Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mey
    Forum Regular

Help with my neighbors?

Hello all-

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice I could pass on to my neighbors. We live in condos, and they are directly below me. They have a home theater. I don't know what kind- but it definately has a massive subwoofer.

A good chunk of the problem is that they play their music and TV very, very loud, which the bass cranked up high-once so high the art on my walls started to rattle. That you all can't help me with.

However, I am looking for suggestions on how they can set up their speakers/subwoofer in a way that still gives them surround sound without bothering me or their next door neighbor. I've already found the article on audioholics.com.

I am going to the HO association board meeting tomorrow to file a formal complaint. I'm trying to be as polite as possible, and want to present solutions in addition to the complaints. (I'm a librarian, providing information is in my nature.) I have no idea if the downstairs neighbors will take the suggestions-the last time I asked them to turn it down they slammed the door in my face.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Mey
    Hello all-

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice I could pass on to my neighbors. We live in condos, and they are directly below me. They have a home theater. I don't know what kind- but it definately has a massive subwoofer.

A good chunk of the problem is that they play their music and TV very, very loud, which the bass cranked up high-once so high the art on my walls started to rattle. That you all can't help me with.

However, I am looking for suggestions on how they can set up their speakers/subwoofer in a way that still gives them surround sound without bothering me or their next door neighbor. I've already found the article on audioholics.com.

I am going to the HO association board meeting tomorrow to file a formal complaint. I'm trying to be as polite as possible, and want to present solutions in addition to the complaints. (I'm a librarian, providing information is in my nature.) I have no idea if the downstairs neighbors will take the suggestions-the last time I asked them to turn it down they slammed the door in my face.

tell them to get Bose.
    /create

Hello all-

Ah the joy of owning a house.

Back in my apartment days I surely pissed off a good deal of people. I doubt there's anything they can do but turn it down or go without a sub. Perhaps you can arrange for them to watch a movie while your off shopping or something. I would blast my music and didn't care what the neighbors thought either. Kids!! I'll tell ya.

If you cant beat em join em.......show up at the door with a 12 pack a couple of cd/dvd's and let the party begin

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

Hello all-

...there may be several, but short of building a room-within-a-room, none of them will be completely effective...and they really have to start at the source IMO...unfortunately given your experience with them, I'll hazard a guess any suggestions will likely fall on deaf ears...no pun intended.

Carpeting and other sound absorbent panels will ameliorate high frequency sounds to some degree, but lower freqs are structure-bourne...hence the room-in-a-room mentioned earlier...One man's ceiling may very well be another man's floor, but that also includes: walls, hallways, elevator shafts, ductwork, etc. Anything in common, will transfer some of the lower frequencies...It will probably require qualified acousticians to analyze and help in the situation, but even so they won't be able to perform miracles...The building most likely predates mega-watt idiocy and was built for people to live in relative harmony in a day when consideration for your neighbor may have actually been an accepted norm...and we know where that is at nowadays...and actually subwoofers aren't absolutely required for surround sound, usually they only enhance the LFEs (Low Frequency Effects) resplendent in movies featuring laser-toting mechanical lizards and such...strictly the WOW! factor...There is a chance they don't have their system set up correctly and it may be overemphasizing the offending frequencies...most folks (generally those unfamiliar with audio and hi-fi) equate quality with quantity, loudness with accuracy...most folks are wrong. Additionally, the fact they now know they are annoying other people can, to some, just be icing on the proverbial cake.

You are probably better off hoping the owners association can enforce whatever by-laws that may be applicable, I'm sure there must be something they can do...Then of course, even if the matter is resolved in your favor, you will in all likelyhood have a group of mindless dolts who will hold you in less than the highest regard for spoiling their fun! And as we have already seen, it's all about them...isn't it?

jimHJJ(...what ever were you thinking?...)
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 04-18-2006 at 11:10 AM.
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

They could get base shakers such as these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=299-027

These get mounted to their chairs & sofas etc. They let them feel the base better so they could turn down their sub & give their neighbors a break. I am assuming that the loud base is the part that is the most disturbing.
    Somehow, I get the feeling that they won't care either way. Good luck with them and welcome to AR.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mey
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser

You are probably better off hoping the owners association can enforce whatever by-laws that may be applicable, I'm sure there must be something they can do...Then of course, even if the matter is resolved in your favor, you will in all likelyhood have a group of mindless dolts who will hold you in less than the highest regard for spoiling their fun! And as we have already seen, it's all about them...isn't it?

jimHJJ(...what ever were you thinking?...)
    Yes, we are hoping (I'm not the only one they are annoying) that either the homeowner's association can do something or if they cause enough problems that we can document their landlord will evict them.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Mey
    Forum Regular
    Can't go shopping at 3am....

The only way to silence a subwoofer is to remove the subwoofer. They are designed to to exactly what you're describing!

However, I am looking for suggestions on how they can set up their speakers/subwoofer in a way that still gives them surround sound without bothering me or their next door neighbor.
    Offer to calibrate the subs to have flat response with respect to the mains using a test disc and sound pressure meter like the inexpensive Radio Shack unit. Most folks crank the crap out of their subs in a most unnatural way.

rw

the last time I asked them to turn it down they slammed the door in my face.
    Follow these quick and easy steps to everlasting serenity:

Purchase:
    1) 1 (one) slingshot
    2) 1 (one) gallon of the most gawdawful colored paint you can find. Lead based.
    3) 1 (one) large ball bearing

Steps:
    1) Put a pachinko ball (or like-sized ball bearing) into slingshot
    2) Find car that d!ckhead neighbor drives.
    3) Aim slingshot at driver's side window. Release. (Note: The safety glass will shatter and cascade down with nary a whisper)
    4) Take can of paint and pour gratuitously into d!ckhead's vehicle
    5) Pop open a cold one and enjoy.

