Forum Regular

help on headphones

i am looking for a new set of headphones. right now i'm thinking about the sennheiser hd 580 or the hd 590.

what do you guys think? do you guys have any other suggestions?

r m
    Forum Regular
    I have a pair of Sennheiser RS120 wireless headphones which I like a lot. The convenience of not having a cable to get tangled up in is worthwhile.

I understand that the RS130 and RS140 are an improvement over the 120's I use and are therefore worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by manhattanproj
    i am looking for a new set of headphones. right now i'm thinking about the sennheiser hd 580 or the hd 590.

Read This and This

Forum Regular
    thanks for the links, LJ. but i forgot to mention that i will be mostly using the headphones through my computer and laptop. so i need something that is easy to drive.

what do you guys suggest?

thanks for the links, LJ. but i forgot to mention that i will be mostly using the headphones through my computer and laptop. so i need something that is easy to drive.

what do you guys suggest?
    One good thing about headphones is that , unlike speakers, you can drastically change the sound of your "listening environment" without going crazy.

I have both Sennhsiser 580's and Grado 80's. The Senns are smooth and great for more "classical" listening but the Grado's have a bit more presence and a wee bit more bass that fits in well with more "modern" music. I switch off as mood fits.

Sennheisers are great but are quite sensitive to upstream components. IOW, they ain't easy to drive.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I have the Sennheiser HD595

I've used both the hd600 & hd650, and while I think they are great headphones, @ 300ohms they REQUIRE a headphone amp to play at a decent level. Unlike them, the hd595 is a 50 Ohm headphone can be used with any device like an Ipod or portable CD player. It's possibly the best headphone that can do this.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I've used both the hd600 & hd650, and while I think they are great headphones, @ 300ohms they REQUIRE a headphone amp to play at a decent level. Unlike them, the hd595 is a 50 Ohm headphone can be used with any device like an Ipod or portable CD player. It's possibly the best headphone that can do this.
    i went to a local magnolia store to listen to both the hd 595 and hd 555. there wasn't much of a difference in sound quality between the two, except that the hd 555 is louder at the same volume. however, the hd 595 is much more comfortable.

is it worth the extra bucks to buy the hd 595?

Red face I concur...

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    One good thing about headphones is that , unlike speakers, you can drastically change the sound of your "listening environment" without going crazy.

I have both Sennhsiser 580's and Grado 80's. The Senns are smooth and great for more "classical" listening but the Grado's have a bit more presence and a wee bit more bass that fits in well with more "modern" music. I switch off as mood fits.

Sennheisers are great but are quite sensitive to upstream components. IOW, they ain't easy to drive.
    I have the Sennheiser 580's and I love them. Even though they're open back phones they're the bomb and they're very comfortable. Best of all is if the wires short out, just buy new wires and pop em in. You can even buy upgraded cables for em too if you're into that..

Da Worfster

Thread Information