Forum Regular

Connecting IPOD/Mp3 Player to a Receiver & Sound Quality

Would appreciate any answers to the following:

If I connect my MP3 Player (creative zen nano plus) to my receiver:

1. If I listen to my receiver by headphones will it sound better than if I listen to the mp3 player directly by the same headphones?

2. What will the sound quality be if I listen via my speakers as opposed to a CD of the same recording?

3. Does the connecting cable from the mp3 player to the receiver make a difference in audio quality? If so, any recommendation for a specific cable? Is there an optic connecting cable from an MP3 player to a receiver?

Thanks

1. I wouldn't think it would make much difference, your receiver might have a better EQ if needed but the source is the same. Crap in = crap out (not saying yours is crap...just saying if you don't like the sound of the MP3 player your receiver won't magically bring it up to CD standards).

2. This also applies to #1...but it depends on the bitrate of your MP3's and the quality of your MP3 player. Low bitrate MP3's will not compete with a CD and listening to them through speakers will only amplify the crappiness of MP3's. High bitrate (256k) should sound much better, but still not CD.

3. Does your MP3 player have an optical output? If so, plug in the optical cable and find out how it sounds!

I actually do this also, I have the 2GB Sandisk Sansa and I hook it to my front inputs using a 3.5mm to RCA cable. I use it just for background music or playing music outside, this method has replaced me burning files to a CD and playing them on my DVD player. It sounds fine, but not for critical listening. I also do not use MP3's, I only use WMA's which I found to sound so much better even at lower bitrates.

Forum Regular
    an mp3 player wont cut it but a decent sound card in your pc will..... i have an audigy card in my pc and connected it to my yamaha receiver and i play my mp3's..The sound quality is quite good..

Thread Information