Thread: Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa

The latest (April/May) issue of Relix magazine has quite a collection of articles in it, "celebrating the life & times of the one & only Frank Zappa," including interviews with Gail Zappa re: the Zappa vaults, Dweezil and Mike Keneally (you out there, Troy? ), Steve Vai, plus much else (20 pages!).

Unreleased material that has been/is about to be unleashed on the suspecting public is covered, as well.

Relix comes with a CD that includes a live FZ track, and tracks from Umphrey's McGee, Von Cello ("hailed today as a rock cello revolutionary, Von Cello was once a Garcia-influenced guitarist." Bass, drum and- uh, cello, playing fusion??), the Disco Biscuits, Bump, Jeff Tuohy, Ben Harper, etc.

http://www.relix.com/

fp

Suspended
    Thanks for the tip. I have been enjoying my recently aquired "Guitar" by FZ, which is a great 2 disk compilation of his solos from various live shows. Not your normal FZ disk.

I have also recently been introduced to Umphreys McGee. The fusion station at 202.fm plays a bunch along with daily Tribal Tech.

Hyfi

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Thanks for the tip. I have been enjoying my recently aquired "Guitar" by FZ, which is a great 2 disk compilation of his solos from various live shows. Not your normal FZ disk.

I have also recently been introduced to Umphreys McGee. The fusion station at 202.fm plays a bunch along with daily Tribal Tech.

Hyfi
    You're welcome.

Any indications if TT has a new disc out?

fp

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Dweezil and Ahmet are doing a tour called Zappa playing Zappa. They've put together a band of (allegedly) talented, young, unknown musicians to back them and there will be "guest appearances" by Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio each evening. The showing is playing here in May and Hubby and I are just discussing whether we want to drop $150 bucks (total, not each) to see the show. He's a Zappa fan. I'm not...but I am very curious about this show.

JUst watched Is There Humor In Music DVD Friday night for the first time. It's about an hour long set from 1984. I saw him in Toronto in 1977.

The band was working hard, but Zappa had it easy. He played a total of three guitar solos, and spoke his way through a few songs. Hopefully the Estate will release more live DVD stuff.

I'll have to look for that magazine.

I read someplace else recently that Gail Zappa was blocking FZ tribute bands like "Project/Object" from performing. She sounds like an overprotective shrew.

I saw Umphrey's McGee friday night. They rawked. A cross between southern rock (think Allman Bros and Dixie Dregs), King Crimson and weird suprfly wah guitar. I loved it, my wife was bored to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    I'll have to look for that magazine.

I read someplace else recently that Gail Zappa was blocking FZ tribute bands like "Project/Object" from performing. She sounds like an overprotective shrew.

I saw Umphrey's McGee friday night. They rawked. A cross between southern rock (think Allman Bros and Dixie Dregs), King Crimson and weird suprfly wah guitar. I loved it, my wife was bored to death.
    I got my copy at Tower.

I'm a little disappointed in the new one- it's kinda mellow.

Thread Information