Forum Regular

HD DVD article- Fortune Mag

Came across this today and thought some would be interested.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/02/tech...tune/index.htm

Thanks, good info.

Time to hurry up & wait.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    Came across this today and thought some would be interested.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/02/tech...tune/index.htm
    Nice find Eric! This quote from the article pretty much explains what I have been been trying to say for quite some time:
    "Think twice before buying the current DVD version of your favorite movie. Once you see the same movie in high-definition, your old DVD will look just as appealing as an old VHS tape."

Again, great find Eric!
    Robert
    Projector: JVC DLA-SX21U (LCOS 1.5m Pixel)
    Lens: Panamorph PSO-SX21
    Screen: 133" 16:9
    AVR: Denon (Flagship) 5800
    LRC-Mains: Definitive Technology (Flagship) BP3000-TL
    Surrounds: Atlantic Technology (Flush-Mount) System 20eSR
    LFE-Subwoofer: Sunfire True Subwoofer
    HD Satellite / DVR: VIP DVR622 Receiver (30+ Hrs of HD)
    HD VCR: JVC SR-VD400US Pro D-VHS (True 1080i transmission via Component)

Dedicated Home Theater Specs & Pics

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robert393
    Nice find Eric! This quote from the article pretty much explains what I have been been trying to say for quite some time:
    "Think twice before buying the current DVD version of your favorite movie. Once you see the same movie in high-definition, your old DVD will look just as appealing as an old VHS tape."

Again, great find Eric!
    Robert
    Yo Rob,
    The author is correct, once you see high definition on DVD, regular DVD will look just plain sorry. That is also the case with D-VHS. The question is not really PQ, but how intrusive you want the studio's in your equipment. Copy protection issues so dog these new formats they have become consumer unfriendly before they are even out of the gate. As an early adopter and Bluray supporter, I am going to wait and see how the copy protection measures taken to satisfy the movie studios are itilized before I spend one penny for it
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Yo Rob,
    The author is correct, once you see high definition on DVD, regular DVD will look just plain sorry. That is also the case with D-VHS.
    Not doubting your word here, but D-VHS is 1920x1080. True HD. I can't see High Definition DVD looking any better (considering it will be the same resolution (1920x1080)) than D-VHS. HDDVD will certainly be more user friendly (ROM), and easier to use. But I guess we'll see?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Copy protection issues so dog these new formats they have become consumer unfriendly before they are even out of the gate. As an early adopter and Bluray supporter, I am going to wait and see how the copy protection measures taken to satisfy the movie studios are itilized before I spend one penny for it
    I'm pretty sure (hoping?) they will resolve the protection issues before release, other wise I'm with you on waiting a bit for the issues to be resolved. What about simply buying an xbox360 (with blu-ray included) as source?
    Robert

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    What about simply buying an xbox360 (with blu-ray included) as source?
    Robert
    Tsk Tsk....The Xbox 360 WILL NEVER HAVE BLU-RAY. That would be akin to Microsoft suddenly allowing the Tiger OS (Mac) to be run on its OS. Blu-Ray is SONY tech and it will be on the PS3. When and if MS includes a HD-DVD drive on the 360 it will NOT be Blu-Ray.

Man, that's hard to imagine. I am loving DVDs into my Sony HDTV. They look fantastic! I even prefer them to movies from the HBO-HD, but that probably has to do with the cable box being inferior as a source.

Anyways, this is going to p*** off regualr consumers like my pops who's just barely made the transition to DVD... Another new format?! I just converted my old VHS tapes!

eric

Forum Regular
    I agree with EricL. I can't imagine DVDs looking any better then they do now on my HD TV's unless they're in 3D. Will there be an HD DVD Shrink?

I'm gonna continue to buy what I want. I'm sure the HD is gonna be amazing, but I'm a now type of person. I may have to double dip on a few titles eventually, but hey, it's only money. I'll just pluck a couple hundred bucks off that money tree I got growing in the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Tsk Tsk....The Xbox 360 WILL NEVER HAVE BLU-RAY. That would be akin to Microsoft suddenly allowing the Tiger OS (Mac) to be run on its OS. Blu-Ray is SONY tech and it will be on the PS3. When and if MS includes a HD-DVD drive on the 360 it will NOT be Blu-Ray.
    I was mistaken. Sorry for any confusion. PS3 it is!
    Robert

Forum Regular
    I wonder how long it will take HD-DVD players to become affordable. IMO, I think the DVDs we use now will be around for at least 3-5 more years (and maybe even longer than that). I understand that HD quality is superior than SD, but I'm not sure it's as big of a jump compared to VHS to DVD for the average consumer who most likely drives the success of new technology. I'm not just talking about pic/sound quality- I'm talking about convenience of no more rewinding tapes, the ease of jumping to different parts of the movie, durability of DVDs (won't wear out like my 1985 Bears VHS I watch over and over, haha), etc.

I know a lot of people here will buy into HD (the majority already has);however, we have to remember, we're only 1% of the population. The great majority of the population is very happy with DVDs and really don't care about better pic quality. And we still have to remember, for HD-DVD to become popular, HDTV prices still have to drop for the average family to afford it. I know they dropped a lot already, but it's not nearly enough for millions and millions to take the dive. Especially with all the baby boomers who are nearing retirement on a fixed income- do you think they will drop $1K on a HDTV set and another $500-$600 on a HD-DVD player (when the price comes down from over $1K)? No way! Once HDTVs drop to $500-$600 and players drop to around $100-$200, then we'll see standard DVDs heading on the way out. Just look at VHS, there still around (not nearly as much as before) and DVDs have been out for 7+ years.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

Enjoy!
    Eric

Thread Information