Forum Regular

would love advice on my first ht

I am getting my very first ht set up in a mid-size 15' x 15' room.

I went to a local "appliance" store that has a decent ht section and got the following recommendation, which I thought sounded fine (this being my first system, I have really nothing to compare it to but my existing tv and the tv speakers):

Marantz 5600
    KEF iQ3 and iQ6
    Yamaha yst 225 sub
    Infiniti in ceiling speakers for the surrounds
    Marantz DV-4600 dvd and cc-4300 cd players

The quoted price for all of this was about $2,800 before installation and cabling and a seperate remote (harmony). I have been looking for while and have to say it is pretty tough with all the options available and the price ranges available (literally I could look forever), but for what I have been looking at (receivers from yamaha, integra, onkyo and speakers from b&w, energy and polk), this seems to be a solid set up for a reasonable price. Is there anything in the system above that you think I could do significantly better than for the price, or does anyone have particularly bad experience with anything listed? I would love your thoughts.

Seperately, I will probably get the new 42" samsung plasma, which looks great in the store. Anyone have thoughts on that also?

Personally, I'd shop around a bit more, do research, and figure out exactly what you want from a home theater in a broader context that includes price, features, and audio/video performance. A local appliance store isn't always the best place to start, even if their heart is in the right place. I have a couple of reservations about the audio components on your list, but I'll let the audio mavens at this site comment on that end.

So far as the plasma is concerned, Samsungs are really at the lower end of the picture-quality spectrum. You might be satisfied if you get a great deal on one, but if you look at more options in better venues and do a bit of reading, you might find something else even more to your liking. I would suggest taking a serious look at the Panasonic line, which is not only relatively affordable but also top notch when it comes to black level, contrast, and color rendition. Unfortunately, a plasma's better qualities usually don't show up on a showroom floor because of the lighting and the (lack of) calibration.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, Ed's comments are pretty spot on. If I were you, I'd google for consumer reviews for anything your interested in & if the reviews all give it great or bad ratings & there are a bunch of them, I'd go by those comments. Once you decide what you want, you should check on the prices online to get the cheapest price or buy it locally at a chain store if its close to the cheapest online price within $50 to $100 or so after shipping. You should check Ebay too. I'd definately buy your cables, speaker wire & accessories on Ebay, to save money.

I too second the vote for a serious look at the new Panasonic plasmas. That's what I'd probably buy if I were in the market right now. Secondly, I question the choice of a Yamaha sub. They make great receivers, but not subs. You want to go with a company that has a sollid reputation for kick-ass subs, if it fits your budget, as quality subs begin at $500: Velodyn, Hsu, SVS, B&W, Paradigm, Def Tech, Onix. Also, I'd avoid in-ceiling speakers if it is architecturally possible. Also, consider that you don't have to put together a complete 5.1 system at once if you find that new choices are straining your budget. You could begin with two main speakers or 2+matching center channel and working in sub and rear speakers as budget allows.

Happy Shopping.

Forum Regular

thanks

Thanks for the advice. I was more looking for your thoughts on the quality of the components themselves. I wasn't necessarily going to buy from this place, but I listened there and it sounded good.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by maanba
    Thanks for the advice. I was more looking for your thoughts on the quality of the components themselves. I wasn't necessarily going to buy from this place, but I listened there and it sounded good.

Thoughts?
    My thoughts.......

Marantz 5600 (this is one of many possible good choices)
    KEF iQ3 and iQ6 (a very good choice IMHO)
    Yamaha yst 225 sub (not a good choice. Many better choices as mentioned above. also add sub kits from Parts Express. Not hard to put together and you get quallity parts. Try this site: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=536

Infiniti in ceiling speakers for the surrounds (Infinity good, ceiling bad. More KEF's would be better)
    Marantz DV-4600 dvd and cc-4300 cd players (not bad)

Samsung (no, run as fast as you can)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information