Forum Regular

Speaker Suggestions

I am looking for speaker suggestions in the $1500-$2000pr range. I have a Rotel 1072 CD player, Rotel 1070 Pre Amp and I will power it with two Rotel 981amps bridged. My music preference is jazz but I do listen to some rock. Listening levels would be low to mid volume. I just need a place to start.
    Thanks,
    Relayer

The Collector
    Check into some of the Tannoy stuff. I have recently developed a love for them

There are some great suggestions in this thread.

The Polk RTi line is worth a look in that price range

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by relayer
    I am looking for speaker suggestions in the $1500-$2000pr range. I have a Rotel 1072 CD player, Rotel 1070 Pre Amp and I will power it with two Rotel 981amps bridged. My music preference is jazz but I do listen to some rock. Listening levels would be low to mid volume. I just need a place to start.
    Thanks,
    Relayer
    In that price range, you can look at used Thiel 2.3's, 2.4's or 3.6's. Fantastic speakers for jazz! Check out Audiogon.com

Forum Regular
    I just purchased a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors, and i LOVE them. I got them along with the VR1 stands for under $1000, so you could save some money and put it toward a sub. They are beautiful looking too!

Thanks,
    Relayer

I just can't help it

Thanks,
    Relayer
    For the jazz lover, Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's. Can't be beat for the new price of US$1800. Check out the Planar forum.

These are 4 ohm speakers, so check that your bridged Rotels will handle that load; assuming they do, they will have quite sufficient power.

Forum Regular

Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    For the jazz lover, Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's. Can't be beat for the new price of US$1800. Check out the Planar forum.

These are 4 ohm speakers, so check that your bridged Rotels will handle that load; assuming they do, they will have quite sufficient power.
    I have auditioned the MG 1.6's and I think they are awesome. Unfortunately my living space will not accomodate the size and required positioning. They would be my speaker of choice if circumstances allowed. From my research and all the help I got here I am going to start with Von Schweikrt VR-2, Ellis 1801 and Proac 1.5 (used)
    Thanks to all!
    relayer

I have auditioned the MG 1.6's and I think they are awesome. Unfortunately my living space will not accomodate the size and required positioning. They would be my speaker of choice if circumstances allowed. From my research and all the help I got here I am going to start with Von Schweikrt VR-2, Ellis 1801 and Proac 1.5 (used)
    Thanks to all!
    relayer
    The Proac's are a very good choice. Also consider the Castle Stirling 3.(easy to place in a small room) Beautiful speaker.
    Have fun auditioning. Trust your ears.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Forum Regular

Additional Speaker (newbie)Question

Thanks,
    Relayer
    I am currently powering my Siefert Research Paragon speakers with 2 rotel RB981 (360 watts each)bridged power amps. These speakers can handle alot of power. I am thinking of purchasing Quad 22l with a maximum of 300w each. If played at reasonable volumes can I damage the speakers with the extra power?

No, extra power means the amp is less prone to "clip" (a severe audio distortion related to an amp is driven too hard) and blow your speakers than a lower powered amp running tough speakers which is prone to clip.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Also - Dynaudio Audience 72 or 82 I would recommend in that price range. For something smaller that may be even better suited to Jazz, I'd listen to Sonus Faber Concerto as well.
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Thread Information