Forum Regular

Center Speak Question Again

I know I addressed this topic a month or so ago, but as I still haven't gotten an Orb Mod 2 speaker for my center speaker (two Orb Mod 1 speakers combined), I would appreciate some further clarification on the center speaker, assume we're talking about playing DVD's on 5.1 setting. Hypothetically, if one had the center speaker at the same height level as the other 4 speakers, then the center speaker could be the same as the other 4 speakers & you'd be hearing DVD's as they're meant to be heard, correct? The reality is my center speaker which is the same as my other 4 speakers, is on top of my big screen TV, 2 feet or so above the other speakers. As such, as long as the DB level & distance levels are properly set, I still should be hearing DVDs as they're suppose to be heard, correct, or do I need a special center speaker like the Orb Mod 2?

Well, I don't know how else to explain this so here it goes...

...don't worry so much about hearing the movie 'the way it was supposed to be heard' because that ain't gonna happen with your current setup. Your speakers are way too small and you have no real subwoofer. I'm not being harsh, I'm just saying don't get caught up with trying to make your stuff sound like a movie theater.

As long as you're happy with the sound, that's all that matters. Do you like it?

Ed, one thing you can do( I think this was brought up already in the other thread) is aim your center speaker down toward your listening position.

There was an improvement when I upgraded my center though. Why not give the Mod 2 a test drive?

Forum Regular
    Dolby Labs, the developers of Dolby Digital has some guide lines for their formats, it can be found at ( http://www.dolby.com/ ) If possible, you would like your front speakers tweeters at ear level and your surrounds should be @ 2 feet or more above ear level. The problem with your T.V. may change your format placement a bit, you may even want to adjust the center speakers angle facing down towards the listener. I would try different locations, maybe a center speaker stand and see what you like best. Your goal here is to have a nice front soundstage without any of the speaker standing out.

The Dolby Labs tips will try to get you a theater like soundstage but there is flexibility in there recommended set-ups.

Thread Information