Thread: pop on turn off

Forum Regular

pop on turn off

Recently I put back into use a Sony GX59ES receiver about 12 years old with 9 years of use. I've noticed on turn off a slight noise or pop through the speakers. Since these are
    new speakers I'm abit concerned. I don't recall this in the past. It's the same on panel or remote. Otherwise this receiver performs as new. Is this just the way protection system worked in the past? Or is it in need of service. For now I just turn the volume down at days end and don't turn off. Maybe cause' of the new speakers I'm overly concerned. Well at least the TiVo has company at night. Thanks

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Normally I'd say it's nothing to worry about...a lot of amps have the initial surge creating that pop...except you don't think it was there before...
    If it's not too loud it's likely not doing any damage...I have a few amps and receivers that behave the same way.

Forum Regular
    Yeah it's not loud at all, more noticeable up close. I kinda figured it was just over concern due to having new speakers. More than likely it's operating normal and has always been like that. I'm thinking that the receiver I just sold was probably less loud on turn off which makes this one more notieable.
    Last edited by 2chAlex; 02-12-2006 at 07:24 AM.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    If its 100db,worry. LOL
    Look & Listen

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    If its 100db,worry. LOL
    haha, yeah that would be a problem

KC6HBA
    It could be that you have other things working off of the same circuit as your audio gear. I experienced the same thing, and came to the conclusion that my living room lights were on the same circuit as my home theater setup.
    "If it's too loud, you're too old!"...Homer Jenkins

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Perhaps your new...

...speakers are a bit more sensitive, perhaps you are just listening too close...chances are, it's just the sound of the power supply capacitors discharging and the newer speaks are simply more revealing of that normal function...

jimHJJ(...probably of more concern would be severe turn-on thumps...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...speakers are a bit more sensitive, perhaps you are just listening too close...chances are, it's just the sound of the power supply capacitors discharging and the newer speaks are simply more revealing of that normal function...

jimHJJ(...probably of more concern would be severe turn-on thumps...)

Thanks RL, They are abit more sensitive 90db vs 89db . I've been looking at upgrading
    to a better power unit that includes power conditioning. Once I decide between rack unit or behind the stand. Seems to be monster power or belkin. The previous post had mentioned circuits within in the room.

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by 2chAlex
    Thanks RL, They are abit more sensitive 90db vs 89db . I've been looking at upgrading
    to a better power unit that includes power conditioning. Once I decide between rack unit or behind the stand. Seems to be monster power or belkin. The previous post had mentioned circuits within in the room.
    ...I was referring to the capacitors in the power supply of the amplifier section of your receiver, not those that may be contained in a power/line conditioner

Turn-on/turn-off thumps are usually caused by circumstances within the audio system proper, not outboard units...Many things can leak into the audio chain, light switches, refrigerators, AC units and light dimmers. Since you experience this difficulty when turning off your Sony, I believe those things can be discounted.

jimHJJ(...hope that's clearer...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...I was referring to the capacitors in the power supply of the amplifier section of your receiver, not those that may be contained in a power/line conditioner

Turn-on/turn-off thumps are usually caused by circumstances within the audio system proper, not outboard units...Many things can leak into the audio chain, light switches, refrigerators, AC units and light dimmers. Since you experience this difficulty when turning off your Sony, I believe those things can be discounted.

jimHJJ(...hope that's clearer...)
    I understood about the capacitors, the line conditioning was just an afterthought. As I'm still in the decisive stage as wheather its a needed thing or not

Ok...

Quote Originally Posted by 2chAlex
    I understood about the capacitors, the line conditioning was just an afterthought. As I'm still in the decisive stage as wheather its a needed thing or not
    ...just wanted to clarify...I, myself, have never had problems in that area...just luck I guess...

jimHJJ(...or perhaps I'm not a full-tilt audiopile...)

Forum Regular
    Thanks again for the insight

Thread Information