Forum Regular

What is a sealed sub?

I was just wondering if you guys could explain to me what exactly it is. I know you can have rear facing ports and such, but what exactly is the difference. I was recommeded to use one for a smaller room and I know Velodyne makes them, but what specific models and such. Is there a specific best for the $300-500 range in your opinions?

From Crutchfield.com:

Different types of boxes will produce different types of bass:

Sealed boxes: For deep, precise bass
    A sealed box is an airtight enclosure housing your subwoofer. A sealed box is best for any music that demands tight, accurate bass. Expect flat response (not excessively boomy), deep bass extension, and excellent power handling. Since a sealed enclosure tends to require more power than a ported box, use an amplifier with ample wattage for optimum performance.

Ported boxes: For forceful bass
    Ported boxes use a vent (called a port) to reinforce low bass response. You get more output than you would from a sealed box at any given amplifier wattage. Some people prefer the sound of ported boxes for rock, heavy metal, or any hard-driving music. Ported boxes can deliver deeper bass than sealed boxes, though they need to be much larger than sealed enclosures to accomplish that.

Bandpass boxes: Maximum slam!
    Bandpass boxes are a special type of ported box designed for maximum slam. The woofer is mounted inside a dual-chambered box (one chamber sealed, the other ported), with the sound waves emerging from the ported side. The sound that comes out of the port is extra loud within a narrow frequency range.

Because bandpass boxes are super efficient within that range, they tend to boom. Their aggressive sound is great for rap, reggae, and hard rock. Not all subwoofers work well in bandpass boxes, though; consult our product information or call a Product Advisor to be sure.

Here are the cliff notes:

Sealed: Most accurate, but don't tend to play as deep as a ported subwoofer unless you give them a lot more power.

Ported: Deeper extension with less power, but not necesarily as accurate as a sealed subwoofer, although a well designed ported subwoofer should sound fantastic. Typically requires less power than a sealed subwoofer.

Forum Regular

ok

so no port is sealed, that makes sense...Thanks for the help

Suspended
    There are other designs. Some subs use a passive radiator in place of a port in a bass reflex design which provide more control and efficiency. There's also compound subwoofers which have two woofers connected face to face in a sealed box one facing out into the room. They're wired out of phase in a push-pull design. They're said to provide controlled bass and approx. 6db more efficiency over standard sealed design. There's also folded horn designs such as the Klipschorns, which provide lower bass without extremely large cabinets, also very efficient.

Thread Information