AR Newbie Registered Member

subwoofer options

Hi,
    I have a subwoofer dilemma and am looking for some advice. I have a JBL PB10 that is behaving badly - it make a loud popping sound - my guess is something in the electronics fried.

I contacted JBL about replacing the board, but they don't have any. They offered to sell me a E150P at an discounted price - about $200 (shipped), which seems like a pretty good deal. Lets call this option A.

Option B is to buy another PB10 which I can find online for ~ $170, but with shipping will probably come out about the same.

Option C is to buy something complete different. For reference, I have a JBL HLS 810's for my mains, and HLS 610s for rears, and an Onkyo Integra DTR 5 for a receiver.

I've read some things about doing custom subs - I could use the box and the woofer (it seems sound), and buy an amp. Let call this D. However, I'm really an amateur. What are my chances of success? Any advice?

Thanks so much for the help,
    -Dan
    Last edited by dabramov; 01-19-2004 at 01:43 PM.

Option C

You are definently not the only one having troubles with their JBL PB series of subs. It sounds like the sub is bottoming out if you are hearing poping, but this would only happen if you were playing it loud when it pops. If you really can't save your money until you get around $400, I'd opt for this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7 or the BIC VR1215. The Dayton is suppose to be an excellent value for the money and you don't pay as much of the retail mark up because you're buying strait from the manufacturer. If you can however save up to $350-$400 you could get the Adire Rava (adireaudio.com or one of the Dayton kits (you can get the Dayton kits from the website I gave you). Good luck.

-Joey

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy
    It sounds like the sub is bottoming out if you are hearing poping, but this would only happen if you were playing it loud when it pops.
    Actually, it pops even if there is no signal going into it at all, I think pretty much irregardless of the volume. I always yanked the cord quickly to prevent further damage, so I don't know if it still functions in addition to the popping.

If you really can't save your money until you get around $400, I'd opt for this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7 or the BIC VR1215. The Dayton is suppose to be an excellent value for the money and you don't pay as much of the retail mark up because you're buying strait from the manufacturer.
    Wow - that seems like a great deal on the Dayton. Even w/ shipping ~$150. Any idea how this might stack up against the JBL E150P? I couldn't find reviews on either.

Thanks,
    -Dan

I doubt you...

could even hear an audible difference between the two., although I may be wrong. The JBL is not worth $200 more. The JBL is $350 and if you can afford that, you can also afford the Adire Rava for $400 or the Dayton Titanic sub for $350 (kit). These are probably your best picks in this price range. If you can't spend that much go with the Dayton.

-Joey

Forum Regular

some suggestion that maybe help........

Hello guys,

Why not buy a JBL PB-12 to only $217.00 ? It is a lot better than the PB-10. Also, if you are worried about the amplifier module quality, JBL changed it around one year ago. If the sub serial numer stars with " HA", it is the new digital amplifier which is very reliable and safe. It rattles all my house with only a 12" woofer. You can find it at an incredible price of $217.00 at Best Price Audio Video. com.
    Good Luck,
    Jorge.

could even hear an audible difference between the two., although I may be wrong. The JBL is not worth $200 more. The JBL is $350 and if you can afford that, you can also afford the Adire Rava for $400 or the Dayton Titanic sub for $350 (kit). These are probably your best picks in this price range. If you can't spend that much go with the Dayton.

-Joey
    Hi -
    The only reason I mentioned the JBL (E150P) is that in lieu of selling me parts, they were willing to give it to me at an "accomodation price" of $200, shipped. If it's something more in the class of the more expensive models you mentioned - even if not quite as good - it sounded like a good deal.

Thanks again,
    -Dan

well then...

Either are fine. The amp and woofer are both probably a little higher quality then the dayton. Both subs don't have much difference between them and it's your decision whether to spend the extra $50. I would probably go ahead with the JBL basically because it does retail for $350, and I heard the 12" version in a large quiet BB listening room and it sounded pretty nice (not for the money though). It's your call, you'll be satisfied with either as long as your room isn't too big.

-Joey

Thread Information