Forum Regular

Please help with cd/dvd suggestions for my first major upgrade

Hello everyone,

I just made a decision to upgrade to the real "hi-fi" system recently (I've been using some "mid-fi" system before). I've decided on the speakers/amp/preamp and am now shopping for a cd/dvd player (I will probably do half music and half movie.)

The components that I already had are:
    B&W 802
    Meridian 568.1
    Classe CA-300

I am looking at the following cd/dvd players right now (these are the only ones that I know of):
    Rotel RDV-1080
    Marantz DV-8400/9500

I am looking for a good condition used one under $1000 as I think a good used one is most cost-effective.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tong

My understanding is that Arcam and MusicHall make among the best high end CD players. I've only heard Arcam while auditioning speakers at audio shops,so I can't get real specific about it. But check 'em out and see what you think.

golden ear
    you can also add musical fidelity as one of your options for the CDP

Forum Regular
    Thanks for all the information. Since I need a cd/dvd combo, the musical fidelity will not work for me, since it looks like they only make cd players.

I am currently looking at Arcam's DV 78, which falls into my price range and from the reviews I read online seems to have both a good cd playback and good video quality. Can someone tell me how can I find a arcam dealer in Philadelphia area? I checked their website (they are actually a British company), but it has only one US dealer in Indiana listed on their website. Thanks.

Actually, what you found, and it is a bit confusing, is the distributor not the dealer. Go to the distributor's page and it has a "dealer locater" link and you can put in your zip. Since I don't know the zip for your neighborhood, I'll just give you the link to the distributors page:

http://www.audiophilesystems.com/

Good luck.

Thread Information