Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Help finding a good receiver to power speakers in several rooms

Looking for help finding the right receiver. I want to power speakers in 5 -6 rooms. Dont need a ton of power, but I do want very good sound. I'm thinking that a speaker switcher and IM volume controls will work so I wont have to go to a multiroom amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Lane
    Looking for help finding the right receiver. I want to power speakers in 5 -6 rooms. Dont need a ton of power, but I do want very good sound. I'm thinking that a speaker switcher and IM volume controls will work so I wont have to go to a multiroom amp?
    1)Your better off buying a multi-channel amp with seperate pre amp for the source to add tuner ,cd.2)Or do like commercial application use an amp with a 70 volt /100 watt line transformer and from there a speaker transformer to each speakers.
    Last edited by PAT.P; 02-22-2006 at 04:44 AM.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Pat,

Not sure I follow, a little over my head here...... you're not talking about a multi room amp, but rather an amp with multiple sources, inputs? Can you give me an example? And will a speaker selector do it, or do I need the line transformer, etc??

Is this getting expensive?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Pat is right....powering speakers in more than 2 or 3 rooms is beyond any receiver I'm aware of. You certainly wouldn't power them all at once, but I can't think of any models that would even have enough connections.
    Maybe you could provide a bit more info so people can better understand your needs. How many speakers are we talking about here? What kind of speakers? What impedance? How many would you drive simultaneously?
    And of course, what is your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Pat is right....powering speakers in more than 2 or 3 rooms is beyond any receiver I'm aware of. You certainly wouldn't power them all at once, but I can't think of any models that would even have enough connections.
    Maybe you could provide a bit more info so people can better understand your needs. How many speakers are we talking about here? What kind of speakers? What impedance? How many would you drive simultaneously?
    And of course, what is your budget?
    Most time people use a zone amplifier like TOA .Bryston make a zone amp 875Z ,Adcom also makes one ,dont know the model their site is under construction for this section.These amp are usally for commercial or new home (remote control,wall plate).

Forum Regular
    A regular receiver will work if it has lots of power(with a speaker switcher) but it will not work well. Nuvo is a nice option it is home audio multi-source/multi-room audio
    nuvotechnologies.com
    Also that 70V home run wiring will work fine, you will need 70v speakers or transformers that way though and 70v volume controls after you add this up this option gets as expensive as the nuvo
    I would say if it is commercial use 70V if it is home check out Nuvo and similar things

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

While there may be...

...some options one could cobble together, consumer level gear isn't really designed for these applications.

As mentioned, commercial-type, multi-area systems from companies such as Russound or Niles are probably your best bet, as they have all the gear required to do what you want.

jimHJJ(...good luck...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Great info - thanks for the help. As suggested, I'll try to explain what I"m after more clearly....

This is not a commercial application and I don't need multi source audio. I only want to be able to get audio, from one source at at time, throughout my house. I plan on in wall/ceiling speakers - 5 - 6 pair and none of them need to be huge. Not looking to rock the house, just to get nice sound throughout. What I have learned so far is that I can do this with a speaker selector and IM volume controls - but thats what I'm trying to clarify. I would sure rather save the expense of a multi-room amp.

First I've heard of the 70v speakers.... I'll look up the nuvo alternative

Oh, budget? Hard to say - I'm hoping for under $2,500

Forum Regular
    Still looking for help here.....

I've looked into Nuvo - looks good - anyone have experience with them? Are there other alternatives that I should be looking at within my price range?

I'm still considering the receiver/speaker selector option - don't know which is the better/more cost effective way to go...

Thanks

Forum Regular
    Still looking for help here.....

I've looked into Nuvo - looks good - anyone have experience with them? Are there other alternatives that I should be looking at within my price range?

I'm still considering the receiver/speaker selector option - don't know which is the better/more cost effective way to go...

