AR Newbie Registered Member

Adcom Gfp 565 As Phono Preamp To Denon 1906

I just purchased a DENON 1906 for my surround system. I still listen to a lot of my LPs and I've got the turntable plugged into my ADCOM GFP 565 then going out via the LAB OUTPUTS to the CD inputs on the DENON.

My question is where do I set the volume control on the ADCOM? I've adjusted it so it sounds the same loudness as the CD connection using the optical cable. Is it possible to overwhelm the CD input on the DENON if the volume on the ADCOM is set too high? Any chance of causing damage to the DENON?

Another possibility

Quote Originally Posted by rek612@mywdo.com
    I just purchased a DENON 1906 for my surround system. I still listen to a lot of my LPs and I've got the turntable plugged into my ADCOM GFP 565 then going out via the LAB OUTPUTS to the CD inputs on the DENON.

My question is where do I set the volume control on the ADCOM? I've adjusted it so it sounds the same loudness as the CD connection using the optical cable. Is it possible to overwhelm the CD input on the DENON if the volume on the ADCOM is set too high? Any chance of causing damage to the DENON?
    I assume the "LAB" outputs are the variable, i.e. controlled by the Adcom's volume control? If you were to set the Adcom's volume control too high you might over load the Denon's inputs causing distortion, though perpaps not damaging it.

Another option might be to use the TAPE OUT connections on the Adcom, connecting them to the CD, or any other high-level input on the Denon. Usually Tape Out connects are not affected by the source unit's volume control, and you might just as well set the Volume to zero. This is how I connect my old preamp to my integrated amp; in my case too, my main amp doesn't have a phone preamp so I use my old preamp for its phono section.

Thanks for the answer. I just tried that, but apparently whatever comes out of the Tape 2 output doesn't register on the DENON. Tape 2 does work, I just tried it with the TEAC CD recorder. I'll just leave the ADCOM preamp at 1:00.

I also have the SCD-CE775. I used to have Maggie 1.5s, but I've been using Mirage M5si for a long time--I am really attached to bipolar thanks to the Maggies. Apart from the DENON (replaced a dead ADCOM 740) all the rest of the electronics are ADCOM.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rek612@mywdo.com
    Thanks for the answer. I just tried that, but apparently whatever comes out of the Tape 2 output doesn't register on the DENON. Tape 2 does work, I just tried it with the TEAC CD recorder. I'll just leave the ADCOM preamp at 1:00.

I also have the SCD-CE775. I used to have Maggie 1.5s, but I've been using Mirage M5si for a long time--I am really attached to bipolar thanks to the Maggies. Apart from the DENON (replaced a dead ADCOM 740) all the rest of the electronics are ADCOM.
    There HAS to be a way to get a phono signal from the Tape Outs or Processor Loop outs. I just want to be sure you've covered all the bases so don't be annoyed with me if you've already tried these. Do you have the Recording selector set to PHONO ? This must be selected in order to get a signal at the tape out jacks. Have you tried the Tape 1 outs or Signal Processor Loop out jacks ? In the case of the latter, make sure you have engaged the processor loop button on the front panel. Either one of these connections should provide a signal before the volume/tone controls. Alternately, there are a lot of pretty good performing, modest priced phono preamps on the market.

Needle Doctor: http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.401/.f

Smile Signal Processor outputs worked!!

I hadn't ever tried that before and it works fine.

I don't just use the ADCOM for phono. I run my I-pod, my CD recorder, and my SIRIUS receiver through it as well.

Thanks for the advice.

REK
    DK
    I go back to Tubes.

Thread Information