I buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
    Anyone have anything to say, pro or con, for the new Paul Simon/Brian Eno collaboration "Surprise"?

Should I buy it?
    I don't really know how relevant Paul Simon remains in the music world. Certainly he isn't starting any trends that are going to be latched on to with this album. I'll give credit where it's due though, he's had a remarable run and only a fool would count him down and out. Graceland and Rhythm remain two of my favorite albums and let's be honest, who else can really claim such longevity and at the same time releasing important work. While he's not alone he won't be bumping elbows at the dinner table with many.

I'm not the huge Eno fan that Davey is, probably never will be. Still if there's a problem with this album, and there is imo, it's that there's not enough Eno. Put simply he didn't go far enough in his melding of his tradional folk and electronica. Marriage made in heaven? Probably not unless you are a big electronica and of course I am. When it works, it's awesome. When it doesn't it isn't because of Eno, it's that there's simply no sonic landscape to balance out the traditional approach and make it "seem" fresh. In short, I think the man played it too safe but I'm also comfortable suggesting that the usual fans of Paul Simon will find a great deal to enjoy here.

Currently it's gonna fall into place in my top 10 so far. I'm really hoping that it doesn't stay there. Pretty safe bet though that if your interested enough to post about it that it would easily be worth 10 bucks on sale at CC over the holiday weekend.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

music geek Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid's Avatar

thanks jc...guess i'll head to CC today and get it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I don't really know how relevant Paul Simon remains in the music world. Certainly he isn't starting any trends that are going to be latched on to with this album. I'll give credit where it's due though, he's had a remarable run and only a fool would count him down and out. Graceland and Rhythm remain two of my favorite albums and let's be honest, who else can really claim such longevity and at the same time releasing important work. While he's not alone he won't be bumping elbows at the dinner table with many.

I'm not the huge Eno fan that Davey is, probably never will be. Still if there's a problem with this album, and there is imo, it's that there's not enough Eno. Put simply he didn't go far enough in his melding of his tradional folk and electronica. Marriage made in heaven? Probably not unless you are a big electronica and of course I am. When it works, it's awesome. When it doesn't it isn't because of Eno, it's that there's simply no sonic landscape to balance out the traditional approach and make it "seem" fresh. In short, I think the man played it too safe but I'm also comfortable suggesting that the usual fans of Paul Simon will find a great deal to enjoy here.

Currently it's gonna fall into place in my top 10 so far. I'm really hoping that it doesn't stay there. Pretty safe bet though that if your interested enough to post about it that it would easily be worth 10 bucks on sale at CC over the holiday weekend.

jc
    thanks jc...guess i'll head to CC today and get it...

Thread Information