Thread: Dropping in..

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Cool Dropping in..

Spent my winter break working and shoveling all this friggin' snow. Oh, and filling gaps in my collection. Here are the albums I've bought and digging in on o'er the past month:

The Mahavishnu Orchestra: Birds Of Fire
    This is the coolest fusion I've ever listened to. If Hendrix were still alive, John McLaughlin would be giving him sleepless nights.

Miles Davis: In A Silent Way
    Had it in vinyl format, just bought it on CD. Brilliant cool jazz/early fusion. (BTW Jay, if you still want to hear it, we'll try to work somethin' out)

Ornette Coleman: The Shape Of Jazz To Come
    My dad (who is a jazz buff) hates Coleman, but I have no regrets about this album. It's beautiful.

Opeth: Morningrise
    Ah. Where have you been all my life? IMO, I think this is way better than either Blackwater Park or Still Life.

King Crimson: Vroom Vroom
    Awesome live album from the THRAK era.

Meshuggah: Nothing
    Yikes. This is heavy, complex, uber-challenging technical metal. Would make a calculus major sh-t his pants.

Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique
    Groundbreaking hip-hop. Definitely a favorite.

King's X: Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
    It's absolutely criminal that this unique trio gets ignored by the mainstream music press.

Mr. Bungle: California
    Insane genre-jumping mayhem. Think Faith No More's Angel Dust on crack.

Death: Human
    Awesome death/thrash metal record. Now to get The Sound Of Perseverence!

Cave-In: Antenna
    Hmmm. Still not entirely sure I like this yet. Way more mainstream-sounding than Jupiter. I'm warming up to it, though.

The Cure: Disintegration
    Beautifully depressing shoegazer-pop. I love the title track.

The Velvet Underground: White Light/White Heat
    I used to absolutely hate this record (my dad has it on vinyl). Fortunately, it's grown on me and I think it's definitely a worthy V.U. album alongside VU & Nico and The Velvet Underground.

Other albums:

John Coltrane: Blue Train (had it on vinyl)
    Bad Brains: I Against I
    Snapcase: Designs For Automotion
    REM: Fables Of The Reconstruction
    Joy Division: Substance
    John Spencer Blues Explosion: Orange
    Echo & The Bunnymen: Ocean Rain
    Public Enemy: It Takes A Nation....
    Last edited by mad rhetorik; 01-19-2004 at 08:00 AM.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Hey, welcome back.

Where ya been hiding?

Excellent music you've been listening too.

Particularly like that Vroom Vroom disc myself. You should check out B'Boom. Another excellent live set from the makers of Krim.

Been getting into Miles Davis too. Tribute To Jack Johnson is a must. In A Silent Way ain't to bad either but B!tches Brew blew me away. Great stuff.

Yeah, that King's X CD is another must have. Great power trio stuff.

I've heard a track or two from Meshuggah. Waaaaay to heavy for me. Insane technical metal. My head exploded in less than a minute.

Take care Mad man.

Don't stay away so long.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Cave-In: Antenna
    Hmmm. Still not entirely sure I like this yet. Way more mainstream-sounding than Jupiter. I'm warming up to it, though.
    I've warmed to it a little, but.. after JUPITER I'm pretty disappointed. Definately mersh.. I miss the prog tendencies that were starting to show themselves with JUPITER. There's certainly some well-crafted music on there, but, if they're going to go that route the tunes need to be catchier. The best song on there is an old song they've already released ("Lost in the Air") - and of course, I like the original version better. Anyway.. they're still pretty kicking live if you get a chance to see them.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Definitely interested in that Miles! Glad to see you back, I thought I might've scared you off with my threats to send you Beach Boys stuff. Don't be afraid! PM me, it'd be great to work something out.

I don't like others.

Thread Information