Thread: A cool Yule

Bipolar Bingo Enthusiast Chip_B's Avatar

A cool Yule

A lot of great music exchanged hands in our household today. Everyone got something they really hoped for and a few great surprises. My favorite is the one I wanted most: "Soul's Chapel" by Marty Stuart. It's brilliant; one of the finest recordings I've heard in the last 5-10 years. Though he's been predominately a country artist throughout his career, Stuart is a native Mississippian who grew up listening to gospel and Blues. "Soul's Chapel" is essentially a gospel album grounded in the Blues, R&B, country, and rock-n-roll. Favorite cut: "Move Along Train", a gospel tune written by Roebuck Staples that features gorgeous harmonies (Mavis Staples shares lead vocals with Stuart) and haunting guitar.

My lovely bride also made sure I had plenty of other great music to listen to: the Garden State soundtrack; Les Paul and Friends - "American Made, American Played"; Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon - "Sixty Six Steps"; Charlie Sexton - "Cruel and Gentle Things"; and Susan Tedeschi - "Live from Austin, TX" (from an Austin City Limits show).

It's also definitely worth mentioning that Forever Autumn sent me the new Colin James CD "Limelight" earlier this week and it's outstanding...a great combination of Blues, R&B, and pop. The man sure can sing and play! Thanks, Esther!

So what was under your tree?

-Chip
    "The Blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad"

-Willie Brown

Suspended
    Well, Hello there Chip.How have you been and Merry Christmas! Ironic that I am reading your post while making copies of your Trower comp for 3LB and another gentleman.

Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon - "Sixty Six Steps" Is way cool. I have only heard a few tracks but liked them much.

The only music here are the two Animusic DVDs that I will post about separately.

Nice to here from you and say hello to the Mrs for us.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Chip_B
    A lot of great music exchanged hands in our household today. Everyone got something they really hoped for and a few great surprises. My favorite is the one I wanted most: "Soul's Chapel" by Marty Stuart. It's brilliant; one of the finest recordings I've heard in the last 5-10 years. Though he's been predominately a country artist throughout his career, Stuart is a native Mississippian who grew up listening to gospel and Blues. "Soul's Chapel" is essentially a gospel album grounded in the Blues, R&B, country, and rock-n-roll. Favorite cut: "Move Along Train", a gospel tune written by Roebuck Staples that features gorgeous harmonies (Mavis Staples shares lead vocals with Stuart) and haunting guitar.

My lovely bride also made sure I had plenty of other great music to listen to: the Garden State soundtrack; Les Paul and Friends - "American Made, American Played"; Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon - "Sixty Six Steps"; Charlie Sexton - "Cruel and Gentle Things"; and Susan Tedeschi - "Live from Austin, TX" (from an Austin City Limits show).

It's also definitely worth mentioning that Forever Autumn sent me the new Colin James CD "Limelight" earlier this week and it's outstanding...a great combination of Blues, R&B, and pop. The man sure can sing and play! Thanks, Esther!

So what was under your tree?

-Chip
    Wow, a lot of good things there, Chip, and even some stuff I might like, especially the Garden State Sdtk. Here's what was under my tree:

I've only listened to a few songs off it so far, but I have a feeling this is going to be downright excellent. There are 120 songs on it!

Regarding what I gave, I made my dad a compilation (for the first time ever) with mostly 60s rock/pop stuff, and gave my new bride the latest Neil Diamond CD.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Well, Hello there Chip.How have you been and Merry Christmas! Ironic that I am reading your post while making copies of your Trower comp for 3LB and another gentleman.

Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon - "Sixty Six Steps" Is way cool. I have only heard a few tracks but liked them much.

The only music here are the two Animusic DVDs that I will post about separately.

Nice to here from you and say hello to the Mrs for us.

Brian
    I've been doing well, all things considered. I don't have much leisure time these days due to work obligations, but I'm enjoying a little time off this week and thought I'd 'drop in'.

