Thread: Paging Mike A.

Paging Mike A.

Hey Mike, are the 1.6's there yet?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

No!

I ordered the things on Dec. 27. I called the store today to see if they had arrived yet.

The response? According to the salesman, Magnepan said they were going to build them next week. So they won't ship until next Wednesday at the earliest, and they'll take another week in shipping....

Is that ridiculous, or what? I can't believe Magnepan doesn't already have 1.6's in stock, or if they didn't, that they waited three weeks to even start building them...
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

I smell a bacon, those things are laying around at Magnepan and the dealers should easily have them in stock. I would return from the deal and call around to see who has a pair in stock and buy those.

-Flo

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I smell a bacon, those things are laying around at Magnepan and the dealers should easily have them in stock. I would return from the deal and call around to see who has a pair in stock and buy those.

-Flo
    I was thinking the exact same thing, and am planning to do so this morning.

My guess is that the store received shipment on the speakers, and sold them to someone else who wasn't willing to wait for them.

Yeah, just buy them somewhere else. There are tons of 1.6's around.

Actually, Magnepan only lists two dealers in the SF Bay Area, amazingly.

I called the other dealer, and they also said they'd have to special order them, and that it would be 1-2 weeks to get them.

BTW, I re-arranged my room, moving the MMG's to where you had suggested before.

Here's the old room diagram again:

Now I've got the speakers over on the right side of the room, facing to the left. I moved out the couch, and I've got my listening chair there, facing to the right where the speakers are.

The speakers are about 3.5 feet away from the back wall. The left speaker is about 2.5 feet away from the top wall, and the right one is about 8 feet below it.

It sounds much more live and airy now. However, it's also the case that:

1) The bass has practically disappeared altogether, so I'm going to need to plug the subwoofer back in.

2) I've lost that super-crisp resolution I had when the speakers were against the top wall, about 1 foot away with baffles behind.

For most of the music I listen to, I actually prefer my previous setup with the speakers against the top wall.

Any recommendations?

I find it a pain moving the speakers around to find good spots. For one thing, I've raised them up onto concrete blocks, and I can't just slide them along the floor.

^^^ I've worked on speaker placement some more, and experimented with baffling in various places, seems to make a big difference. Resolution is now pretty good. I'm still not getting the bass I'd like to have, but hopefully that'll be fixed by the 1.6s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Actually, Magnepan only lists two dealers in the SF Bay Area, amazingly.

I called the other dealer, and they also said they'd have to special order them, and that it would be 1-2 weeks to get them.
    Shouldn't be too surprising, most specialty speaker brands (except those that are carried through mid-level chains such as Magnolia) only have a handful of dealers in a given region. And there aren't that many specialty audio stores in the Bay Area to begin with. (Fewer than 40 by my count) To give you some perspective, Vandersteen is carried at only one Bay Area store; and before Magnolia entered the Bay Area market, Martin Logan only had two Bay Area dealers. As much mention as Paradigm gets, only six stores in the entire Bay Area carry them. Most of the audio stores I've been to don't carry a lot of inventory on hand, and basically special order all but the lower cost/higher volume items.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Thread Information