Forum Regular

Advice For Wedding Systems

I am getting married soon, June 10th, and have been asked to do three things.

A)show up on time
    b) wear what my fiancee wants me to
    c) provide the sound equpiment for the wedding.reception.

Since i was late for my first wedding and I am playing golf the day of my wedding. and have thus far refused to discuss anything she has suggested for my attire, I would like to come through on the the audio equipment.

The Wedding and reception are in the same location althought the ceremony is outside. The ceremony is in a 30x30 area and will be under a tent if the weather is hostile ( that word reminds me that my future mother in law will hate what ever I wear so I am not going to think about B any longer) . The reception will be in two rooms joined by a double doorway size arch.one room is 15x30 the other is 12x15. I need speakers and A/V receivers and whatever else is needed for them. (cables, surge surpressers , connectors, etc...) I dont mind spending for one set sinceI will keep it but the other will go to my sons dormitory prep school or worse to my future brother in laws. Any suggestions?

Congrats on the wedding. Good luck with a & b.
    I believe that there are companies who will rent you equipment for a day. That may be your best bet.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Congrats on the wedding. Good luck with a & b.
    I believe that there are companies who will rent you equipment for a day. That may be your best bet.
    I agree with you GMicheal ,cheaper to rent for the day(they let you keep for weekend)You need a mixer,power amp ,cd /karaoke,microphone,speakers,wiring ect,ect .Good luck and Congrats.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    IMO it would be more practical to hire a DJ. Why in the world would your fiancee want you to be bothered with providing sound equipment for your wedding day ? Who will be setting up the equipment and playing the music ? Who will be responsible for returning the rented equipment after the wedding ? This is a distraction that you don't need. I was a "just-retired" DJ when I got married [25 years this year]. I would never have entertained the thought of providing music for my own wedding. Congratulations and I hope the day goes well whatever you decide.
    Last edited by Glen B; 05-19-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Forum Regular
    You might double check the room size. They seem very small 15X30 and 12X15. By comparison a standard parking space is 9X18. I would not use a dj. A better way to go is a solo acoustic guitar player with his own PA gear.

Hiring a DJ would probably be the best bet, because they will haul the sound equipment in, have a library of tunes, and make the necessary announcements. But, it will probably be difficult to grab one on such short notice, especially for a June wedding.

Absent a DJ, I would strongly suggest that you delegate the sound equipment chores if you plan to use it for the reception. Renting pro audio equipment is a great idea because those rigs travel better, will play louder than a typical home system, and will tolerate little "accidents" better than home audio equipment will.

I brought my surround speakers and an old AV receiver to my wedding basically to play the bridal intro. The speakers got damaged (not that I cared, because they were my wife's old Bose 301s and we were ready to get rid of them anyway) later on. But, again that was for the ceremony, when everybody in the room was at attention.

For the more raucous reception, we had a live band and used their sound rig and the sound man played tunes in between sets. For a reception, you might need something that can fill a room better and stand up to abuse better than a home audio setup will. As others have said, it will depend on the size of the room and how loud you need the music to play.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM7128@AOL.COM
    I am getting married soon, June 10th, and have been asked to do three things.

A)show up on time
    b) wear what my fiancee wants me to
    c) provide the sound equpiment for the wedding.reception.

Since i was late for my first wedding and I am playing golf the day of my wedding. and have thus far refused to discuss anything she has suggested for my attire, I would like to come through on the the audio equipment.

The Wedding and reception are in the same location althought the ceremony is outside. The ceremony is in a 30x30 area and will be under a tent if the weather is hostile ( that word reminds me that my future mother in law will hate what ever I wear so I am not going to think about B any longer) . The reception will be in two rooms joined by a double doorway size arch.one room is 15x30 the other is 12x15. I need speakers and A/V receivers and whatever else is needed for them. (cables, surge surpressers , connectors, etc...) I dont mind spending for one set sinceI will keep it but the other will go to my sons dormitory prep school or worse to my future brother in laws. Any suggestions?
    I proabaly shoulod have told you all that there will only be about 30 people at my wedding in total. there will be live mus. there will be some one operating and setting up the equipment . REnting the rquipmetnt is not an optionm I want to explore. So knowing that
    I have little time

Chuck
    Last edited by CWM7128@AOL.COM; 05-20-2006 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM7128@AOL.COM
    I proabaly shoulod have told you all that there will only be about 30 people at my wedding in total. there will be live mus. there will be some one operating and setting up the equipment . REnting the rquipmetnt is not an optionm I want to explore. So knowing that
    I have little time

Chuck
    What's the budget?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    If your going to have live music and someone will set-up and opperate the equipment I don't understand why you need PA gear. Most musicians have their own gear including PA. (A universal truth is never ever trust the house PA). Have you checked with the band to see if they have a PA. They can also rent if for the gig and add it to your bill.

Thread Information