2ch recommendations...

Hello folks...

I am in the process of designing a simple 2 channel audio system for my new townhouses living room. Since the townhouse will have a dedicated room for home theater the living room itself is going to need just a simple music capability. The room size is 14'X18', just so you know the size I am working with. There will not be a TV in the room either, just furniture. All I am really looking for the speakers to do is handle music coming from either an amp or perhaps a receiver...I haven't decided just yet. I am trying to keep things simple for my wife to use. I don't want quality to suffer either. Speaker-wise her and I decided that we want something with a dark cherry finish so it matches the rest of the room, otherwise it won't be going in the room (that's what she says). So, we are already locked into a color/finish. I also want smaller speakers (bookshelves/monitors), but something that gives great range. The other important factor is price. I am hoping to keep this minimal in cost so I can keep pumping money into my main system. I am thinking under $500. I have looked at quite a few of online options. I really like the PSB line, but they don't really have anything in dark cherry for the price I have in mind. I also thought about Polk, but not sure. I was reading up on EPOS, but they don't have the finish I am looking for.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If possible I wouldn't mind having speakers that I can bi-wire. More than likely these speakers will either be powered by my current Pioneer receiver, which I am going to replace soon or an amp, but not sure which yet.

You may want to consider the Energy reference connoisseur RC-10's. I have heard good thing about them, and they seem to be solid speakers, bi-wire/bi-amp capable. They are available in cherry, rosenut and black. I'm pretty sure the price is around 500 USD.

personally, I think the tweeters energy speakers use are way to harsh, so stay away from them. I'm going to recommend the paradigm mini monitors or if you want somethink for less money, the titan or focus (has anybody used these before, cause they sound great) or even the atoms, they can pretty much hold their own, I use them without a sub and they still sound great, tight and controlled, and everything comes in the finish you need

Forum Regular
    You might check out the M3v2 or M22v2 from Axiom(www.axiomaudio.com). You can customize the vinyl finishes or upgrade to real wood with a variety of choices.

Forum Regular
    I'd also recommend the RC10 from Energy. Try and hear them if you can. Absolutely no harshness. Fantastic dispersion. Amazing detail in the bass too. Soundstage.com reveiwed them in February and gave them their Critics choice award.

Does anyone know a place online to get the Energy speakers? I checked out the Axiom's and they are great except not bi-wire-able. Thanks everyone for your input.

Please send any helpful links!!! THanks again!

Forum Regular
    Don't choose a speaker based on whether you can biwire it. There are many fine speakers that are not biwireable. That feature should not be a primary consideration in your choice...focus on the way the speakers actually sound, not how many binding posts they have.

Forum Regular
    Super

I have a set of Focal/Jm Labs Chorus 706 that i am putting up for sale soon.They are calvados finish,in perfect condition.I am replacing them with cobalts.Let me know if you are interested,they are very good speakers.

bill

Obviously I care what they sound like...and I also prefer bi-wired speakers and since it's my choice what I get...please don't advise me on something if you are going to be negative to my preferences. Thanks!

meh, last time I was at the audioshop I think I gave those speaks a listen, well, the C-1 and C-3, and they all have the same metal dome tweeter, it might be just me but all metal domes give a "screechy" treble...just my opinion, I like my old fashioned silk domes and the ceramic one in my atoms is smooth too, i just like smooth treble i guess....

Sound Fanatic
    I'll throw in my support for the Energy RC-10's as well. I find it hard to imagine anyone listening to them and calling them "harsh." They're beautiful sounding speakers, small like you want, and the cherry and rosenut veneers are beautiful.

I think we have a winner....I really like all the features of the Energy RC-10's. They have the design that I am looking for...now all I need to do it pick em up and check out their sound. I have read plenty of reviews on them and they sound like they will be a perfect match. Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Thread Information