Will this stop their bumping and thumping? Of course not. But neither will anything else you do

However, you will sleep better at night .

Do it right, and it can look like this:
    *Note how they took the time to pour it into the center vents. Nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Follow these quick and easy steps to everlasting serenity:

Purchase:
    1) 1 (one) slingshot
    2) 1 (one) gallon of the most gawdawful colored paint you can find. Lead based.
    3) 1 (one) large ball bearing

Steps:
    1) Put a pachinko ball (or like-sized ball bearing) into slingshot
    2) Find car that d!ckhead neighbor drives.
    3) Aim slingshot at driver's side window. Release. (Note: The safety glass will shatter and cascade down with nary a whisper)
    4) Take can of paint and pour gratuitously into d!ckhead's vehicle
    5) Pop open a cold one and enjoy.

Will this stop their bumping and thumping? Of course not. But neither will anything else you do

However, you will sleep better at night .

Do it right, and it can look like this:
    *Note how they took the time to pour it into the center vents. Nice touch.

Oh sure. Now you post pics?

Geez
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Come on guys, that was an M3. It did look like it had an automatic so there are mitigating circumstances.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    My neighbors in the back has put a jacuzzi up against the back wall away from there house and closest to mine. Super loud music on a poor mini system till 2-3 in the morning and i havent said a word but when i mow the back yard at 8:30AM and can hear him yelling at me. I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Come on guys, that was an M3. It did look like it had an automatic so there are mitigating circumstances.
    Bwahahahaha!

Right intentions, but that's a stick. M3's only come with 6MT's or SMG. No slushboxes allowed .

Shok,
    I'd start mowing at 7:00a.m.

Bwahahahaha!

Shok,
    Ditto, and don't forget to pull the mufler off first.

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    My neighbors in the back has put a jacuzzi up against the back wall away from there house and closest to mine. Super loud music on a poor mini system till 2-3 in the morning and i havent said a word but when i mow the back yard at 8:30AM and can hear him yelling at me. I'm not sure what i'm going to do yet.
    Mow whevener they are in the jacuzzi...and make sure to throw plenty of grass and dust in their direction. And as was mentioned...remove that muffler!

If they can crank music at 3 am you can cut your grass at 3 am

I was kinda thinking of moving the SVS back there.
    Look & Listen

Maybe you need to hang a picture or two on that wall, while they're in there.

Some clorox in the jacuzzi might help...

Forum Regular
    I doubt that there is anything you can do short of moving.

I live in an apartment on the third floor and while I don't currently have a sub for my receiver, I just bought Logitech z5500s for my computer and I can tell you this much, I've had several notes on my door about the bass shaking lighting fixtures already. I now keep it very low and try to be polite as possible but there are still times on the weekend during the day when I'll play a tad loud for a short duration.

Can't wait until my Polk PSW505 comes in...they're gonna really love me then

Not that I'm proud of this buuuuuuuuuuut............I'd throw own on U-571, Matrix, MI and so on, and just blast it. 12" sub by the way, right against the joining wall of the neighbors. Homeboy use to open his window and just scream at my door. When I saw him face to face, he would not speak to me. I'm sure there was a parade when I moved.

He shoulda came to the door with a 12 pack and some BB rentals. It woulda been sooo much easier that way.

Lets see,i've been here 26 years and they have been in there house maybe 5 years. I'm not moving. I'll just keep being to nice and not do anything and mow after 8am.
    Look & Listen

AR Newbie Registered Member

Cool

BMW too bad...as far as sound issue turn on your system and rock 'em[/FONT].

Unfortunately, any number of suggestions that we can offer up won't be any more effective than the most simple one -- getting your neighbor to turn the bass down. Too bad they've decided to be pricks about the noise, because there are ways of working around these kinds of bass issues.

The thing to keep in mind is that bass frequencies behave differently than the midrange and highs. Their wave lengths can be longer than the room itself, which creates a lot of interesting variations in how they sound from one location to another. Most prominently, the bass waves can easily pass through walls, and room-induced wave interactions can result in bass cancellations at one location and extreme boosts at another location. Because of this it's entirely plausible for the bass to sound louder in your room than in your neighbor's room.

Aside from adjusting the subwoofer level down, changing the location of the subwoofer can make a difference, and filtering it so that the bass dropoff occurs at a higher frequency are two approaches that the neighbor can take to limiting the bass that intrudes into your space. But, these are far from surefire approaches, and changing the location of the sub can actually make things worse if the conditions are right.

Unfortunately, short of going to masonry construction, there's no easy way to keep the bass from passing through the walls if they adjoin one another. Going to the association board is probably the easier solution.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Bwahahahaha!

Right intentions, but that's a stick. M3's only come with 6MT's or SMG. No slushboxes allowed .

Shok,
    There was a lot of ugly colored paint all over the place. It hurt my eyes to see that M3 like that. I wasn't sure if it was a one legged car or not. I knew someone on this board would know for sure.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information