Forum Regular

Connecting Equipment ?

Hey everyone. Just got my new reciever , And there are sooo many options as far as connecting my dvd player and vcr ( barely use it ). I want the best picture and audio sound possible. Any help would be great. Reciever is pioneer VSX-815, onkyo DV-CP702. Down the road there will be a powered amp. Thanks

Utmostjamin1
    what kind of TV do you have... the DVD player i would connect the video connection via Component cables straight to the TV for the best picture possible... to connect to the Receiver use a digital connector either an Optical or coax and you will be fine.. does the VCR have Svideeo outputs? if so use them. if not use an inexpensive set of RCA AV cables ( since you said you rarely use it id cheap out on that)
    Klipsch RF-7 fronts
    Klipsch RC-7 center
    Klipsch RS-7 surrounds
    Velodyne DD-15 Subwoofer
    Integra DTC 9.8 Preamp Processor
    ROTELRMB 1095 Multichannel amplifier
    Oppo DV-980 H
    Samsung BDP 1500
    Sony 80 GB Playstation 3
    Sony Bravia XBR 46" LCD HD-TV

golden ear
    for audio, you must have these connections: optical digital, analog stereo, analog multichannel. for video, have it in this order of priority..choose only 1 from: component video, S-video, composite video

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Jamison pretty much summed it up. For your DVD player all you need is a coax digital cable or an optical cable. There's no difference in sound quality, though purists will tell you the coax is better. I like the coax only because it's cheaper (just use any RCA cable, an extra "video" (yellow) one works great) and more durable than the plastics in the fiber optics.
    But these days I rarely hear of problems in optical cables so either are fine.

For video, component-video cables are best. You might have to select that option in your dvd player so it knows to send the signal through them. Then S-Video, then good ol' yeller (rca video cable).

Thread Information