Thread: DVD Skipping!

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar

Question DVD Skipping!

My Compaq laptop was playing dvds all day and then started skipping [a/v/] when I put a new disc in. I looked at it and sure enough the kids had gotten it pretty dirty. I cleaned it but no ALL the dvds I've tried [4] skip the same way. I hit the laser with compressed air but no luck. What's up?

Might have a misaligned drive. Since this is a laptop, the transport is obviously a lot more exposed than with a standalone DVD player. More mishaps can obviously occur if prowling child fingers have full access to the drive mechanism. When my DVD player started skipping on occasion, I used a lens cleaning disc and DVDs loaded more reliably afterwards.

Also, keep in mind that the slim profile DVD drives typically installed on laptops are more delicate than the larger drives used with dedicated DVD players and desktop PCs. The DVD drive on my laptop failed after about 2 years of use. It was replaced under warranty, and the replacement drive lasted about 3 months before it too failed. I installed the current drive in my laptop about 6 months ago, and it's still working (knock knock). If your laptop's warranty is still active, you should contact Compaq and have them ship a replacement drive to you.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar
    Thanks, it's just a few months old so under warrenty. I think I'll try one of those disc cleaners before I go that route.

Thread Information