Forum Regular

Homemade sub ideas needing critique...

The number of rooms I need a subwoofer in now outnumber the numbers of subwoofers I have. Here are some ideas I am entertaining:

Option 1: Buy another one. Pros: easy. Cons: cost.

Option 2: I have an NAD 2600A amplifier (150W RMS, much higher peak, and much much higher if I bridge to mono) that is not being used. I've been thinking I could go buy a high quality subwoofer driver (or two?), build the appropriate box to match the driver(s), and drive it with the 2600A connected to the subwoofer out of my A/V receiver. Pros: cheaper. Cons: Ties up the amp in case I need it later. My time in labor.

Option 3: I have some pretty high quaility car audio amps lying around, including a 200W Soundstream that can be bridged to mono. A while back I was in a electronics surplus store and picked up a super beefy 12V DC power supply. The thing weighs more than some home audio amps and I believe it can deliver plenty of amps. I could build the same box mentioned above, but instead power it with the power supply / car amp combo. Pros: cheaper. Uses stuff collecting dust otherwise. Cons: ?

I am a reasonably accomplished carpenter and an electrical engineer, so the construction is not the issue. The real question is sound quality: would the NAD amp / car audio woofer combo be much better than a mid-priced suwoofer (such as my Klipsch KSW12)? It would seem the amplification quality of the NAD would be beyond comparison to a $400 subwoofer. I would think even the car amp on a massive power supply would be also. But, I am obviously posting for some opinions. Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Gator
    The number of rooms I need a subwoofer in now outnumber the numbers of subwoofers I have. Here are some ideas I am entertaining:

Option 1: Buy another one. Pros: easy. Cons: cost.

Option 2: I have an NAD 2600A amplifier (150W RMS, much higher peak, and much much higher if I bridge to mono) that is not being used. I've been thinking I could go buy a high quality subwoofer driver (or two?), build the appropriate box to match the driver(s), and drive it with the 2600A connected to the subwoofer out of my A/V receiver. Pros: cheaper. Cons: Ties up the amp in case I need it later. My time in labor.

Option 3: I have some pretty high quaility car audio amps lying around, including a 200W Soundstream that can be bridged to mono. A while back I was in a electronics surplus store and picked up a super beefy 12V DC power supply. The thing weighs more than some home audio amps and I believe it can deliver plenty of amps. I could build the same box mentioned above, but instead power it with the power supply / car amp combo. Pros: cheaper. Uses stuff collecting dust otherwise. Cons: ?

I am a reasonably accomplished carpenter and an electrical engineer, so the construction is not the issue. The real question is sound quality: would the NAD amp / car audio woofer combo be much better than a mid-priced suwoofer (such as my Klipsch KSW12)? It would seem the amplification quality of the NAD would be beyond comparison to a $400 subwoofer. I would think even the car amp on a massive power supply would be also. But, I am obviously posting for some opinions. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Why would you need so many subs in the first place? I would personally try to get the car amp working with a home sub (Adire, dayton (there is a bunch to mention)) and make the enclosure. Using your NAD amp would be a waist if it's to use with a sub. Use it in a normal 2ch system (get the pre, the speakers...). -the is my opinion.
    Anyway good luck with it all, tell us what you do

Forum Regular
    I heard once that there are problems when converting AC to DC.
    Let me find the link.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sub amps are cheap enough, have built in crossovers, auto on functions, and other useful features...I wouldn't waste a NAD on a subwoofer...just me...
    Get an efficient woofer, and mate it with a good, inexpensive, $100-$150 amp with 200-300 watts...how loud do you need this thing to go?

Thread Information