Forum Regular

Up scaling devices???

Ok so I have been trying to figure out this whole Upscaling vs. upconverting.

So far what I have gathered is that Upconverting is merely the way for a receiver in my case to send all the video inputs through one out put.

Upscaling is where the receiver changes the video by add lines and then send the signal to the tv which is supposed to make older formats look better.

So I guess my question is this. Is there a device that will do that the upscaling outside of the receiver or TV that is more dependable?

I have heard so many arguments back and for that the TV will do it but not well, the receiver will do it but that is new technology for them. My thought process is that why not buy a good receiver but not worry about the upscaling stuff and then have a intermediate box that does all the necessary work for the video. Is this out in left field and am i missing something here?

Hi kbochat,

We meet again. One thing: The reason for the upscaling that changes the lines or pixel count of the original source to a higher number isn't to make older formats look better; it's to make them compatible with the new microdisplays, otherwise known as fixed-pixel displays, in the first place. For example, to show a 480 line DVD at all, a 720p, 1080i, or 1080p display has to upscale it to match its own native pixel count; this process is necessary, not elective. The elective part concerns which component gets to do the scaling, since scaling often makes the material look far worse than it would in its own rightful habitat. By default, the TV does the job, but DVD players can also handle it now via HDMI or DVI, sometimes better than a TV can and sometimes without much visible difference. The only way to tell is to try. The same argument applies to the new receivers that upscale this way. You have to try to know how well they do it.

However, external video processors, to which you allude, are generally more dependable, versatile, and successful. Scaling (and deinterlacing, its kissing cousin) is an extremely delicate affair. Done well, it can make the seemingly least congenial material look more than passable. But the privilege doesn't come cheap. If you're interested, I suggest that you take a look at the range of DVDO processors. They have a well-deserved reputation for solid performance, and they are relatively affordable. If I were you, however, I wouldn't invest in such a unit without first getting my feet wet with the basic equipment (TV, DVD player, TV tuner, receiver, etc.) to see what's at stake, and then find out just how good you can expect your scaling to be a particular price points.

Ed

Forum Regular
    Ha, we keep meeting like this because you have a lot more knowledge and are willing to voice it. :-)

Thanks for the info I will have to look into that. I think you are right about getting my feet wet all this new stuff is just to darn confusing sometimes. Heck i used to build computers until there was 10 thousand videos cards and such out there. I know variety makes things ultimately better, but boy does it make it tough to figure out what you want in the short run.

Thanks

It has become unbelievably complicated, and the irony is that the more you learn, the more arduous is the path to the right choice. But at the end of all the hard work, a great deal of satisfaction awaits. It's good not to be ambushed by some important element after you've made your decision.

Thread Information