Thread: help rookie

AR Newbie Registered Member

help rookie

Hi I am looking to buying a new receiver and I need some help. First off I just got new Jbl speakers from my buddy and when I went home to hook them up I found out my receiver can only play 2 speakers at a time. It has plugs for four speakers but it only has a/b not a+b. So now I need a new receiver I would like to hook up four floor speakers and a sub (I am buying that next pay check from him ( jbl) I have about $250 for a new receiver, would like to stay around $200. I am looking to buy used, probably off a ebay they have pretty good deals. I listen to mostly rock, some rap, almost any thing. I would like a receiver that play loud where it shakes the window lol. This is where I don't know.....what brand to go with. I have been looking at Yamaha because from what I read they sound good and play loud. The rx-v800 look pretty good to me and there pretty cheap on ebay around $150. I am open to all suggestion's to what you guys recommend any brand.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

No answer...

...just a question...Four speakers? For stereo? Specifics if you care to supply them...

jimHJJ(...just curious...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by nolimit2game
    Hi I am looking to buying a new receiver and I need some help. First off I just got new Jbl speakers from my buddy and when I went home to hook them up I found out my receiver can only play 2 speakers at a time. It has plugs for four speakers but it only has a/b not a+b. So now I need a new receiver I would like to hook up four floor speakers and a sub (I am buying that next pay check from him ( jbl) I have about $250 for a new receiver, would like to stay around $200. I am looking to buy used, probably off a ebay they have pretty good deals. I listen to mostly rock, some rap, almost any thing. I would like a receiver that play loud where it shakes the window lol. This is where I don't know.....what brand to go with. I have been looking at Yamaha because from what I read they sound good and play loud. The rx-v800 look pretty good to me and there pretty cheap on ebay around $150. I am open to all suggestion's to what you guys recommend any brand.
    Hi,
    Welcome. I think first of you need to decide if you want quality sound or "shake the windows".
    Then, like our resident loser questioned, 4 speakers for stereo? Why not 2 speakers and see how you like that.
    Figure all that out and come back here. You will get lot's of advice from all corners of Audio/HT.But please let your ears be the deciding yardstick. So you need to be clear what you want. Since your budget is limited we need to make sure you don't make a costly mistake.
    Hope this helps.

The power of music gives you wings.

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

(I have a slightly tweaked version of the "Under Pressure" bass line playing in my head right now. It's a sign.)

Thread Information