Pathos Classic One MkII is here

OK, so the Classic One arrived today. It's in beautiful condition, I can't believe it was used at all. There's not a single scratch on it, it's perfectly mint. (The seller said it had only been used a couple hours; I thought he was just talking it up, but now I believe him.)

Unfortunately I haven't received my 1.6QRs yet so I have to run it into my MMGs for now, which obviously aren't going to show off the finer qualities of the amp.

Still, it sounds pristine, very musical and detailed, very lovely. There's a decent amount of bass, the mids are rich and textured, and the highs sparkle. There's only one problem....

IT AIN'T LOUD ENOUGH!!! I got it cranked up well into the 90's (it only goes to 99), and it still isn't really putting out as much as my Musical Fidelity did at half volume. It's straining audibly at 96 and above.

So... FLORIAN!!! Dammit, you said it was going to have plenty of power. What happened???

It's going to have an even harder time pushing the 1.6QRs, right? Are the balanced inputs going to have louder volume for some reason?
    Last edited by Mike Anderson; 01-07-2006 at 03:50 AM.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Hello Mike,

which version of the Pathos do you have? If can set it to 99 then you dont have the MKI but more likely the MKII since the MKI doesnt have a display. What cables do you use, and trust me and wait until you have the 1.6 in your home.

Dont go into a ****ty mood now, figure out which Pathos you really have (pictures help) and wait for the 1.6. Make sure it has the tubes that were originally in there since they drive the gain stage too. Then by low resistance cables like the ones i mentioned (QED Millenium MKII or the Silver Aniversary). Go from the single ended output on the Pathos to the BIWIRE inputs on the 1.6 Let everything warm up and break in and give them a hard backwall so that they can reflect. Tweeter ribbons go on the inside and measure the output of your CD Player to make sure the output voltage is high enough.

The Pathos Classic One MKI will get the 1.6 close to the 100db and very loud no questions asked. If it doesnt on the MMG then i dont know why but it does on the 1.6 if you follow my guidelines.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

It's definitely the MkII - it has the LED volume readout, and the remote can switch the inputs.

I did switch out the tubes before I started it up (putting in the Ei Gold Elites), so I will try putting the Sovteks back in.

I haven't gotten the Benchmark DAC1 yet, so I haven't gotten the cables you recommended either. But I'm not even sure where to get them! I couldn't find it in the Internet, so if you have a link to a seller that would help.

I'm also thinking I might be able to boost the signal to the input a little using the replaygain feature on my Squeezebox.

Also, right now I still have the baffles behind the MMGs (I was going to wait until I got the 1.6QRs to rearrange my living room), so when I have the rear wall reflections that should help.

The other thing is the second time around I listened to it, I had it on for a lot longer, and it actually seemed to get louder the longer it was on.

Truth is, I REALLY want to find a way to keep this thing, because I think it sounds phenomenal, even with the MMGs. It's really growing on me, I love the dynamics. Pieces with fast bass changes sound incredible. Music definitely sounds more detailed and life-like.

So, I'm going to wait until I have the 1.6QRs to make a decision (hopefully they'll arrive next week), and in the meantime I'll start trying out some tweaks to increase the dBs. But won't it take even more juice to push the 1.6s than the MMGs?

The MKII Pathos will drive the 1.6's with ease so dont worry about that. The 1.6 has a lot more surface area then the small MMG's along with crossover parts that dont eat up as much juice. If you follow the help i can give you it will sound amazing but it takes some work. The QED Millenium or Silver Aniversary are from England, i will look at a shop for you sine i bought them at my old Maggie dealer.

-Flo

PS: Use my exel sheet that i posted in the planar speaker setup guide to set them up.

I found the Silver Anniversary cable, but not the Millenium. Is it really going to make a difference though? I always figured cable wasn't that important unless you had a long distance to cover (and I don't).

Hi Mike,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I started of with QED Cables and found the Silver Spiral an incredible product for the money.

Enjoy the Pathos. I used to own the Logos. Pathos make nice amps.

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson
    Still, it sounds pristine, very musical and detailed, very lovely. There's a decent amount of bass, the mids are rich and textured, and the highs sparkle. There's only one problem....

IT AIN'T LOUD ENOUGH!!! I got it cranked up well into the 90's (it only goes to 99), and it still isn't really putting out as much as my Musical Fidelity did at half volume. It's straining audibly at 96 and above.

So... FLORIAN!!! Dammit, you said it was going to have plenty of power. What happened???

It's going to have an even harder time pushing the 1.6QRs, right? Are the balanced inputs going to have louder volume for some reason?
    Unfortunately nobody has stated the obvious reason, The LOWER SENSITIVITY of MMG may account for your current experience, I expect that the average sensitivity of the 1.6R is higher than that of the MMG, so even though the amplifier is not loud enough with the MMG, it might be loud enough for the 1.6R provided your room is not too large. And by the way, the cable will make very little difference, if extra loudness is what you are after.
    It's a listening test, you do not need to see it to listen to it!

^^^ The sensitivity specs on the Magnepan website are the same for both speakers: 86dB/500Hz /2.83v.

