AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking for Good, but small speaker

Looking for speakers for an applciation with emphais on space. Will be used for both Audio and HT. I like the size of the Bose Acoustimass 5, but not the sound. Any suggestions?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fred917
    Looking for speakers for an applciation with emphais on space. Will be used for both Audio and HT. I like the size of the Bose Acoustimass 5, but not the sound. Any suggestions?
    I have a Yamaha three way system that was rated higher than the bose system the year I bought it. I recently replaced the satelites with Tannoy M1's that I picked up on ebay. The result is a sweet, accurate, warm sound that sounds more like floorstanders than a small bookshelf solution. I drive it with a Hafler DH200 amp.

Quote Originally Posted by fred917
    Unfortunately, you are never going to get really good sound out of a speaker the size of those little cubes, and sub/sat systems using speakers that size will still have a bunch of compromises. If at all possible, steer clear and buy quality mini-monitors instead. That said, if you are dead set on super-small speakers (with/without a subwoofer), then check out the Gallo Acoustics Micros. They are about the same size as the Acoustimass speakers, but sound *much* better for similar money.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Depending on your budget, there are a couple of options. For something in the $200 ball park, you could check out Paradigm Titans or the Athena AS-B1's. I would also check out some Cambridge Soundworks speakers. They offer a good bang for the buck speaker that run from around $150 and up. If you are looking to take a step up from the mentioned speakers, it might be worth checking out the Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-1 Mini Monitor. I auditioned them for a few days. They didn't quite work out for me, but they were nice speakers and worth checking out if you are in the $600 range. Hope this helps. Good luck.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I'm new around here, but based on some favorable reviews and recommendations I helped my in-laws upgrade their cheapo TV speakers with some Energy C-3s. My only previous audio experience was from working at Best Buy and I knew equipment they sold there was mediocre at best. Anyway, they sound REALLY nice and are well worth the $300 I paid for them (they retail for $500). They are pretty small and I guarantee they sound better than Bose. Check out Audioadvisor.com if you're interested, plus the matching stands are half off!

Forum Regular
    For tiny speakers the NHT Super Zeros sound really good.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ez34K
    For tiny speakers the NHT Super Zeros sound really good.
    Agreed and the NHT SuperOnes which are still compact offer a little more bass.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information