bag
    Forum Regular

Anybody using Tactile Transducers/Bass Shakers?

I'm considering going down the transducer route instead of rounding out my system with an earthshaking sub that might disturb the neighbors (theater's in the basement of my townhome). System use - 60% gaming, 30% movies, 10% multichannel audio.

I'd originally started researching the Pyramat PM220, the "Ultimate Game Chair" and the"Gamepod", but the only value-add for any of them are their built-in transducers - the audio quality for the other speakers built into these chairs would probably be well below the fidelity of my current system.

I'm leaning towards the Clark Synthesis or Crowson Technologies transducers - sweet prices, low probable disturbance factor, and I can leverage existing amp investments (old 100W/ch Onkyo) to power either. Most likely deployment would be in a single game chair, building out to a couch if I dig the effect. Anybody demo'd or own these or similar solutions (Aura, Buttkicker, etc.)?

I have some Aura bassshakers. They are interesting when watching a movie. I have never tried it but I bet it would be great a game.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

Forum Regular
    I have been using transducers for over 5 years now in my home theatre system and they are very addictive and the moment you turn them off, you really feel somthing very important and fun is missing. High powered amplification is highly recommended for good tactile effect. Using a good pwered subwoofer actually enhances the overall effect of the tactile sensation, because the subs covers the aural spectrum and the transducers take care of the physical aspect, the combination (if tuned properly) is incredible. Buttkicker is also making a very high quality buttkickers..... Good luck and have fun

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaizi
    I have been using transducers for over 5 years now in my home theatre system and they are very addictive and the moment you turn them off, you really feel somthing very important and fun is missing. High powered amplification is highly recommended for good tactile effect. Using a good pwered subwoofer actually enhances the overall effect of the tactile sensation, because the subs covers the aural spectrum and the transducers take care of the physical aspect, the combination (if tuned properly) is incredible. Buttkicker is also making a very high quality buttkickers..... Good luck and have fun
    A good subwoofer could take care of both the spectrum, and that spectrum tactile contribution to the sound. I tried the buttkicker, and my subs did a better job than these things did. I have never understood the lure of using a mechanical device to do something that a good subwoofer can already do. To each his own.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    A good subwoofer could take care of both the spectrum, and that spectrum tactile contribution to the sound. I tried the buttkicker, and my subs did a better job than these things did. I have never understood the lure of using a mechanical device to do something that a good subwoofer can already do. To each his own.
    i see that u have "Dell CPX laptop for calibration" in your equipment list,how or what using this for?i'm thinking buy something like this so need your help
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by abulgan
    i see that u have "Dell CPX laptop for calibration" in your equipment list,how or what using this for?i'm thinking buy something like this so need your help
    I have test tones, and a portable spectrum analyzer on it. It has been a great help in tuning my room. I plan on using it to capture screen shots for DVD reviews in the future. I also keep alot of music on its hard drive, and use it to connect online for music listening through my home theater. I happen to like drum corps, and there is a online site that streams drum corps music 24/7

It has become quite a handy over the years. Its time for a replacement though.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs