View Poll Results: How often do you clean your DVD/CD player?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every 10 or so hours of use faithfully.

1 11.11%
  • Once a year maybe.

0 0%
  • Only when my player skips or pauses.

3 33.33%
  • What, your supposed to clean this things.

5 55.56%

How often do you clean your DVD/CD player lens?

Just wondering how often you guys do this....
    Last edited by L.J.; 12-28-2005 at 09:42 AM.

My wife cleans it every couple of weeks.
    If it's in the house, she cleans it. Whether I want her to or not.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Maybe I shoulda been alittle more specific. I was refering to cleaning the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Maybe I shoulda been alittle more specific. I was refering to cleaning the lens.

Ooops, sorry. By time it's dirty enough to need cleaning it will be obsolete.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    The couple of times I have had the cover off of my cd player the lens always looked clean. I would say I have cleaned it twice in about 9 years. Different environments might increase the need for more frequent cleaning. Top loaders where the lens is exposed more might need frequent cleaning.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Never...

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Just wondering how often you guys do this....
    ...thus far...since the tray is the only thing that shows itself to allow loading a disc, I would have to open the unit to do so...I subscribe to the old philosophy of "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

While we're at it, my el cheapo GPX portable(gotten at Sears for $7 after rebate) is a clamshell affair, I've not cleaned it either. I do handle my small collection carefully, avoiding smearing PB&J, and like contaminants, on the data surface

I'm thinkin' it would take a good coating of oily, grimy dust to put the kafritz on the laser, etc....and then confound the redundant info the disc is encoded with...I mean it could happen...but hasn't yet...

jimHJJ(...now the stylus for my vinyl is a whole 'nother thing...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

I've never cleaned a lens on any of the players I've ever owned over the last 7-8 years! I would imagine the unit would wear out before needing to be cleaned.

I have a cd lense cleaner you just pop in like a normal cd. It is suppose to clean the lense for you. I bought it at a store cheap, and it also is a calabration disc. I've used it twice since I bought it and plan to use every three months or so after I go through my cd collection. Me being a smoker, I suppose smoke residue could dirty the lense. It hasn't done any damage that I can tell, so why not use it?

Forum Regular
    I think Monster has a new cable that conducts so well actually sucks the dirt right off the lens. No need to clean.

jocko

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

As Jerry Garcia once sang...

..."...think this through with me..."

Quote Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    I have a cd lense cleaner you just pop in like a normal cd. It is suppose to clean the lense for you. I bought it at a store cheap, and it also is a calabration disc. I've used it twice since I bought it and plan to use every three months or so after I go through my cd collection. Me being a smoker, I suppose smoke residue could dirty the lense. It hasn't done any damage that I can tell, so why not use it?
    ...A calibration disc that cleans??? A piece of attached chamois? A teeny-tiny burst of air from the disc? What do you suppose could clean things in a non-contact medium?

jimHJJ(...not tryin' to be snotty, jus' wunnerin'...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

I have these two products, that I rarely use.

I use a lens cleaner whenever I start getting pauses or skips on my players. Our room gets dusty VERY quickly, and as such, I notice that the tray on my DVD player in particular will accumulate dust. With the disc tray opening and closing, and discs getting changed out all the time, I would guess that at least some of that dust makes its way onto the lens. Using a lens cleaner, it does help with the pauses and read errors on my DVD player. When my CD changer started skipping on occasion, the lens cleaner did not help (replacing it with a new SACD/CD changer did help ).

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I have a $125 Technics CD player in my workshop. That shop has seen no less than 2000 lbs of MDF cut do smithereens, creating all kinds of sawdust and other nasty fine particles. I listen to no fewer than 5 cd's a week in there, sometimes 50. There's a small pile of MDF sawdust on it right now.
    After 6 years, still no cleaning. Everything appears to be in order. I live in fear of what the inside of that thing looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I have a $125 Technics CD player in my workshop. That shop has seen no less than 2000 lbs of MDF cut do smithereens, creating all kinds of sawdust and other nasty fine particles. I listen to no fewer than 5 cd's a week in there, sometimes 50. There's a small pile of MDF sawdust on it right now.
    After 6 years, still no cleaning. Everything appears to be in order. I live in fear of what the inside of that thing looks like.
    Fear not. If it stops working it's just a new opportunity to upgrade your main CD player and move the old one into your workshop.

See? It helps to have twisted logic sometimes.

hhhmmm.....I was for sure evryone was gonna be on some strict cleaning schedule. I guess it aint that big of a deal. You guys are right, next time my player skips.........I'm upgrading.....

Thread Information