Thanks
    I have lots of experience with the Nuvo, it works well. I haven't heard any complaints yet. It is easy and clean. There are similar things, I think another one is either Denon or distributed by Denon and it may run a bit cheaper though the Nuvo should be right in the range your looking at.
    The power amp/speakers way should still be more cost effective. I did some comparing for you.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddL
    I have lots of experience with the Nuvo, it works well. I haven't heard any complaints yet. It is easy and clean. There are similar things, I think another one is either Denon or distributed by Denon and it may run a bit cheaper though the Nuvo should be right in the range your looking at.
    The power amp/speakers way should still be more cost effective. I did some comparing for you.
    I'm narrowing my decision and looking more closely at the Nuvo system. I wonder if I can get more info, maybe some first hand experience reports?

I"m looking at the 4 zone Simplese - it looks like I can run two pair of speakers off a zone, if necessary, though with some reduced volume- anyone tried it? Also - its appears to have only two sources - is that true? If so, is there a way I can feed two sources into one input with a splitter - not to run at the same time of course...

Thanks

Forum Regular
    Sorry I have been away for a few days.
    There is a new version of the simplese which is 4 zone 4 source. not sure if it is out right now, but if not it will be soon.
    We usually only run 1 pair off of 1 zone.
    You might want to check the Essentia it has 6 zone 6 source.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Todd,

I have looked at the Simplese 4 zone/4 source and it looks good. I'm a little unsure about doubling up speaker pairs tho... Best price I've found is $999. The Essentia is out of my price range, given that I will also need to find a tuner and CD player.

I tried to find the Denon muilti room that you metioned and could only find HT stuff... are there other brands I should consider ie: Channel Plus, etc?

Also - earlier you said "The power amp/speakers way should still be more cost effective." I didn't follow you - were you referring to a receiver and speaker selector set up like I stared looking at? I'm still not sure that's not the better way to for for what I'm doing - if it has enough power..

Sure appreciate your help.

Forum Regular
    You don't neccesarily have to go with the Nuvo tuner, it is probably not practical(it is dual) for you and is overpriced, I pair it with a NAD but that may even be overkill. Price sounds good.

The Denon is not actually Denon it is just the same distributer around here, I beleive it is called Russound I remember them being cheaper than Nuvo. I have''t had the chance to see or work with Channel Plus yet.

The receiver/speaker switcher is what I meant would be more cost effecient. If you did a single in-ceiling stereo speaker per room the power would probably be okay. But it is nice to be able to have control in the room that you are in and not have to go to your central components to change a source. And the seperate source option is nice especially if you have a family to compete with for control.

Forum Regular
    Single source is not a concern as there are only two of us in the house. I'm now leaning more toward the receiver/switcher approach, given cost and the needs of our application here....

But I'm getting conflicting stories on the ability to power 5 or 6 speaker pair with a receiver. I'm told that a 100 - 120 wpc receiver will work fine, using an impedance matching selector. (ie: 120 wpc - 6 speaker pair - leaves 20 wpc per set of speakers?)

But then others, including you, express concern about that being adequate. What do you think? BTW - we probably wont be running all speakers at the same time. Also - I'm interested in the single stereo speaker option - how well do they work and where do I find them?

Any recommendations on receivers that would be good for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks again!

Forum Regular

Great timing...

I want to piggy back on this thread if possible. I am looking to run a commercial ap (restaurant) where I can run maybe 6 total speakers off one source. Has to be able to carry good sound through a space 40' x 100'. Would a couple of subs help? Is there anything out there that I could run an ipod through? Not sure even where to start.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    As the other fella said, the receiver/volume control option would probably be your most cost efficient way to go about things. Russound makes some great for the money speakers. They also sell speaker connecting blocks that pair with their volume controls that will allow you to run multiple pairs off of one receiver, and eliminate the speaker selector. I would definitely make sure you get a high current receiver, though. If, like you said, you are going to play just an ambient music throughout, then you will be fine with five or six pairs. Russound also makes the single point speakers or (single stereo speaker) you asked about, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeDHomer
    I want to piggy back on this thread if possible. I am looking to run a commercial ap (restaurant) where I can run maybe 6 total speakers off one source. Has to be able to carry good sound through a space 40' x 100'. Would a couple of subs help? Is there anything out there that I could run an ipod through? Not sure even where to start.
    For some info on restaurant application go to www.crownaudio.com .At the top you'll see "Application" and from there "system diagrams" you'll see "restaurant retail"You'll need speakers in the 100+ db range like JBL PRO.
    Last edited by PAT.P; 03-10-2006 at 05:14 AM.

