Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AVR for the bedroom?

Alright, I ve been working on a system for the bedroom and now it's AVR time. Im looking to spend about 300 or so. I really don't need much as far as features go, I just want something reliable. Right now I'm thinking Onkyo 503, Pioneer 815, Yamaha 5840 or Panasonic SA-XR55. I have not done any comparisons or auditioning yet.

I'm wondering do you guys have any comments or suggestions on these products or similar in this price range?

If you own any of these products I'd like to know what you think of it?

Forum Regular
    Again, to sound like a broken record you can get a Denon 3801 Receiver used in excellent to very good condition with remote & instruction book for $375 -$450 on Ebay including shipping & if you have a universal remote, sell your Denon Remote for $40- $50 on Ebay. My set up in my bedroom is the same as my living room but with a 34" Panasonic HDTV (34WX-15) & a less powerful sub because my living room sub in the confined bedroom space is too powerful). Same Orb Mod 1 5 Satellite Speakers but with an Accoustic Research Sub.

I'd rather buy new and local. I want to audition a few before deciding and I'd also like a warranty so used isn't gonna work.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Alright, I ve been working on a system for the bedroom and now it's AVR time. Im looking to spend about 300 or so. I really don't need much as far as features go, I just want something reliable. Right now I'm thinking Onkyo 503, Pioneer 815, Yamaha 5840 or Panasonic SA-XR55. I have not done any comparisons or auditioning yet.

I'm wondering do you guys have any comments or suggestions on these products or similar in this price range?

If you own any of these products I'd like to know what you think of it?
    Obviously auditioning them is the key.
    A quick surf indicates the Yamaha is the cheapest.

I own the 815 and have been very happy with it. I won't shill it here just look at my review on this site and the links in it for a more detailed review. Your local BB should have it in stock to audition.

Good Hunting!!!
    Last edited by thekid; 02-10-2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Obviously auditioning them is the key.
    A quick surf indicates the Yamaha is the cheapest.

I own the 815 and have been very happy with it. I won't shill it here just look at my review on this site and the links in it for a more detailed review. Your local BB should have it in stock to audition.

Good Hunting!!!
    Actually that Onkyo 503 is on sale at CC for only $239. I might audition that one first. CC has a great return policy and excellent CS.

Yes I read your review one the 815. Nice job, by the way! I know I'm gonna have to get off my butt and compare these products,but it's such a headache since there all pretty decent units.

Forum Regular

No Guts No Glory

I'd rather buy new and local. I want to audition a few before deciding and I'd also like a warranty so used isn't gonna work.
    Don't take this personally, but no guts, no glory, especially if you're talking under $500. The odds of getting ripped off on Ebay when you buy from a seller with excellent feedback over 50 positives 95% positive feedback or better is minimal and for myself, I like the odds of getting a good excellent working $1300 receiver that's a few years old from a name company like Denon then something new but mediocore for $300 with a 1 year warranty but to each their own. Good luck with whatever you buy

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Don't take this personally, but no guts, no glory, especially if you're talking under $500. The odds of getting ripped off on Ebay when you buy from a seller with excellent feedback over 50 positives 95% positive feedback or better is minimal and for myself, I like the odds of getting a good excellent working $1300 receiver that's a few years old from a name company like Denon then something new but mediocore for $300 with a 1 year warranty but to each their own. Good luck with whatever you buy
    ED,

I feel what your saying, but it is not a $1300 AVR. If it was, it would sell for that much. The unit is priced at $375- $400 because that is what it is worth. I am not concerned with getting ripped off, I'm concerned with being able to get a product I know I can simply return to the store I purchased it from if a problem occurs. A 5 year protection plan at CC is only $39. I am not limited to how much I want to spend on an AVR. I set the mark at 300 because I don't need much. That 3801 may have a slight advantage sound wise, but I'm willing to trade that off for security. Anyways, your right, to each his own. I'm sure your happy with your product and I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I go with.

Forum Regular

Circuit City is A Good Way To Go

I'd check out Circuit City then as they have a no hassles return policy. You might want to "try out" 3 receivers at a time, if your using your credit card. I still say a $1300 7.1 Denon receiver that's 5 years old will give you as good if not better sound then a $700 new receiver. You also might want to use Magnolia for checking out receivers. VSX-1015TX Pioneer Receiver New is only $429 from One Call with warranty & has gotten excellent reviews on Amazon.com
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 02-10-2006 at 07:29 PM.

Yes, I have returned many products at CC with no questions asked. I have slowly moved away from BB due to the constant problems I have run into with them. You would think that BB would follow this no hassle policy. Although I see no problem with purchasing gear from BB, you had better hold onto your receipt for dear life.

Forum Regular
    Hey out of curiosity, have you listened to any CD's on your main system from any DVD players other then 2910 & if so did you notice any difference in sound quality as your DVD player is top rated? The Denon 2805's are going on Ebay from anywhere from $420 to $570 new with a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Hey out of curiosity, have you listened to any CD's on your main system from any DVD players other then 2910 & if so did you notice any difference in sound quality as your DVD player is top rated? The Denon 2805's are going on Ebay from anywhere from $420 to $570 new with a warranty.
    I've played CDs on my 2910, but thru a digital connection, which means my 2805 is doing the processing. There was a huge diff. in sound for SACD playback vs. the Samsung 841 I owned for a short while.

