Forum Regular

Yamaha DVD player failing

Hello all,

I have a Yamaha DVD player that was part of a HTIAB (don't have the model #, I'm at work right now). It's about four years old.

It recently stopped reading certain DVDs, but not all. For instance, I just bought the Big Lebowski SE brand new, got home, opened it up and threw it in, and it said NO DISK. I was able to get it to read after ejecting it a couple times. Some DVDs play fine, others won't play at all, and all my DVDs are in very good condition.

When I put in a DVD that won't play, I don't think the player is spinning it at all, just says NO DISK.

Is my player dying? Is it worth it to repair, or just buy a new one?

Thanks!

Just because a DVD is brand new does not mean that it's free of defects. Some discs simply won't load properly all the time.

Sounds to me like you might have a dirty lens on your DVD player. There are lens cleaning discs out there that you should try out, especially if these disc loading problems are intermittent.

Otherwise, it's entirely conceivable that your player is simply getting worn out, and due for replacement.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    I do have a CD lens cleaner, the disk with the little brush. I haven't tried that yet, but I will. Thanks for the advice.

Definitley buy a new one. Be glad you got 4 years out of that HTIB player, and this time don't buy an HTIB...as you've found out they are not the best quality.

Oh, and Opeth rocks

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Definitley buy a new one. Be glad you got 4 years out of that HTIB player, and this time don't buy an HTIB...as you've found out they are not the best quality.

Oh, and Opeth rocks
    Actually, it sounds like Opeth got a standalone Yamaha DVD player (which at that time used Panasonic transports). Most of their HTIBs simply package a receiver with a DVD player and 5.1 speaker set. I will agree though that if the lens cleaning suggestion does not work, then it's time for a new one.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular
    The lens cleaner worked like a charm. Oh, and the DVD player came as part of a HTIAB. DV-S5270 w/ the HTR-5240. This has been a good setup for my purposes. When the time comes, I'll do some serious upgrading.

Yeah, I love Opeth. Going to see them at the Wiltern in LA on Tuesday. I'm psyched.

I haven't listened to much Porcupine Tree, but I hear and read lots of good stuuf about them.
    NA, have you listened to Pelican? Much like PT (I assume) but no vocals. What little I've heard I loved.

Thread Information