Receiver compliments Bose

Which receiver compliments the Bose AM16? Price $500-$600
    80% movies,

I am considering the Denon 1906.

Quote Originally Posted by viv
    Which receiver compliments the Bose AM16? Price $500-$600
    80% movies,

I am considering the Denon 1906.
    Not sure about those speakers but you should look into, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, HK and Pioneer as far as AVR's goes. You should be able to get a very nice unit in that price range.

What's wrong with your current AVR, if you have one?

viv
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Not sure about those speakers but you should look into, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, HK and Pioneer as far as AVR's goes. You should be able to get a very nice unit in that price range.

What's wrong with your current AVR, if you have one?
    very old, will not stand up to the 6.1 requirements of the speakers...So let me be more specific.. apples-to-apples: Onkyo, Denon or HK? Which would you choose?

very old, will not stand up to the 6.1 requirements of the speakers...So let me be more specific.. apples-to-apples: Onkyo, Denon or HK? Which would you choose?
    Good question! It comes down to personal preference. Making sure a unit meets your needs and is flexible. Although I see nothing wrong with your orginal choice of that 1906, I would advise you to do some research and try out each unit if possible. Like I said, in that price range you should have no problems finding a well made unit and it will basically come down to features(# of zones, in/outs, warranty, remote, on screen display, auto setup, and so on).

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    personally, Yamaha. (...or Denon).

A receiver that compliments the Bose AM16?

I put a Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo and HK all in the same room with the Bose. Not one of them had anything nice to say to the Bose.
    They all sat around and didn't talk much. Maybe they were shy. I'll give them more time together to see who warms up to who.

Actually, I think any of them will be fine. You can even add Pioneer and a few others to that list. My personal preference is a Yamaha. But that's my person. You can be you, and choose what makes you happy. Again, any of them are a good choice.

Take a look at the functions and pick the one that gives you everything you want at the price you can pay.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    You can't go wrong with any of the brands listed. Personally, I would go with the Yamaha RXV657/HTR5860- that's just my preference since I've had good luck with Yamaha and find their units user friendly. An Onkyo, Denon, or Pioneer can serve you just as well.

Check out the review of the Yamaha RXV657 on Yamaha's website-
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/r...V657review.pdf
    I know it's from their website so it's not like they would post really negative feedback there, but it lists a lot of nice capabilities you can find for a fairly inexpensive unit.

Buy whatever is cheapest because nothing on the market is going to make Bose speakers sound any better. They also don't need much power because there isn't much to them.

Forum Regular
    Placed correctly, the Bose dual cubes do sound quite effective for movies. I would go with the Yamaha only because you can use it's cool DSP's which I think would accentuate the dipole-like effects of the cubes.

Forum Regular
    I would go with the H/K. I have the H/K AVR7200 running on all Bose speakers and once i came to this site and got advice on set up techniques it sounds awesome. I have an Onkyo in my family room also but its the older TXDS575X and it still brings the goods. You really cant go wrong with any of the units mentioned but let your ears and wallet make the decision for you.

viv
    Forum Regular
    So the setup using a HK ( HK 635) is not simple? For someone who knows nothing about the setup, should I get a professional to do the setup as well?

So the setup using a HK ( HK 635) is not simple? For someone who knows nothing about the setup, should I get a professional to do the setup as well?
    What part of the setup process are you refering to? Maybe the guys here can get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    What part of the setup process are you refering to? Maybe the guys here can get you started.
    I would think that setting up the EQ for each speaker would be the hardest part. There are too many models with some type of auto set-up for a newbie to have to worry about doing that themselves.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I have nothing constructive for this thread, but I noticed the subject. It's shocking to see that anything, even a receiver, compliments Bose on this board. Now that's a headline.

Sorry, you can now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Forum Regular
    Receivers can be challenging to set-up if you are doing everything manually- it's not really hard, but can be frustrating because it can take a little while. That's exactly why I like the Yamaha YPAO feature so much. Plug in a mircophone, get your house nice and quiet, press a few buttons, and everything is set-up for you. I did have to manually adjust the crossover and distance for my sub, but it was extremely easy. Other receivers from Onkyo, Denon, and Pioneer have their own version of the auto set-up as well.

I think it's a good move to buy a decent receiver. I'm not sure what you're currently using, so I don't know if something new with improve sound out of your Bose speakers. As you see, Bose isn't valued too highly on this site. I think some Bose speakers sound okay, but there are overpriced. It's good to get a nice receiver because maybe one day you'll want to upgrade your speakers and at least your receiver will be taken care of. Just for kicks, go out and listen to some other speakers in the price range of the Bose you have. I know you're not talking about buying new speakers, but it's fun to see whatelse is out there. Bose does such a great job at marketing, everything thinks they are top of the line speakers. It's funny whenever I tell people speakers and HT is one of my hobbies- there's first question/comment is, "You must have Bose then, right?" Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    I have nothing constructive for this thread, but I noticed the subject. It's shocking to see that anything, even a receiver, compliments Bose on this board. Now that's a headline.

Sorry, you can now go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Now THAT'S what I was talking about. Thanks Ed. I guess sick minds really do think alike.

viv
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for that thoughtful reply. The general trend I am seeing here is, Onkyo, Denon, HK are all equally good. So select one in my price range which is a step or two above what I need right now. Thanks folks.

Thanks for that thoughtful reply. The general trend I am seeing here is, Onkyo, Denon, HK are all equally good. So select one in my price range which is a step or two above what I need right now. Thanks folks.

heh, heh...the general trend is that people prefer Yamaha. But otherwise, your right!

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    heh, heh...the general trend is that people prefer Yamaha.
    Why is that? I know why I picked Yamaha, but I didn't see them as being really better than the others. It just fit what I wanted a little more. I thought the others sounded great too when I was searching.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Now THAT'S what I was talking about. Thanks Ed. I guess sick minds really do think alike.
    Oops, GM, sorry for hijacking your joke. I didn't see it. Both our minds may be sick, but yours has the advantage of being quicker on the draw. By the way, viv, no disrespect intended to your Bose AM16. I was just going for the line.

viv
    Forum Regular
    No sweat. I guess I am proof that for someone entering the world of AV, Bose does a good PR job of being the first company that comes to mind. Once I have my system setup I'll drop a quick note on what I decided and my 'Newbie' impressions!
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Oops, GM, sorry for hijacking your joke. I didn't see it. Both our minds may be sick, but yours has the advantage of being quicker on the draw. By the way, viv, no disrespect intended to your Bose AM16. I was just going for the line.
    Thanks, but I think my mind is only quicker with being sick. You sir, have real valuable knowledge that I enjoy reading.

nice thing to say. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Why is that? I know why I picked Yamaha, but I didn't see them as being really better than the others. It just fit what I wanted a little more. I thought the others sounded great too when I was searching.
    I was just counting the preferences listed here in this thread...no deeper meaning. I'm not making any claims to superiority. I just found it humorous to see four of six people say they prefer Brand X and then the summation that the trend omits Brand X....

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I was just counting the preferences listed here in this thread...no deeper meaning. I'm not making any claims to superiority. I just found it humorous to see four of six people say they prefer Brand X and then the summation that the trend omits Brand X....
    But it does seem to be a trend here. Don't know why.
    Maybe the answer is... is....
    You're not going to like this.

You're really not going to like this.

OK,

The answer is......................

Dant da da dant dant daaaaa....

F-O-U-R-T-Y T-W-O !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information