Forum Regular

Cheap Gold Plated Component vs. Cheap Non-Gold Component

So, I'm getting my new ht equipment set up. I'm in Wal-Mart (the Devil) buying a Philips HDMI-DVI cable for $43, and I also pick up a Philips gold-plated component set for $17, compared to basic components for $10. I also saw some generic gold series type a/v cables at Big Lots(!?) for $6 for 6 feet. I hate to ask this question, but how do cheap, gold standard type cables compare to cheap, basic types? It's so hard to find reasonably priced a/v cables locally anymore. If it's not Monster (which I ain't buying-remember, I'm Mr. Budget!), it's basically priced just enough lower than Monster. Even AR at Best Buy has gone up in price. Whaddya think?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    These cables are often very generic, with the biggest differences being cosmetic sheathing. I don't know the cables you're looking at specifically though.

Half the time the "gold plated" cables aren't gold plated at all, just some gold colored alloy. I like RadioShack. Quality at an affordable price, it might be a few dollars more than the absolute budget cable you find, but you'll know they're decent.
    Ebay always has deals on cables, but shipping costs make it worth your while to buy in bunches.

Forum Regular
    The only problem is that RS (in this area anyway) seems to be leaning more toward the Monster line. As a matter of fact, the manager sent me to Wallyworld for the HDMI cable, since all they carry is Monster HDMI now!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Wow, no RatShack "Gold" cables at a RatShack? What's the world coming to?

You could always use 3 video cables. My friend was gonna go out and buy some component cables, I went to his house and used a pair of old rca AV cables he had just laying around. It worked fine.

Forum Regular
    check around online at the electronics e-tailers. I've gotten Monster brand video/subwoofer/etc cables for at least half off retail. Look around and you will find some deals. At least with Monster you know you are getting a quality product.

As mentioned, Rat Shack cables are well built, but I have not been there in a while. I would try to get gold plated cables if you can, but just make sure it is from a recognized manufacturer. Generic stuff from Walmart isn't to be trusted. Ever check out places like Blue jeans cable?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Wow, no RatShack "Gold" cables at a RatShack? What's the world coming to?
    Nah, I just bought a bunch of that stuff at Radio Shack yesterday. 200 ft. of 12 gauge wire and 20 banana plugs, total cost was 80 bucks.

The Monster cable stuff they kept trying to push on me would've cost three times that.
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    You could always use 3 video cables. My friend was gonna go out and buy some component cables, I went to his house and used a pair of old rca AV cables he had just laying around. It worked fine.
    I know a dude that works for Philips and he says the only difference between their component cables and regular AV cables (even the more expensive ones) is that the plastic/labelling on the connectors is molded in different colors (green, red, blue instead of red, white, yellow).
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

Quote Originally Posted by caniac
    I know a dude that works for Philips and he says the only difference between their component cables and regular AV cables (even the more expensive ones) is that the plastic/labelling on the connectors is molded in different colors (green, red, blue instead of red, white, yellow).
    Exactly. Man I wish I woulda knew that a long time ago. I've dropped as much as $80 on component cables.

Forum Regular
    Exactly. Man I wish I woulda knew that a long time ago. I've dropped as much as $80 on component cables.

Well at least you got one hell of a good component video cable! But in all seriousness "better" cables do offer better construction (ie. shielding, cable geometry, OFC, 24k gold plated and all that good stuff) and some people are will to pay for that, but I still have yet to see any differences in the quality of the video between..... say the Monster brand versus the cheap Magnavox non-gold plated component video ($12) and I have compared them both. I guess when I do start experiencing some video noise and get tired of the nickel plated connectors getting oxidized then I might consider buying the higher end cables.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomadness
    Well at least you got one hell of a good component video cable! But in all seriousness "better" cables do offer better construction (ie. shielding, cable geometry, OFC, 24k gold plated and all that good stuff) and some people are will to pay for that, but I still have yet to see any differences in the quality of the video between..... say the Monster brand versus the cheap Magnavox non-gold plated component video ($12) and I have compared them both. I guess when I do start experiencing some video noise and get tired of the nickel plated connectors getting oxidized then I might consider buying the higher end cables.
    I agree with you. No I just over paid. This was back when only Monster cable existed and was the best thing to go with. Well that's what they told me at BB anyways. I'm sure some Rat Shack gold componenets for about 1/3 to 1/2 of that woulda been just fine.

Forum Regular
    I agree with you. No I just over paid. This was back when only Monster cable existed and was the best thing to go with. Well that's what they told me at BB anyways. I'm sure some Rat Shack gold componenets for about 1/3 to 1/2 of that woulda been just fine.
    Admittedly, I did go with Monster's higher end line for my audio only because 2 channel audio is my first love. This audiophile bug has hit me pretty hard, although it hasn't quite hit me yet for video. I guess in time I'll most likely fall victim especially when I go HD.

Thread Information