HURT - Best CD I've bought in a long, long, time.

Fans of prog/metal/rock..especially Tool fans...get off your duff and go buy Vol 1. by the band Hurt.

They are similar to Tool (but not a clone) so if you like Tool you are sure to like Hurt. Very dark, brooding, slow paced, with great harmonies and lots of strings (acoustic, violin....stuff like that) to add some eeeriness.

I bought this at the same time as the new Tool and both are great for different reasons, but the Hurt CD is a little more...I don't know....gripping.

Chem them out:
    www.hurtband.com

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

I agree

I sort of stumbled into these guys when they played live on St. Patrick's Day. As an aside, live they are easily as tight and compelling as on disc.
    Many great qualities about this cd but foremost is the dynamic quality. One of the things that drives me crazy about modern rock/metal/pop is the tendency to eliminate dynamics (ala "interesting read" thread in General Audio forum), most notably when a vocal verse is accompanied by an acoustic guitar--then the obligatory drum crescendo to show intent--followed by Marshall driven guitars in a chorus that's buried on the mix and sometimes actually softer than the verse. Not with these guys. Hurt got it right.

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I bought this last week on a whim and was mildly impressed with the disc. These guys have potential if they focus on the music...Someone told me this group is composed of the kids of a bunch of label reps and producers though, so I worry that they'll just end up another Disturbed or something...there's a few songs that have bits of that Nu Metal crap in it, but for a first effort I can't hold it against them.

The disc itself has a lot of decent tunes on it, nothing great, but more listenable stuff than filler. The slow baroque-esque chamber music-ish melodies remind me of Coal Chamber, except good. Without the goth image thing. And when a hear the opening vocals on "unkind" though, I can't help but think Korn and crap like that - or Linkin' Park in Overdose, but the baroque style is really interesting and let's me get past that.. I don't sense any "heavy for the sake of heavy" in their music like a lot of bands these days, and that's good.

Nowhere near as good as Tool's new album, but definitely a band I'll be keeping an eye on. Chamber music and metal were made for each other....

One of the better random cd purchases I've made in a long time,

Thread Information