Forum Regular

6.1 Reciever, 5.1 speakers!

I have a 6.1 reciever but only 5.1 speakers. What media will I see a difference with? Is it only DTS 6.1 DVD disks. What about SACD.DVD-A....will the 6th channel just be blocked out? Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBee
    I have a 6.1 reciever but only 5.1 speakers. What media will I see a difference with? Is it only DTS 6.1 DVD disks. What about SACD.DVD-A....will the 6th channel just be blocked out? Thanks for your time.
    You can set your receiver to only recognize only the five speakers. Then, the movies that (rarely) used that sixth channel will have that information sent equally to the other two surrounds. You won't miss a thing.

I wasn't aware that SACD and DVD-Audio used the sixth channel so I can't coment on that.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    He might think 6 analogs and 6.1 instead of L I've got one DVD thats DTS ES out of 50 and that was in the 9.99 bin at BB.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    I've got one DVD thats DTS ES out of 50 and that was in the 9.99 bin at BB.
    Is that a DVD (movie) or a DVD-Audio (music) disc?

Again, I wasn't aware that these Hi Rez formats supported six channels plus a subwoofer.

Since the specification for DVD Audio and SACD came out of the movie industry, they support six FULL range signals and may not have a dedicated LFE channel.

This can be very bad for your subwoofer to send full range signals to it so be very careful with SACD and DVD Audio unless you really know what you are doing or only use these players without a sub, with full range speakers, or in 2 or 3 channel mode only.

Quote Originally Posted by markw

Again, I wasn't aware that these Hi Rez formats supported six channels plus a subwoofer.
    Stargate DTS ES
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Well what do you think...Should I watch on eBay for a matching rear speaker to make my system a 6.1.

I currently have the following setup...

Front: Mirage Omni 60
    Center: Omnisat Micro
    Rear: Mirage Omni 50
    Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR502
    DVD-Audio/SACD: Pioneer DV-578A

Well what do you think...Should I watch on eBay for a matching rear speaker to make my system a 6.1.

I currently have the following setup...

Front: Mirage Omni 60
    Center: Omnisat Micro
    Rear: Mirage Omni 50
    Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR502
    DVD-Audio/SACD: Pioneer DV-578A
    Use the back surround speaker ONLY if you got enough space behind your seating position. If your sofa is pushed against the backwall, then forget about 6.1 and focus more on optimizing the positioning and setup parameters for your 5.1 setup.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    Since the specification for DVD Audio and SACD came out of the movie industry, they support six FULL range signals and may not have a dedicated LFE channel.

This can be very bad for your subwoofer to send full range signals to it so be very careful with SACD and DVD Audio unless you really know what you are doing or only use these players without a sub, with full range speakers, or in 2 or 3 channel mode only.
    The speaker placement diagram included with SACD players and a lot of SACD discs is the ITU-775 multichannel reference speaker alignment. It's actually a standard studio monitoring alignment for multichannel music, since movies are typically mixed on dubbing stages using surround arrays. (see below)

Aside from Chesky's 2/4/6 DVD-A discs (which include a 6.0 track that substitutes high mounted effect channels for the center and subwoofer inputs, and includes plenty of instructions and warnings about how the speakers and channels should be aligned and assigned), I don't know of any DVD-A or SACD discs that send full range signal content into the subwoofer channel. In fact, a lot of multichannel music mixes (classical music in particular) don't use the subwoofer channel at all.

Just because the format allows for six full range channels does not mean that they will ALL be utilized at full range. It's all at the discretion of the recording engineer how all of the channels are actually used, and I don't know of any that would purposely send a full range signal into a subwoofer channel.

And as discussed in another thread, most of the DVD-A, SACD, and universal players on the market now include some form of bass management, so it doesn't require being anymore careful than using the bass management settings on a HT receiver.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

You are mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by westcott
    I ALWAYS send my subs a full range signal and I have never damaged them. Subs are designed with bandpass filters so they do not attemp to produce a full range signal.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Yes, I have my subwoofer hooked up to the L/R preamp jacks and no problems here either. Unless your sub is really old, it probably has a upper range limit built in.
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw

Sheryl Crow's 'Globe Sessions' has a DTS-ES 6.1 layer. There may be others as well.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...beSessions.php

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    Sheryl Crow's 'Globe Sessions' has a DTS-ES 6.1 layer. There may be others as well.

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...beSessions.php
    FYI, DTS-ES 6.1 is NOT a true high res format because it's still compressed.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    FYI, DTS-ES 6.1 is NOT a true high res format because it's still compressed.
    I do understand that. I should have aimed that at the original poster as an example of a 6.1 audio surround disk, regardless of format, that can be played as 5.1 - as I do with this disc. As far as I know, there are very few 6.1 audio discs. Of those that are (6.1), I'm not aware of any that are in DVD-A or SACD format.

So, since this is actually a DVD, not a hi rez format...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    I do understand that. I should have aimed that at the original poster as an example of a 6.1 audio surround disk, regardless of format, that can be played as 5.1 - as I do with this disc. As far as I know, there are very few 6.1 audio discs. Of those that are (6.1), I'm not aware of any that are in DVD-A or SACD format.
    ... and both examples, yours and Shoks, are really "movie" DVD's, it simply reinforces my original statement that there are no 6.1 hi rez available, no?

No 6.1 SACD or DVD-A that i know of.
    Look & Listen

Thread Information