Forum Regular

I've got $1000 from the Wife!

I finally have the o.k. for $1000 plus or minus a couple hundred to spend on some new surround/music speakers. I am a relative newbie when it comes to surround sound, and have previously eyeballed getting the Bose Acoustimass 10 system. This idea all but fell through when I started reading reviews.
    So since people here considered themselves relative experts, what would be a good set of surround/music speakers for around $1000. I plan on being about 60% Surround/ 40% Music.
    I have considered building a system off of my Bose 4001, which sound pretty good in my opinion, and buying a center channel, sub, and 2 rear channels. I thought this option might allow me to save some $$ and get and up my 300-500$ budget on my reciever.

So if you guys have any suggestion for some great sounding speakers in this range, or even a decent reciever for 300-500, some help would be apprieciated. I need some opinions pretty quick before my wifes charity runs out... haha..

Forum Regular
    Speakers obviously vary per one's own preference, so I can't provide much input on that- I usually say, just stick with a company that only makes speakers (i.e. Mirage, Klipsch, Definitive Technology, B&W, MK, Paradigm, Energy, Canton, etc- there's obviously tons more). Bose are overpriced for what you get- you'll see that a lot on many audio review type boards.

You should be able to get a decent receiver with your $300-$500 budget. The Yamaha RXV657/HTR5860 comes to my mind first because I have it and love it- it does everything I need. You can also look at the Onkyo 603 and Pioneer 1015. I think all of those are around the $400-$500 price range. I feel as long as you stick with Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, or Denon, you should be in good shape for a receiver.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice. I have actually been looking at some Axioms here online. What is the general consensus on this brand. Are they a good value?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate1272
    Thanks for the advice. I have actually been looking at some Axioms here online. What is the general consensus on this brand. Are they a good value?
    A lot of people seem to like Axioms, but I'd advise against buying any speaker you can't listen to first, especially since you're new at this and especially since it sounds like this $1k isn't easy to come by again. Plot out an exact budget and audition speakers within that price range. Also consider building a 5.1 speaker package bit by bit, meaning maybe you can take your current budget and buy the main speakers and then add a center speaker in the future and then some relatively cheap rear speakers. My front three spekers cost about $800 (B&Ws) and my rears about $120. I'd also add Polk to your list of auditions.

Happy Listening.

How long can you hold your water?

With $1K, budgeting will only get you so far. You certainly can get a quality receiver from any of the popular brands (Denon, Onkyo, Outlaw, Marantz, etc.), but I don't think it's fair to say that you can get the receiver AND a complete quality speaker system without luck or a major clearance sale. It's just impossible to avoid buyers remorse at this price point.

I am one of those who believes that HT is worth the time and energy it takes to build. Much like Rome, not something you can expect to assemble in a day.

The electronics are the easy part. Let's face it: ceteris paribus, you can unplug my Denon receiver, hook it up in your place and it will perform exactly the same.

But speakers? Research and audition. I've tried my friend's Klipsch (which sounded great in his place), and auditioned B&W, Wharfedale, Totem, Swan Divas, Canton Karat, Polk and JM Lab, but found all of them lacking -- even though others find these brands to be some of the best. I eventually went with Silverline Audio speakers, which were well outside of my budget, but were worth every agonizing penny saved and months of waiting. If you can, try to save up a bit more to get the speaker package that you want.

Also, consider used purchases from your local audiophile reseller. That will save you tons, yet still give you an opportunity to experience some of the better HT equipment available.

The Definitive Technology ProCinema series sub/sat speakers may be what you are looking for in your budget range.

I definately recommend jetisoning the Bose as quickly as you can post them on ebay. I went the Bose route when I bought my first pair of speakers years ago, then I heard many of the other brands out there at stores other than Best Buy and Circuit City and have never gone back. Definitive is a good place to start (they were my original Bose replacements, and my first taste of what other brands had to offer).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Make sure you set aside $50 of that for flowers. Next time around, your budget just may double.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Make sure you set aside $50 of that for flowers. Next time around, your budget just may double.
    Now this is the best advise I've seen in a long time. Great point LJ.

