Receiver Recommendations....

Hello all....

I have been holding off on upgrading my receiver for the newer ones that will do HD-DTS, but I don't know if I am going to wait much longer. Thus, I am thinking about the following models. I would love to hear recommendations on the following or other alternatives in the same price range. Thanks. Receiver must be able to do no less than 110W/Channel, HDMI video switching (not sure if the Boston does that or not).

Boston Acoustics AVR7120 (7.1 receiver) Price: $1000
    Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVI (7.1 receiver) Price:$1000
    Denon AVR2807 (7.1 receiver) Price: $1000

Any thoughts????

The wattage spec should not be a deciding factor because the difference between 80 and 110 watts per channel is negligible. If your speakers have a sensitivity around 85-90 db (which most speakers do), this means that the speakers will go to a fairly high level at your listening position with only ONE WATT of output. Plus, the wattage specs for receivers do not account for all channels driven, and even if the spec says "110 watts" the actual output going into all channels at once will vary a lot between different receiver models.

In general, comparably priced receivers will have a fairly narrow range of audible differences when using the default settings. The biggest differences between receivers will come down to their feature set, their processing capabilities, the build quality, and the user interface. Don't get caught up in the specs. Do some listening, and do a LOT of tinkering with the receivers to see how well they function in everyday operation. Those considerations will be very important because the receiver is your system's nerve center.

If you're going to wait, you should wait until the HDMI 1.3 spec is finalized. That will include provisions for DTS-HD, and Dolby Digital Plus.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Hello all....

I have been holding off on upgrading my receiver for the newer ones that will do HD-DTS, but I don't know if I am going to wait much longer. Thus, I am thinking about the following models. I would love to hear recommendations on the following or other alternatives in the same price range. Thanks. Receiver must be able to do no less than 110W/Channel, HDMI video switching (not sure if the Boston does that or not).

Boston Acoustics AVR7120 (7.1 receiver) Price: $1000
    Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVI (7.1 receiver) Price:$1000
    Denon AVR2807 (7.1 receiver) Price: $1000

Any thoughts????
    Dont know much about the BA but you cant go wrong with Elite or Denon.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    You need to decide which is most important,features or sound.Watts is a meaningless number,32 watts will drive good speakers to 90db.Do you have more than one hdmi source,connecting directly to the tv is always best for picture quality.I was in the same boat 2 years ago,i listened to many and ended up with a Cambridge Audio 540r.It has no on screen display,hdmi,auto set up but it has a sweet sound,80 real watts per side and 100 in stereo mode.Why pay for a bunch of features you may not use.

bill

Thread Information