RCA LFE vs Speaker line sub inputs?

Can someone please break down the diff between the two?

I'm assuming if you go with speaker line inputs, your sub's controls take over. You will have extended bass with your mains, but your AVR will not recognize the sub, correct

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Pretty much. The speaker lines carry the signal from the receiver...all frequencies. The sub's plate amp will then use its crossover to re-route the bass signals to the subwoofer.

You're better off using the LFE output from the receiver if the option is available to you (with some exceptions, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Pretty much. The speaker lines carry the signal from the receiver...all frequencies. The sub's plate amp will then use its crossover to re-route the bass signals to the subwoofer.

You're better off using the LFE output from the receiver if the option is available to you (with some exceptions, of course).
    Thanks Kex. Actually the sub in question was the 10" Titanic kit at PE. I noticed this morning that the free shipping offer was available. It states high and low level inputs, but no LFE in.

LJ....high level is the speaker leads...low level is the RCA inputs (LFE in). Think of it as voltage....high voltage from the speaker leads, low voltage from the RCA (LFE) output of the receiver.
    Just different terminology.

Don't worry...it hooks up the same way any sub does.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    LJ....high level is the speaker leads...low level is the RCA inputs (LFE in). Think of it as voltage....high voltage from the speaker leads, low voltage from the RCA (LFE) output of the receiver.
    Just different terminology.

Don't worry...it hooks up the same way any sub does.
    Kex,I was confused about that, so I called PE this morning and asked their tech support if the 10" kit had RCA inputs and he told me no. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in our communication.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Kex,I was confused about that, so I called PE this morning and asked their tech support if the 10" kit had RCA inputs and he told me no. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in our communication.
    I'd say so.
    Look at all the plate amps PE sells...I don't think anyone makes a plate amp without inputs anymore. Many people don't call them RCA inputs. Could explain it.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Ditto what Kex said

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I haven't seen a self-powered sub without RCA inputs yet.

ALL unpowered subs will not have them, but that's not what your getting, as those are a speciality item.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information