Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sub for my bedroom?

Hey guys, any suggestions on a sub. My bedroom is 11x13 with 8ft ceilings. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a sealed sub or not. I really don't have a budget, but I don't need to over do it. I just need enough to fill the room with some clean bass. Thanks

I would go with one of the kits from Parts Express.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-760

This one is probably plenty for what you are doing.
    If you like doing things yourself you could put the parts together you need yourself and save.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....WebPage_ID=259
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Shouldn't you be doing some thumping of another kind in the bedroom ?

Seriously tho, for a small room where you won't be doing any critical listening, I'd go the Dayton route from partsexpress.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Shouldn't you be doing some thumping of another kind in the bedroom ?

Seriously tho, for a small room where you won't be doing any critical listening, I'd go the Dayton route from partsexpress.
    Stop that.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thanks guys. I may look into getting a kit.

If I browse other options, should I 100% be looking at sealed subs, due to the room size?

Side note: Mr. Topspeed, lil LJ here is plenty proof of a little too much thumping going on in the bedroom. Besides, there are more advantages to having a 5.1 system in the bedroom, than watching the latest action flics

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Thanks guys. I may look into getting a kit.

If I browse other options, should I 100% be looking at sealed subs, due to the room size?

Side note: Mr. Topspeed, lil LJ here is plenty proof of a little too much thumping going on in the bedroom. Besides, there are more advantages to having a 5.1 system in the bedroom, than watching the latest action flics
    What kind of action? No wait, please don't answer that.

100%? Hard to say. You can get good or bad in either. For the most part, sealed subs will give you a tighter response but don't go as loud. In a bedroom you souldn't need much volume so sealed seems better. When Kex gets involved, I'm sure he'll give you a list of pros and cons for both. The kits from PE seem nice. Or you could just order the components and build your own box. A 4' by 8', 3/4" MDF board can be had for about $22. Home Depot or Lowes will cut them up anyway you like too. As I recall you get the first 4 or 5 cuts free, then .25 for each cut after that.

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Check out Velodyne SPL 800R

Hey guys, any suggestions on a sub. My bedroom is 11x13 with 8ft ceilings. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a sealed sub or not. I really don't have a budget, but I don't need to over do it. I just need enough to fill the room with some clean bass. Thanks
    Are you going to remove all the furniture (bed ,dresser ) put polar bear carpet on floor with pillows?The sub going to bounce sound all over the place. I would go with one with driver at the bottom,at least the sound will travel.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I've built a lot of subs of both types this past year. The more subs I listen to the more I prefer sealed subs, so it's safe to say I have a certain bias here.
    That said, I think a sealed sub might be best for your small bedroom here. It'll benefit more from the room's transfer function (room gain) and should provide a bit tighter, and more accurate response. This should compensate for any loss in SPL a sealed design has compared to a ported. It probably won't play quite as low as a ported sub could, though.
    Let's see, some quick math here:
    13 ft is your longest dimension so,
    565/13 = 43 Hz...where room gain starts...Then theoretical room gain will be +12 dB at 21.5Hz.
    Won't exactly work that way, but it gives you an idea. Your sealed sub rolls off at a the rate the room gain adds, so it effectively extends the output. Great in small rooms!!! A ported sub rolls off so fast that room gains contribution is minimal, but the ported design extends response. Some argue a sealed sub actually sounds more "full" or deeper because of this. I'd say it's close, with the edge going to porteds in my experience.
    I don't think high - mid 20's Hz response is out of the question for you if you go with the 10" Titanic kit.

You up for building one? I could think of some better options that would be a bit more customized to your needs.

Robert Smith Registered Member
    Partsexpress.com is a good route and it's a chance to play with sharp objects and accidently cut yourself. Make sure you wear jeans and safety glasses. Having a subwoofer under your bed could prove interesting. That gives me a idea......you could call it the PartSexPress.

Parts Express it is then....

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    You up for building one? I could think of some better options that would be a bit more customized to your needs.
    Whadaya thinking Kex?

I'd perfer to do a kit, rather than having to cut wood and what not. The kit that Topspeed and GM suggested seems perfect, nice price too.

I built the 12" Titanic for my parents (my first DIY project a few years ago). It's a super nice sub for sure. It is a bit pricey for 2 reasons. The woofer is a high output design, good quality throughout, but doesn't come cheap. The cabinet is also pretty pricey, but it is pre-finished/cut.

Still, I had a Paradigm PW-2200 at the time that couldn't keep up, not even close. The Titanic sounded much stronger, tighter, more accurate, whatever you want to call it.

You could buy the cabinet from PE and sub in a different woofer/amp combo and save some money, but you'd probably need to cut holes in the cabinet. If that's not an option, then you're probably best off with something like the Titanic Kit.

Normally I don't recommend the 10" version. But your small room is the exception. It should thrive in there.