Forum Regular
    I don't think auditioning is going to do much at this price point. They will all pretty much sound the same- maybe a few differences here and there, but nothing too big. I recommend picking the one you are most comfortable with regarding ease of use and options. Yamahas are usually known for their quality builds and Pioneer you can usually get money receiver for your money.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    I don't think auditioning is going to do much at this price point. They will all pretty much sound the same- maybe a few differences here and there, but nothing too big. I recommend picking the one you are most comfortable with regarding ease of use and options. Yamahas are usually known for their quality builds and Pioneer you can usually get money receiver for your money.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
    Eric
    Eric, I feel you on the SQ advice. I'm currently using a 5 year old JVC in my bedroom and it sounds great. Of course the speakers have alot to do with it . I'm pretty much auditioning for ease of use (as you mentioned), not only for myself but for wifee. A great remote will do wonders for her, as she will be using this system more than I will. I dont need anything spectacular, just reliable, easy to use, and a few features should get me by just fine. Thanks for your reply

Hey LJ,

Are you looking for something with auto set up, or are you going to do it yourself?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hey LJ,

Are you looking for something with auto set up, or are you going to do it yourself?
    No, I'm not worried about auto setup. It would be nice though. The Onkyo 603 is on sale for 329 and it has that, as well as the Pioneer 815. I'm dropping by CC today to take my first look over.

No, I'm not worried about auto setup. It would be nice though. The Onkyo 603 is on sale for 329 and it has that, as well as the Pioneer 815. I'm dropping by CC today to take my first look over.
    Have a great day. I'll be here listening to music, playing pool, & waiting for the snow.

Don't forget to stop at BB too. I find them to be a great play to check things before I buy from a real store.
    Last edited by GMichael; 02-11-2006 at 09:02 AM. Reason: addition
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Have a great day. I'll be here listening to music, playing pool, & waiting for the snow.

Don't forget to stop at BB too. I find them to be a great play to check things before I buy from a real store.
    Dont forget to have some cookies

Dont forget to have some cookies
    What cookies? Did I forget something? Ever stop to think, and forget to... uh, um...
    start again?

Forum Regular
    I heard about the big snow out east, GM- enjoy!

LJ, I've heard great things about the Pioneer 815- some magazines rate it as one of the best inexpensive receivers. I'm a fan of Yamaha- I think just because I'm most familiar with them since I have two.

Ah, decisions, decisions. I'm off to BB and CC in a few. I'll let you guys know what I come up with. If I happen to peep out an open box buy or something, maybe I'll go that route.

Eric, I'm definitely gonna look at that 815, if it's still available at BB. Thanks

So I peeped out a bunch of AVR's this weekend and picked up the Onkyo 603 on sale for $329. This baby meets all my needs and more. On screen display, video conversion, universal/learning remote with 3 macro buttons(huge plus), plenty of digital inputs, 2nd zone and so on. Plus more bells and whistles such as iPod and XM ready, not to mention auto setup. This unit is perfect for my needs and the price is right on with what I was looking for

So I peeped out a bunch of AVR's this weekend and picked up the Onkyo 603 on sale for $329. This baby meets all my needs and more. On screen display, video conversion, universal/learning remote with 3 macro buttons(huge plus), plenty of digital inputs, 2nd zone and so on. Plus more bells and whistles such as iPod and XM ready, not to mention auto setup. This unit is perfect for my needs and the price is right on with what I was looking for
    Cool, got it up and running? How's it sound?

Cool, got it up and running? How's it sound?
    No, it's still in the box. I only had enough time yesterday to peep out the remote. I'll hook it up tonight. I only gotta 2.0 thing going in the bedroom right now though.

Something I noticed over the weekend was alot of stores did not have the remote available for viewing. This was a drag because a nice remote was one of the features that was important. There must be alot of remote thefts or something.

No, it's still in the box. I only had enough time yesterday to peep out the remote. I'll hook it up tonight. I only gotta 2.0 thing going in the bedroom right now though.

Something I noticed over the weekend was alot of stores did not have the remote available for viewing. This was a drag because a nice remote was one of the features that was important. There must be alot of remote thefts or something.
    OK, You can update us tomorrow?

Most likely. It's always the few, who screw things up for the rest of us honest people.

OK, You can update us tomorrow?
    So I hooked up the Onkyo and gave it an unofficial test run. Compared to the old JVC I was using there wasn't too much of a difference. The Onkyo was a little more dynamic. I cannot comment on surround yet, since I only got a 2.0 thing going for now. I auditioned a bunch of speakers and ended up going with Energy C-3's. The sound from these speakers are amazing. I also liked the Paradigm mini monitors, but in the end, went with Energy. Not only am I putting a 5.0(for now) system in my bedroom, I'm also gonna paint, put up borders and all that good stuff. So it'll be awhile before everything is hooked up and all finished. I'm gonna try to get er done this weekend. Well at least get started on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information