^^^ The sensitivity specs on the Magnepan website are the same for both speakers: 86dB/500Hz /2.83v.
    Good observation, one someone has to do before commenting pointlessly on a thread. Ok nevermind, your experience of the MMG. It will work perfectly on the 1.6 and play louder then you may want but DO understand that the Maggies incl. the 20.1 have their loudness limits. The 1.6 will not rock and shake the house but they can play pretty damn loud. Buy the Silver Aniversary, i have those here on my midrange ribbons. DO biwire them. Someday we will junk the **** parts in the crossover. The larger surface are and the better parts in the 1.6 along with the original tubes will work like a dream.

Dont be discouraged by people with no experience, it will work very well. Bernd had the Logos (step up from yours) and that will most likely be your step after the classic. But the MKII will do the 3.6 no problem too.

-Flo

The amp actually seems substantially louder today, for whatever reason I do not know. I have VU meters on my Squeezebox, so I know it isn't a louder source; perhaps my ears were particularly fatigued yesterday for some reason, or perhaps the tubes are breaking in in such a way as to make it louder? I've no idea...

Also, I'm going to pick up the Benchmark DAC1 today and start running into the balanced inputs. The DAC1 can substantially boost its output level, so that may help too.

Just wish the durned 1.6QRs would arrive already!

The Benchmark is quite good but dont buy it yet. Try it and also try to find a older Wadia or Krell x32 DAC. They will wipe the floor with the Benchmark. Its very good for the money, but too much hype around it.

Let the Pathos break in, good equipment is like a good wine.

The amp actually seems substantially louder today, for whatever reason I do not know. I have VU meters on my Squeezebox, so I know it isn't a louder source; perhaps my ears were particularly fatigued yesterday for some reason, or perhaps the tubes are breaking in in such a way as to make it louder? I've no idea...

Also, I'm going to pick up the Benchmark DAC1 today and start running into the balanced inputs. The DAC1 can substantially boost its output level, so that may help too.

Just wish the durned 1.6QRs would arrive already!
    The waiting game. What a drag.

However once they are with you, you will enjoy them I am sure.

Wishing you many great musical hours and please keep us posted.

The Logos is everything the classic one is just more so. It is an amazing amp.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Mike it sounds like you will have a sweet system. I hope the new speakers arrive quickly. I would like to read your impressions when everything is set up and tweaked. It is comforting to be able to give Flo hell if it does not work out.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Mike it sounds like you will have a sweet system. I hope the new speakers arrive quickly. I would like to read your impressions when everything is set up and tweaked. It is comforting to be able to give Flo hell if it does not work out.

Oh and you know I will!

Florian is right that it is a wonderful-sounding amp; I'm totally getting into the dynamics thing, listening to all my favorite albums anew. It ought it really shine on the 1.6qrs if I can get the volume up enough.

(And actually it is quite loud at this point, as my wife likes to point out; I do have substantial hearing loss already, I probably shouldn't try to aggravate it.)

I still fondly remember my Pathos + 1.6 setup and the many hours of fun i had with it. Maybe i will unhook my tons of electronics and run the old Pathos and the old Rega Planet 2K MKII on the DIVA to remember it a bit ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    The Benchmark is quite good but dont buy it yet. Try it and also try to find a older Wadia or Krell x32 DAC. They will wipe the floor with the Benchmark. Its very good for the money, but too much hype around it.
    The Benchmark is really what I want featurewise. Among other things it has a built-in headphone amp and two jacks; very handy for late-night listening when my wife goes to bed.

It's plenty good enough for my setup right now, and I can't afford anything more anyway.

Smile

Sounds like it matches to you then. I know its good, i tried it for 3 weeks in my own system. You will be pleased with it :-)

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

the specs can be deceptive

Even though the ratings are the same, the 1.6qr has twice the radiating area of the MMG. This means that depending on the size of your room the 1.6qr might be (in room) up to 3dB more sensitive than the MMG. They will surely play a LOT louder. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Oh and you know I will!

Florian is right that it is a wonderful-sounding amp; I'm totally getting into the dynamics thing, listening to all my favorite albums anew. It ought it really shine on the 1.6qrs if I can get the volume up enough.

(And actually it is quite loud at this point, as my wife likes to point out; I do have substantial hearing loss already, I probably shouldn't try to aggravate it.)
    Mike you may not be hard of hearing. You may have been married long enough to have developed selective hearing.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Mike you may not be hard of hearing. You may have been married long enough to have developed selective hearing.

I wish. Unfortunately, I have serious tinnitus in one ear. Sometimes it's blaringly loud and totally mars my enjoyment of music. It SUCKS. I'd give an awful lot of money to be able to fix it, but there's no cure...

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    The QED Millenium or Silver Aniversary are from England, i will look at a shop for you sine i bought them at my old Maggie dealer.

Yeah, the only source I can find for these is in England.

I'm ordering a set of the Speltz "anti-cables" based on what I've read about them on the internets:

http://www.anticables.com/home.html

They're not over-the-top expensive, and they appear to give great sound for the money. Several folks on planar asylum seem to like them. Anyone else tried them with Maggies?

They will work very well, even work on Aps :-)

I wish. Unfortunately, I have serious tinnitus in one ear. Sometimes it's blaringly loud and totally mars my enjoyment of music. It SUCKS. I'd give an awful lot of money to be able to fix it, but there's no cure...
    Have you tried any medications for the tinnitus?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Have you tried any medications for the tinnitus?
    I wasn't aware there were any medications for tinnitus. I recently heard of a potential medication (I think it's a drug that's used for alcoholics -- and hey, I could use that too!) but nothing that's available on the market yet.

Thread Information