You could buy the cabinet from PE and sub in a different woofer/amp combo and save some money, but you'd probably need to cut holes in the cabinet. If that's not an option, then you're probably best off with something like the Titanic Kit.
    I really just don't want to bother with the cutting. I don't have the proper tools anyways. So I'm looking at $420 including shipping. Kex, if you think this kit is enough, than I'll trust your judgement. Can you think of any other subs in that price range that will match the performance of the 10" Titanic Kit?

I really just don't want to bother with the cutting. I don't have the proper tools anyways. So I'm looking at $420 including shipping. Kex, if you think this kit is enough, than I'll trust your judgement. Can you think of any other subs in that price range that will match the performance of the 10" Titanic Kit?
    I can't think of any "kits" of the top of my head with cabinets that are close in price that I've heard myself or from relibable sources that I'd compare to the Titanic. If you had a router I could think of alternative woofers that would work in that box and do as well or better for less money. The Titanic woofer are good woofers, but they tend to me "jacks of all trades, masters of none", as the saying goes. Are you looking for max SPL? Good sound quality? Low frequency extension? Wll this be used for music or movies exclusively? A bit of both?

I'm confident you'll be happy either way. If you're not, I'm sure PE would take it back under their return policy.

No worries though. As a complete kit it's a great deal. I thought shipping was free on this thing?

I haven't heard the 10" version in the kit included cabinet. I've heard it in 2 other cabinets, one larger ported, one larger sealed. The sealed one I heard was designed exlusively to integrate with the owners stereo speakers. It played down to 29 Hz or so, but was all that he needed for his music. He sold a $700 Velodyne and used the money to buy the parts.
    I seriously doubt you'll find an SVS or Hsu sub for that money that would sound as good. It might play lower or louder though. Maybe different, but I doubt better. I know the closest thing Paradigm would have would be the PW-2100. I owned one briefly. My parents 12" Titanic was better than my PW-2200 in just about every way. The PW-2200 played a tiny bit louder, but I never pushed it that hard anyway. I'm suspecting the PW-2100 would perform similarly against the 10" version.
    Vance Dickason had a hand in designing these. He's no stranger to designing subs, does a lot of consulting work for companies like Velodyne and TC Sounds. He wrote the DIY speaker builder's "bible".

Adire use to sell the Rava for $400, which might have been a better option for you. You might be able to find one used?

Or if you can be patient, those Titanic subs get sold by PE on ebay quite often...I'm sure one would turn up soon enough at a bit of a discount.

I can't think of any "kits" of the top of my head with cabinets that are close in price that I've heard myself or from relibable sources that I'd compare to the Titanic. If you had a router I could think of alternative woofers that would work in that box and do as well or better for less money. The Titanic woofer are good woofers, but they tend to me "jacks of all trades, masters of none", as the saying goes. Are you looking for max SPL? Good sound quality? Low frequency extension? Wll this be used for music or movies exclusively? A bit of both?

I'm confident you'll be happy either way. If you're not, I'm sure PE would take it back under their return policy.

No worries though. As a complete kit it's a great deal. I thought shipping was free on this thing?

I haven't heard the 10" version in the kit included cabinet. I've heard it in 2 other cabinets, one larger ported, one larger sealed. The sealed one I heard was designed exlusively to integrate with the owners stereo speakers. It played down to 29 Hz or so, but was all that he needed for his music. He sold a $700 Velodyne and used the money to buy the parts.
    I seriously doubt you'll find an SVS or Hsu sub for that money that would sound as good. It might play lower or louder though. Maybe different, but I doubt better. I know the closest thing Paradigm would have would be the PW-2100. I owned one briefly. My parents 12" Titanic was better than my PW-2200 in just about every way. The PW-2200 played a tiny bit louder, but I never pushed it that hard anyway. I'm suspecting the PW-2100 would perform similarly against the 10" version.
    Vance Dickason had a hand in designing these. He's no stranger to designing subs, does a lot of consulting work for companies like Velodyne and TC Sounds. He wrote the DIY speaker builder's "bible".

Adire use to sell the Rava for $400, which might have been a better option for you. You might be able to find one used?

Or if you can be patient, those Titanic subs get sold by PE on ebay quite often...I'm sure one would turn up soon enough at a bit of a discount.
    Does PE ever do a free shipping offer or something like that?

I looked up the estimated shipping and it was about $60. That brings the price up to $420. The sub will be mostly for movies, with music going along for the ride. I will do some peeping around and hopefully something will pop up on ebay or something. I picked up some surrounds on Audiogon today, so that kinda put the sub thing on hold for a little bit. (WAF. Funny how wifee never cared about my HT habits, until it moved into the bedroom)

The Titanic seems to offer alot for $358 and that's probably a good price point for a bedroom sub. I have a few buddies with the tools I would need so maybe building one is a good idea. Especially since I'm under radar now. I guess I cant blame her since the 2.0 project somehow morphed into 5.1. Perhaps I should play it like Pat P and slip new speakers in on the quiet.

