Forum Regular

Speaker Height Topspeed Kexo Anyone

Right now on my revised speaker locations, all the speakers with the exception of the center speaker are exactly 2' off the ground & approximately 1' under my ear level when I'm sitting on a couch (the center speaker is above the TV). Is this OK, or am I giving up noticeable sound quality by not having them be at ear level or higher then ear level? Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 03-16-2006 at 02:02 PM.

Forum Regular
    i read articles stating the fronts should be pretty close to ear level and the surorund should be a little above ear level. and the center should as close to the same level as the fronts as possible. i've changed my speakers around in my two ht set-ups plenty of times. in my family room, i have two floorstanding speakers as fronts so they're about a foot below ear level and the center is just about ear level. the surrounds are about 1.5 feet above ear level. i found this worked best for me with my family room. my living room is a little bigger and had some more flexbility since i have bookshelf speakers as fronts. the fronts are right at ear level and the surrounds are also at ear level. i would like to have the surrounds a bit higher, but i have nothing to sit them on- they are currently on bar stools. i tested them a little higher by placing them on boxes and i liked the sound better- i'm just haven't had the energy to get something different. the center channel of my living room is about 1 foot higher than my fronts.

one thing i usually do is move my fronts to a higher position if i plan on having a party for a couple reasons- 1. people (kids) can't get to them as easy and 2. usually people are up and walking around and standing so i like to have the speakers at ear level.

i recommend trying many different set-ups and play the same portion of a good movie scene (i use the incredibles) and see what you like best.

Forum Regular
    i read articles stating the fronts should be pretty close to ear level and the surorund should be a little above ear level. and the center should as close to the same level as the fronts as possible. i've changed my speakers around in my two ht set-ups plenty of times. in my family room, i have two floorstanding speakers as fronts so they're about a foot below ear level and the center is just about ear level. the surrounds are about 1.5 feet above ear level. i found this worked best for me with my family room. my living room is a little bigger and had some more flexbility since i have bookshelf speakers as fronts. the fronts are right at ear level and the surrounds are also at ear level. i would like to have the surrounds a bit higher, but i have nothing to sit them on- they are currently on bar stools. i tested them a little higher by placing them on boxes and i liked the sound better- i'm just haven't had the energy to get something different. the center channel of my living room is about 1 foot higher than my fronts.

one thing i usually do is move my fronts to a higher position if i plan on having a party for a couple reasons- 1. people (kids) can't get to them as easy and 2. usually people are up and walking around and standing so i like to have the speakers at ear level.

i recommend trying many different set-ups and play the same portion of a good movie scene (i use the incredibles) and see what you like best.

Definitely want them at ear level if not a little be above. you'd be amazed at the difference. It took me a while to realize that my front speakers were below ear level and when I raised them about 4-5", the difference was astounding, not to mention the more coherent soundfield I got from tv/movies. Take a tape measure and measure where your ears are when sitting and that's your target height.

I believe that what is best would be fronts & center at ear level or just slightly over. Rears & surounds should be 1.5 to 2 feet higher. Your center should be ok if you angle it down at yourself.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Ed.
    Try not to think of it in terms of height but rather the angle of degree in which your ears are off axis to the tweeter (the woofer is far more forgiving).
    You generally want your front 3 speakers to have the tweeter at ear level, that is you ears on axis in-line with the tweeter. The further away you are the more off axis one way or another you can go. But ideally you always want them at ear level.

For the surrounds, 2 or 3 feet is recommended based on an assumption of distance from the listener, but you want them to be a bit more off axis vertically from your other speakers. I'd say a good 2 feet above ear level.

You want the fronts to be at ear level from your listening position.

But if you really want them to sound better...look into upgrading from those Orb's.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Ed.
    Try not to think of it in terms of height but rather the angle of degree in which your ears are off axis to the tweeter (the woofer is far more forgiving).
    You generally want your front 3 speakers to have the tweeter at ear level, that is you ears on axis in-line with the tweeter. The further away you are the more off axis one way or another you can go. But ideally you always want them at ear level.

For the surrounds, 2 or 3 feet is recommended based on an assumption of distance from the listener, but you want them to be a bit more off axis vertically from your other speakers. I'd say a good 2 feet above ear level.
    What he said. The reason it's so important to have the tweeter at ear level is because they tend to "beam" more than the other drivers. IOW, the response will appear to fall off more sharply as you move off axis. The lower the frequency, the less directional it is.

Of course, many times furniture, WAF, life, etc. precludes ideal placements thereby making it very, very difficult to get the front three at the same height and all at ear level. The center channel is the main problem and of course, that's the most important one for HT. Usually, you'll just have to aim the tweeter of the cc towards ear level at the listening position. Remember, tweeters beam anyway so this is OK.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Fronts,tweeters at ear level when seated.
    Front center,tweeter is about 18 inches lower,but aimed upward.
    Rears,tweeters at ear level.
    Rear center,tweeter about a foot higher,but aimed down..

Tried many things,this sounds better to me.

bill

Both systems, I have fronts at ear level, centers are about 11/2' above ear level but aimed down toward listening position and surrounds are about 2' above ear level.

Biggest improvements I made besides new speakers were level matching my speaks with an SPL(although the auto setup does a great job) and raising my surrounds.

Excellent results for just a little bit of time and $$.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Right now on my revised speaker locations, all the speakers with the exception of the center speaker are exactly 2' off the ground & approximately 1' under my ear level when I'm sitting on a couch (the center speaker is above the TV). Is this OK, or am I giving up noticeable sound quality by not having them be at ear level or higher then ear level? Thanks for your advice.
    Well how is it so far?
    Look & Listen

Thread Information