Any of the receivers mentioned above would make you happy for a while. Speakers are a personal thing. One man's perfect is another man's crap. Go listen to as many as you can before deciding. A lot of people say, buy the front mains first and then fill the others in as you go. That's not a bad way to go. That way you get to put more into the two speakers you use the most.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    My wife isn't a big fan of flowers, but I did give her the "why don't we get this right the first time, so we don't regret it later" line, and hey.. heck it worked... I got $2000 now.

Is this a little more managable for a good set. I am not the type that needs absolute top of the line. I am more the type that will take the 95% the performance at 50% the cost.

I am also really wandering what size front speakers I need. The room that they will most likely go when I build my house is going to be 13 feet wide and 25 feet deep. Are floor speakers mandatory at this size of a room, even though my couch and tv wont be 25 feet apart. With an increased budget, at least on Paradigm or Axioms site, they puts me into range for a set with floorspeakers.

I still am going to go to some area audio stores and test some speakers. I definitely have no intentions now of buying without testing somewhat.

But for $2000, any more suggestions?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I thought so

Please read my review;

http://www.audioreview.com/AXIOMSURROUNDcrx.aspx
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    I would feel safe recommending the Polk Monitor line, which is what I have, and I'm very happy with them. They should be fairly easy to locate and audition, assuming there's a Circuit City somewhere nearby. I paid about 1100 total for my speakers: Monitor 70 mains $800, Monitor 30 surrounds $150, CS1 center $150. That leaves you with about 900 for receiver and subwoofer, which is doable. Of course, you could get off a little cheaper by downsizing the main speakers (the Monitor 50s are about half the price of the 70's).

FWIW, I was in your exact position a few months ago, and I couldn't be happier with what I ended up with. Just be patient, don't go off and buy the first thing you like. Because as soon as you do you'll find something else you like better.
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

My wife isn't a big fan of flowers

But for $2000, any more suggestions
    You've got some excellent advice already. Seems like that 2000 is your limit, so make sure you put a bulk of your money into your speaker. When you audition speakers, take a couple of CD's you're very familiar with, with you. If possible take your time and audition at home. I know it seems like a headache, but you surely don't want the voices of "did I make the right decision" following you around.

My wife isn't a big fan of flowers, but I did give her the "why don't we get this right the first time, so we don't regret it later" line, and hey.. heck it worked... I got $2000 now.
    Ok, I gotta ask...does your wife have a single sister???

$1500 is enough to get a decent 5.1 speaker set. Go to your local audio store and start auditioning.

Hmm... At $2000 that opens up a whole bunch of other options...

You could audition the Rega R-1 mini-monitors at $500/pr. MSRP. 5 will cost $1125 street price (assuming a 10% discount to MSRP).
    SVS makes some great HT subs (Internet only). I believe they have a good $500 sub that would do nicely.

That leaves $375 for a receiver... Anything from Yamaha or Onkyo would work at this price point. The primary concern should be ergonomics. Whichever brand suits your preferences for ease of use would be the one I recommend going with.

Good luck,

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Sorry BadAssJazz, my wife does have some extremely good looking older sisters( late 20s), but all are married, and none have practical way of thinking that my wife does.

i think I definitely got enough advice to get myself going, thanks to all you guys for the advice. Hopefully here soon I can have a list of equipment worth listing here..

Thanks..

Sorry BadAssJazz, my wife does have some extremely good looking older sisters( late 20s), but all are married, and none have practical way of thinking that my wife does.

i think I definitely got enough advice to get myself going, thanks to all you guys for the advice. Hopefully here soon I can have a list of equipment worth listing here..

Thanks..
    Have fun shopping Nate. Let us know what you come up with.

Thread Information