Forum Regular

Do i need a subscription for TVIO ?

I ask because i am considering purchasing the following.

PIONEER DVR-810H-S DVD PLAYER/RECORDER/TIVO 80GB

It says it is TVIO user interface but no subscription is required. I thought it was a subscritpion service?

Cheers
    kev

Quote Originally Posted by kevan
    I ask because i am considering purchasing the following.

PIONEER DVR-810H-S DVD PLAYER/RECORDER/TIVO 80GB

It says it is TVIO user interface but no subscription is required. I thought it was a subscritpion service?

Cheers
    kev
    I am not a TIVO owner so I don't know for sure. But I believe there can be a one time purchase that gives you a lifetime subscription. Maybe something like this is included in the package you are looking at.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Thanks
    It did say soemhting about TVIO is included. Perhaps it is a life time membership.

Forum Regular

I Take it You Don't Have Cable

If you have cable, you may as well use the free HD DVR they give you & pay the monthly DVR costs as it will cost the same with or without owning a DVR. I can't imagine Satellite not charging you for DVR service as well. I think the only difference between TIVO and regular DVR service is you can look uo actors/actresses on TIVO & not for a regular DVR.

Forum Regular
    my buddy has his DVR through one of the satellite companies and he just pays the extra $10/month for it- and it's powered by Tivo. usually if you're just buying a Tivo unit from the store, you have the option of paying a monthly fee, yearly fee, or pay the $200 extra for the lifetime membership.

Forum Regular
    I THINK that you actually can use it without the subscription, but you won't get the many benefits of TIVO. It would just be like a vcr except on a HD. I'm not sure but I think I remember reading that. As other people said, if you have cable or satellite, they usually can give you one for a small fee. I get an HD DVR from Comcast for like $6 a month or so. It really does make tv worth watching. The small increase in your cable bill is definatly worth it.

Forum Regular
    I'm not sure about the Panasonic Tivo's, but on the Tivo Series II devices you MUST have a subscription, or you'll have a doorstop. These devices might be different in that they include the DVD player/burner, but most likely not with regard to the Tivo service itself. In fact, you have to sign up for service just to get the thing on the wire.

The "original" Tivo Series I boxes would continue to record without the service, kind of like a digital VCR. The Tivo service is now like $12 a month for monthly service, and $300 for lifetime service (that's for the lifetime of the device, not you).

You might check out http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php? if you have more questions about this device.

For the record, I LOVE my Tivo. It has changed the way I (and my family) watches TV completely. I only watch the commercials I want to see, and the ability to pause a game or show, or record a few episodes before watching, is priceless. This year I even set up a Wishlist for "Pilot" and have managed to catch almost every new program, which has introduced me to some great new shows (eg. My Name is Earl).

Forum Regular

Again What Is the Difference Between TIVO & A DVR?

I take it, assuming we're talking about an HD DVR, that TIVO is a DVR with additional features. What exactly are these additional features other then you can look/record shows with an actor or actress that you specify in them & as you said a Pilot Show and/or possibly shows of a gewnre like Sci Fi. Are there any other differences? I don't think, I may be wrong on this, that TIVO services work with Cable TV other then the normal DVR activities.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    I take it, assuming we're talking about an HD DVR, that TIVO is a DVR with additional features. What exactly are these additional features other then you can look/record shows with an actor or actress that you specify in them & as you said a Pilot Show and/or possibly shows of a gewnre like Sci Fi. Are there any other differences? I don't think, I may be wrong on this, that TIVO services work with Cable TV other then the normal DVR activities.

I think you have about nailed it. TIVO is a DVR with extra functions. Better ways to program it to record the shows you like. It will even learn what you like and suggest other shows that you might not have known about. It's in touch with the TV guide instead of just starting and stopping at dates and times that you have given it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    The TIVO DVR does have more functions than the one you generally get with your cable or satellite provider. The subscription you pay for is for the guide functions, which calls home to mama every day for program updates. I have had more than a few shows get moved, but the Tivo still picks up the program change and records it later. The suggestions have introduced me to some good programs, too, once it has "learned" what you like. The most recent software version also allows for "clipping", so if you have one show that runs from 9:00-10:01 and another that runs from 10pm-11pm, the second show will still record. That's a big problem with DVR's that don't have multiple tuners. It WILL work with Cable and Satellite, but they do not have built-in cable cards. You would have to route your cable through it.

The new TIVO DVR's that have the built-in DVD player/burners are nice. Most of them come with Tivo "Basic", which allows you to use it like a VCR (you can schedule recordings, you just won't get the guide functions, wishlists, etc.). They also allow you to burn shows you might want with a Tivo-style interface to the DVD. Very nice if you have a 10-show catalog of "Dora the Explorer" and want to move them to a DVD for viewing later or in the van or something.

Thread Information