Question No DVD-Audio thru optical audio cbl on Pioneer DV588

Hi All,
    I tried to play Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" DVD-A on my new DV588 but could not get any sound from either the stereo or surround tracks. The menu displayed and seemed to function fine but I got no sound at all. This same DVDA played fine in surround mode on my old Panasonic RV41 through the same optical connection the DV588'S connected to. The 588's manual does says "SACDs and DVD-Audio discs do not output digital audio. Listen
    through the player’s analog audio outputs." under the troubleshooting section for no sound. I've heard of this about SACD but not DVDA. Can anyone clarify this? I'm assuming it's the design of the Pioneer unit considering the disc played fine on my old player. The Pioneer does play DTS & Dolby D fine.

Also, can someone recommend a good brand & source for the 5.1 analog cables? Thanks!

luvs2jam60

Instruction maual

If you look on page 35 of your instruction manual (I have a DV588 as well) you'll notice that where it says digital out and has two settings, on and off. Next to the on setting, it says "Note that there is no digital output when playing SACDs and DVD-Audio discs regardless of this setting." If I were you, I would leave the digital out on, and then set the audio output mode to 5.1. That way, when you play a DVDA/SACD, it automatically plays thru the analog outputs, and when you have a DVD on, it plays through the digital outs. I have this setting on mine, and my receiver has an auto sensing feature so when there is an analog signal, it switches to that input, and when there is a digital signal, it switches to the digital input. Hope this helps!

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by DanGinCT
    Hi All,
    I tried to play Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" DVD-A on my new DV588 but could not get any sound from either the stereo or surround tracks. The menu displayed and seemed to function fine but I got no sound at all. This same DVDA played fine in surround mode on my old Panasonic RV41 through the same optical connection the DV588'S connected to. The 588's manual does says "SACDs and DVD-Audio discs do not output digital audio. Listen
    through the player’s analog audio outputs." under the troubleshooting section for no sound. I've heard of this about SACD but not DVDA. Can anyone clarify this? I'm assuming it's the design of the Pioneer unit considering the disc played fine on my old player. The Pioneer does play DTS & Dolby D fine.

Also, can someone recommend a good brand & source for the 5.1 analog cables? Thanks!
    DVDAs are strictly outputted through the analog outs of your player. SACDs may be outputted through the analog or through the digital outputs of your player, depending on the player settings. it has 3 regions: analog surround, analog stereo and CD format. make use of the 7.1-ch output of your player and set your receiver to 7.1-ch input so you would be able to hear the DVDA soundtrack

Thread Information