Is HDMI worth it?

I apologize for not paying attention to previous threads which took this up, but I'm going to be picking up a Toshiba DVD player for my father's new TV which has an HDMI input. So, my question is, given the expense of a 2m HDMI cable, is the PQ going to be worth it over the component input? Of course, then I'll need to reroute the audio back to the receiver, which I think is the central stupidity in HDMI (until HDMI switching on receivers), but actually I already have that for the OTA HD input. So basically, after I tell my dad to shell out $100 for the player, should I then convince him to shell out more for a cable?

Thanks.

Paul,

I don't hate Monster for over-engineering their cables and charging for it, but you don't have to pay monster prices for an HDMI cable. Instead of $100 +, you could spend $30 to $40 and get the same performance, if your dad's situation isn't demanding in digital terms (the great proportion aren't). However, if your dad isn't an enthusiast, he's not likely to fret about getting the last possible drop of performance from his DVD player, and if his TV is a CRT, the chances of him getting that last possible drop of performance are slim, anyway. I've really simplified the answer. You can do a search on HDMI for the long versions, but the bottom line, from my point of view, is that HDMI is expendable now for most people, even if it results in a sharper picture for many people with "digital" displays. It won't be in the next stage of DVD evolution.

Don't worry about spending extra dough on an HDMI cable. HDMI cables are extreamly over priced! Now, I am all about getting great performance out of your gear, which includes forking over good money for proper cables, but spending money on an HDMI cable that is shielded and gold plated, etc, etc, is like burning up your money. HDMI is purly digital meaning it won't be affected my electro mangnetic or radio frequency interference. Its kinda like buying a gold plated USB cable - it won't make any difference in the performance. Luckily, the Toshiba SD4980 upconverting DVD player comes with a 6ft HDMI cable for free! Wow! Money saved! In short, yes, HDMI will give you a better, crisper, picture than component. The difference is small but noticable. If you want to maximize your picture quality, go this route. Just refuse to buy a $169 HDMI cable. I'm sure you can find one in a computer shop for real cheap.

Thread Information