Logic 7 causing distortion?

Hi folks,

I got the Porcupine Tree CD 'In Absentia" a week or so ago and have been really enjoying it. However, on tracks 8 and 11 which start off with a bass solo, i hear sort of like a popping sound coming from all my speakers (the tweeters actually, which is weird since the beginning of these sounds have no trebble) when in Logic 7 mode on my Harman Kardon AVR130. It happens at medium to loud volumes, and it doesn't happen when in stereo mode.

I was wondering if this is some sort of defect in the way Logic 7 works. I'm afraid to use Logic 7 now because i don't want to zap the tweeters on my brand new speakers. In stereo mode i can crank up these tracks as loud as i want and not hear the same artifacts.

Any thoughts/comments?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

My friend had the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    Hi folks,

I got the Porcupine Tree CD 'In Absentia" a week or so ago and have been really enjoying it. However, on tracks 8 and 11 which start off with a bass solo, i hear sort of like a popping sound coming from all my speakers (the tweeters actually, which is weird since the beginning of these sounds have no trebble) when in Logic 7 mode on my Harman Kardon AVR130. It happens at medium to loud volumes, and it doesn't happen when in stereo mode.

I was wondering if this is some sort of defect in the way Logic 7 works. I'm afraid to use Logic 7 now because i don't want to zap the tweeters on my brand new speakers. In stereo mode i can crank up these tracks as loud as i want and not hear the same artifacts.

Any thoughts/comments?
    With his HK receiver. It started after he added a new pair of mains that were 4 ohm. It was solved by adding a power amp specifically for the mains.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

First you have to define "distortion"

since this was, I believe, originally a two channel recording that was fed through a processor to provide seven channels, and if we apply the classic definition of distortion as meaning "any difference between the input and output signal", then it can be said that ANY DSP produces distortion as part of it's intended function.
    Last edited by markw; 01-30-2006 at 03:06 PM.

basically its a crackle sound coming from the tweeters that is not present in 2-channel mode. I'm not sure if it is present in other multi-channel modes since i didnt check.

Odds are it's a byproduct of the DSP used to create those extra channels.

Sometimes you like the end product, (which is technically "distortion by my above definition) and sometimes you don't.

It's like pharmacutical drugs. When ingested into the body ALL effects, both good and bad, are byproducts of he drug itself forcing the body to do something it naturally wouldn't do. It's just that they hope that in the majoprity of people that use 'em, a good "distortion" is the result.

Thread Information