AR Newbie Registered Member

Cool Recording Vinyl to CD

Hi everyone
    I am looking for some advice.
    I am searching for a good cd recorder so I can transfer my vinyl to CD.
    I have a lot of vinyl so need something that is pretty easy to use but still gives a quality recording.
    So far the best I can see is the Pioneer 609, or the 509. Can any one tell me the difference between the 2, I know the 609 is a newer model but is it much better than the 509?
    Any suggestions on other models would be greatly appreciated

Cheers :

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exerbeat
    Hi everyone
    I have a lot of vinyl so need something that is pretty easy to use but still gives a quality recording.
    So far the best I can see is the Pioneer 609, or the 509. Can any one tell me the difference between the 2, I know the 609 is a newer model but is it much better than the 509?

Cheers :
    I use the Sony RCD W500C for converting vinyl to cd with good results. A friend paid $300 for it and after I made cds from his records I was given the recorder for my labors. Therefore I do not know how it compares to other recorders but it has worked well for a year and a half.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

"The Best" ??

Hi everyone

Cheers :
    How about a Stereophile Class 'A' component? That would be the Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 ...
    http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=4

Not only will it record standard, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz CD's, but also CD24's, i.e. 24 bit, 96 kHz resolution on ordinary CD-R's. Street price is about US$800.00.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Hi everyone

Cheers
    I initially looked around for an "audiophile" CD recorder and was not satisfied with the offerings. I ended up using my PC equipped with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card, Sony CD burner, LP Recorder and LP Ripper wave recorder and editor ($64.95 total for the registration keys), and my discerning ears are pleased with the results. With LP Recorder I can conveniently record an entire side of an LP then split and trim the tracks with LP Ripper, removing surface noise in the silent portions and adjusting fade in/fade out time. I've done flawless transfers of live LP recordings with no silent passages between tracks. In such cases, although each track is separate on the CD, they flow from one to the next, mimicking the LP.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...2496-main.html
    http://www.cfbsoftware.com/lprecorder/lprecorder.htm

Screen shot of M-Audio Monitor Mixer:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recording Vinyl to CD-audiophile_2496.jpg  
    Last edited by Glen B; 04-21-2006 at 11:38 AM.

Hi
    thanks for your help.
    Unfortunatley I don't have a pc!
    WStill unsure as to whether a Pioneer would be better than the Sony.
    Thoughts?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Hi
    thanks for your help.
    Thoughts?

Have you checked out the reviews on the products in which you are interested? Sorry but I have no experience with the Pioneer.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

nightflier
    If you want good quality, you should also consider pro audio recorders like the Marantz CDR-510 or if money is tight, the HHB CDR830 BurnIT or the Tascam CD-RW900. The latter two can be had online for around $500. They offer more options like starting the recording when it senses sound, fading in/out, and multiple input/output options.

I found the Tascam online for $450 and while it is not built like a tank, it does what I need it to quite well. I don't recommend buying these used as they'll typically have more wear than players (at least that's what I've noticed).

If you really want to fine-tune your CD's, and your recorder doesn't offer all the options you need, you could also use an outboard analog to digital converter (the opposite of a DAC). I auditioned a used Apogee AD-1000 and was very impressed with the options and build-quality.

You can also find surface noise filters that will deal with the snap-crackle-pops of older records. I use software on a PC for this (SoundForge), but I've read good reviews about products that do this automatically, like the SAE 5000, which you should be able to find used on eBay for a good price.

Also, a good website to check out is: http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm. It deals mostly with PC-based recording, but covers all the issues you'll encounter such as noise reduction, LP cleaning, etc.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Have you checked out the reviews on the products in which you are interested? Sorry but I have no experience with the Pioneer.
    Yeah I've read a few reviews on the newer pioneer but not on the model before.
    There are mixed reviews for the Sony. So I am edging towards the Pioneer, I just wanted to get some expert advice and se if there was anything else out there.

Thanks for all your help

Linear Guy

I like Glen B's advice

Hi
    thanks for your help.
    Thoughts?
    If you want to do this really well, then I recommend a PC with software. You will have complete editorial control and the modern AD transfer software has noise and hiss elimination, a very expensive feature a few years ago but common now. For around 600.00 you can get a PC loaded with the necessary software, get the LP conversion done and enjoy the PC afterwards. This is a project you will probably want to finish and be done with. Why get a dedicated device just for that. The PC stuff does not require a tremendous amount of skill and it is fun because you have some creative control.

Forum Regular
    I know you said you do not own a PC perhaps now you have a good reason to dive in. I use my computer to make the transfer from Lp to CD and the results have been vety pleasing.

You can purchase a brand new powerful PC for under $500.00. The Pc will also offer you other options to help manage your life, stay in touch with friends, and research information via the web. If you ask me (you didn't of course), you make your money go far further by purchasing a PC rather than simply a machine that only does one task!

I guess I would seriously consider putting your hard earned money into a PC so that you may derive a myriad of benefits including your desire to transfer your vinyl to Cd. It's the smart thing to do!

Good luck to you,
    Joe

Thread Information