Forum Regular

Car tape adaptor

Car related question. When using a tape adaptor in the head unit for my ipod listening, does the unit still need to be cleaned and demagnetized or not because there is no tape ribbon running across?

Suspended
    No, the signal goes directly into the tape head. The tape is storing the information and to get it off it has to run across the tape head, the adaptor is a steady signal from what ever it's plugged into.

It shouldn't be hard to find a car stereo with an auxillary input. Well, maybe, if you are still using cassettes.

Forum Regular
    OK thanks...thought so.

Im using my Ipod in the stock car stereo. Aswell would this kill my tape deck by the means of alot of wear? I have a cd changer aswell but planning to use this ipod through the tape for awhile as the sound quality (BOSE) is amazing and outruns the cd changer esp with the JAZZ eq setting on the ipod through this tape.

We've been having good luck with a device like these

Small FM stereo transmitters that plug into your device's earphone output and transmit a signal that you can pick up on your car's FM radio.

The plus to these is that you can now send your device to any nearby FM radio. Works inthe house, back yard, anywhere there's an FM radio.

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...rd_Search&Ne=0

Suspended
    I haven't heard of tape adaptors causing harm to heads. It is interesting that the Ipod sounds better than your CD player. You must be using a FM modulator rather than hard wiring into the head unit. FM has limited band width so it degrades the CD sound some. But it's an easy install and sometimes necessary if the head unit don't have the proper inputs.

Forum Regular
    Nope..not using a FM modulator at this time. I think the EQ of the ipod boosts the sound to make it sound as good as the cd changer if not better.

Thread Information