AR Newbie Registered Member

DVD Player Problems

I have had a problem with my dvd player recently. Had a Denon DVM 3700 dvd player and it started losing picture similar to a rolling horizontal hold. Based on reviews that I had read on this sight, I figured player had an issue and that may not be worth fixing. So I went out and bought a new Onkyo DV-CP702(b) and this player had the same problem within 10 minutes of hooking this up to my Denon AVR3300 receiver. Am I missing something here or have I just gotten to problematic products?

Are you sure its not your cables?Is there a Video Signal Selector in back of DVD to support your TV?

If Pat.P's suggestions don't pan out, it's time to get serious about troubleshooting; it's too much of a coincidence. When you brought the Denon to the local store, did you try it out and notice the same problem? If not, you missed an opportunity. How are you connecting the DVD player, straight to the TV or into your receiver first? If by receiver, try the direct route to the TV. Is your connection via component, s-video, or composite? Try alternate connections. If possible, try different inputs with each format. Is your TV a digital model? If so, try the DVD player at both progressive and interlaced settings. If the TV's not HD or ED capable, you can't use the progressive option.

Ed

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    If Pat.P's suggestions don't pan out, it's time to get serious about troubleshooting; it's too much of a coincidence. When you brought the Denon to the local store, did you try it out and notice the same problem? If not, you missed an opportunity. How are you connecting the DVD player, straight to the TV or into your receiver first? If by receiver, try the direct route to the TV. Is your connection via component, s-video, or composite? Try alternate connections. If possible, try different inputs with each format. Is your TV a digital model? If so, try the DVD player at both progressive and interlaced settings. If the TV's not HD or ED capable, you can't use the progressive option.

Ed
    Thanks for your response. I did not take old Denon unit to the store when purchasing new unit, so I did not check on other receivers. After reading trouble shooting section of new unit, I disconnected vcr unit from Denon AVR3300 receiver. Seems there may be some encoded instructions on certain dvd's that are made to protect against copywright infringements. This seem to help, but Onkyo dvd player briefly had the same horizontal roll problem again. So I started to move equipment around to view the connections in the back and problem corrected itself. If problem reappears I will start changing cables around to bypass Denon Receiver. Also I am considering upgrading to a used McIntosh MVP831 or MVP851 DVD/CD players. Any thoughts on this?

It's been a while since I heard, and saw, a McIntosh, but you can count on getting a well-made, high-performance DVD/CDplayer. However, these players may not have an up to date complement of video jacks--not even component outputs. You should seriously consider getting a player that has HDMI capability to cover yourself for the foreseeable future. Also, if you have any interest in the hi def audio formats SA-CD and DVD-Audio, you may want to look elsewhere.

Thread Information