Forum Regular
    How high are your ceilings?
    Are there seperate rooms sectioned off?
    Is it ambient music or forfront?
    Some restaurants I have seen overdo their systems and it looks awkward and wastes money. Check into 70V systems with commercial grade speakers (in-ceiling if they are not above 15ft.). Don't get hosed into a concert hall setup for dining room ap.
    Ipods can be put though most receivers with a stereo to rca adaptor.

Forum Regular
    Single source is not a concern as there are only two of us in the house. I'm now leaning more toward the receiver/switcher approach, given cost and the needs of our application here....

But I'm getting conflicting stories on the ability to power 5 or 6 speaker pair with a receiver. I'm told that a 100 - 120 wpc receiver will work fine, using an impedance matching selector. (ie: 120 wpc - 6 speaker pair - leaves 20 wpc per set of speakers?)

But then others, including you, express concern about that being adequate. What do you think? BTW - we probably wont be running all speakers at the same time. Also - I'm interested in the single stereo speaker option - how well do they work and where do I find them?

Any recommendations on receivers that would be good for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks again!
    My main concern in the wattage is that 120W of Sony or JVC (example among others) is not the same as 120W in a better receiver. A 60W - 100W in a good quality receiver should do if you don't run more than two or three at the same time.
    Klipsch makes a good stereo in-ceiling. Audiotrak makes a very affordable one and is good for the money.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddL
    How high are your ceilings?
    Are there seperate rooms sectioned off?
    Is it ambient music or forfront?
    Some restaurants I have seen overdo their systems and it looks awkward and wastes money. Check into 70V systems with commercial grade speakers (in-ceiling if they are not above 15ft.). Don't get hosed into a concert hall setup for dining room ap.
    Ipods can be put though most receivers with a stereo to rca adaptor.

Thanks!

Ceilings will be higher than 15', kind of a row brick building. One large room for all intent and purposes. The music will be blues, bluegrass etc...Will want it to be ambient but with the potential to make itself heard.

Good Recs on 70V systems? Should we just hire someone?

Thanks!

Ceilings will be higher than 15', kind of a row brick building. One large room for all intent and purposes. The music will be blues, bluegrass etc...Will want it to be ambient but with the potential to make itself heard.

Good Recs on 70V systems? Should we just hire someone?
    There so many Crown,Toa,ect any Pro shop will have them for commercial application.You could even buy use from them.Did you check the Crown site I've listed for you.As for hook -up if you buy everything from them (amp,speaker) they have installer.All the best.

Forum Regular
    I can't believe B&K hasn't been mentioned yet for multi-room/multi-zone:

http://www.bkcomp.com/lifestyle_multizone.asp

Forum Regular
    OK, I'm going with the receiver/speaker selector approach. Seems to be the best route, though I will check out he Russound speaker connector mentioned...

Someone expressed concern about the quality of receiver and how power capacity is stated - I didn't follow that quite....

Recommendaitons on a very good quality receiver for my purpose?

thx

Forum Regular
    OK, I'm going with the receiver/speaker selector approach. Seems to be the best route, though I will check out he Russound speaker connector mentioned...

Someone expressed concern about the quality of receiver and how power capacity is stated - I didn't follow that quite....

Recommendaitons on a very good quality receiver for my purpose?

thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information