Anyways, if you have time Kex, perhaps you can provide some links to that orginal money saving plan you had so I can put that on my options list when the time is right.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Perhaps I should play it like Pat P and slip new speakers in on the quiet.
    I have an HTIB system in the bedroom. Once in a while, when I am home alone I switch out a couple of the crappy speakers for the Infinty's from my main system. The main system is all boxed up for our eventual move. At that time I'll need new speakers for that system.

Well, LJ, there's several other woofers out there, some 10, some 12" that are cheaper than the Titanic woofers. I'd recommend the 240 watt plate amp and one of those....I'd have too look. Throw in another $100 for the cabinet if you can't build it yourself, and you're probably down to about $280 plus shipping. If you can build a cabinet, you just need a sheet of MDF for $20 and $15 to finish it with paint/vinyl laminate, etc. Maybe $200- $210 plus $30 for shipping (less weight without the cabinet).

I've built 3 subs for people now that use an 8" woofer and a 70 watt amp. Ported mind you, but it would do wonders in a small room. Very efficient woofer so you don't need more than 70 watts unless you want serious party volumes (but this is a secondary bedroom system right?). These cost me about $100 to build. They'll outperform your basic entry level $300-$400 10" woofers no problem at all. 5 years back I had an old PDR-12 from Paradigm. I think it cost me $450 or something. The little 8" woofer sounds much more musical. (but won't play as loud). You just need to build a box, or buy a pre-made cabinet.
    Subs are easy. You'll find the cabinets are always the single most expensive part of speakers (unless you're using $200 drivers, but very few do). You save a ton if you can build your own cabinets (or know someone who can).

L.J. Im past the radar limit,and if she ever finds the stuff in hidding in laundry room Im history.The power amp will probably send me to the dog house.Guess I should do laundry for a few months so she does'nt snoop.Just last week somebody at one of the church I take care ,gave me 2 Heathkit tube amp and tube FM tuner.These were free so no problem,not that big and sound great.

Well, LJ, there's several other woofers out there, some 10, some 12" that are cheaper than the Titanic woofers. I'd recommend the 240 watt plate amp and one of those....I'd have too look. Throw in another $100 for the cabinet if you can't build it yourself, and you're probably down to about $280 plus shipping. If you can build a cabinet, you just need a sheet of MDF for $20 and $15 to finish it with paint/vinyl laminate, etc. Maybe $200- $210 plus $30 for shipping (less weight without the cabinet).

I've built 3 subs for people now that use an 8" woofer and a 70 watt amp. Ported mind you, but it would do wonders in a small room. Very efficient woofer so you don't need more than 70 watts unless you want serious party volumes (but this is a secondary bedroom system right?). These cost me about $100 to build. They'll outperform your basic entry level $300-$400 10" woofers no problem at all. 5 years back I had an old PDR-12 from Paradigm. I think it cost me $450 or something. The little 8" woofer sounds much more musical. (but won't play as loud). You just need to build a box, or buy a pre-made cabinet.
    Subs are easy. You'll find the cabinets are always the single most expensive part of speakers (unless you're using $200 drivers, but very few do). You save a ton if you can build your own cabinets (or know someone who can).

Thanks Kex and the rest of you guys!!! I will most likely go the PE route, unless something pops up on ebay that catches my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    L.J. Im past the radar limit,and if she ever finds the stuff in hidding in laundry room Im history.The power amp will probably send me to the dog house.Guess I should do laundry for a few months so she does'nt snoop.Just last week somebody at one of the church I take care ,gave me 2 Heathkit tube amp and tube FM tuner.These were free so no problem,not that big and sound great.
    I was just nicely asked not to make our bedroom look like a HT and somehow I managed to do the exact opposite. Perhaps I can throw some more pictures and fake plants in there to blend things up

I was just nicely asked not to make our bedroom look like a HT and somehow I managed to do the exact opposite. Perhaps I can throw some more pictures and fake plants in there to blend things up
    My bedroom is off limit for HT,you should buy those rock speaker.Maybe if you put some mirror on ceiling she'll forgive you What about this one,think she would notice?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PAT.P; 02-24-2006 at 07:40 PM.

My bedroom is off limit for HT,you should buy those rock speaker.Maybe if you put some mirror on ceiling she'll forgive you What about this one,think she would notice?
    LOL...Oh that's too funny. Perhaps with some nice plants she wont notice

LOL...Oh that's too funny. Perhaps with some nice plants she wont notice
    Here are the Plant Speaker by Sonance
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Someone should make a 5.1 pet rock speaker system. "Oh honey, they have to be kept away from each other or they'll fight." Good luck. The plant speakers look nice Pat.P.

Here are the Plant Speaker by Sonance
    Nice. I already have some of those for the yard. They sound pretty good too. Well everything sounds good to me anyways.

GM, pet rock collection in 5.1 positioning. Haha, lol. That would raise a few eyebrows.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information