I hope the Trower comp will be well-received. Ginny still listens to Mrs. HyFi's 'Girls Night Out' comps.

Merry Christmas to you both and have a great New Year.

-Chip

-Willie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Wow, a lot of good things there, Chip, and even some stuff I might like, especially the Garden State Sdtk. Here's what was under my tree:

I've only listened to a few songs off it so far, but I have a feeling this is going to be downright excellent. There are 120 songs on it!

Regarding what I gave, I made my dad a compilation (for the first time ever) with mostly 60s rock/pop stuff, and gave my new bride the latest Neil Diamond CD.
    Wow...cool packaging! What types of music are covered? Who are some of the artists?

My mom loves music, so Ginny and I got her Rod Stewart's 'American Songbook' collection which includes a live performance on DVD. We also gave her 'best of' CDs by Tom Jones and Simply Red. I wish I'd also remembered to get her the new Neil Diamond--she's a huge fan.

For Ginny, I got Enya - "Amarantine'; Madonna - 'Confessions on a Dance Floor'; Fleetwood Mac - 'The Very Best of'; Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - 'Outbound'; and Patsy Cline - 'The Definitive Collection'. One of our boys bought her John Berry's 'I Give My Heart'.

I've also made comps for my mom. I played her tunes from dozens of CDs one night during the fall while she was down here for a visit and she liked nearly all of the songs. She also brought several CDs with her and asked me to make compilations of songs from her CDs as well as mine.

You got married?! Congrats! And Merry Christmas to you both!

-Willie Brown

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    ...and gave my new bride the latest Neil Diamond CD.
    Congrats Stoney! So she actually went through with it did she? Brave girl. Seriously, I wish you all the best!

Christmas was wonderfully predictable and everything that I wanted it to be. We had a wonderful day and even had a light snowfall in the evening.

Musically, I received Green Day's Bullet in a Bible, which I had been hoping for. And Hubby LOVED the Rush set that I bought for him. Lots of other great gifts too, but nothing else musical.

Today is Boxing Day here in Canada (it's like the day after Thanksgiving in the US). Lots of big sales over the next week. We're going to brave the crowds and look for a new sofa this afternoon and then drive up North to good friend's house for an evening of good food, drink, fun, a few more gifts, and to watch the Leafs play.

Warm wishes to you all!

Hey, Gang!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. Well, Santa brought some musical gems to our household:

1. Miles Davis -- Bags Groove -- 45 RPM LP
    2. Bruce Springsteen -- Born to Run -- new 200gm LP
    3. Richard & Linda Thompson -- Shoot Out The Lights -- new release LP

He also ordered Ryan Adams "29" and Ella Fitzgerald "Let No Man Write My Epitaph" (both on LP) but these are backordered. Hopefully, I'll receive in the next few weeks.

Chip, that Marty Stuart sounds really good. I listened to a few samples over at Amazon, and he seems to be in fine voice. I'm going to look for this one locally today, and purchase if I can find a copy. I have that Garden State CD, and really enjoyed it...great soundtrack to a really nice, sleeper movie. That's one I wouldn't mind finding on DVD.

Stone, congratulations! I knew you were engaged but didn't realize you were getting married in 2005. You deserve to be happy ~ best wishes! Oh, would love to hear more about your Christmas music...what cool packaging!

FA, glad the Rush DVD was well received by hubby...let us know how that Green Day release is. I'm a big fan!

Happy New Year!
    Ag
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Thanks for all of the congratulatory remarks. It's been quite a month.

That box set is 60s girl groups, and has some fairly well known groups like the Shirelles and Shangri-Las, along with some I'd never heard of like The Cookies. I'll report more on it once I've had a chance to spend some time with it.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Regarding what I gave...I gave my new bride the latest Neil Diamond CD.
    Wow, you must really love be in love, but I've got that beat, I once gave my wife a Barbara Streisand box set, not to mention CDs from Josh Groban and (say it ain't so) Celine Dion. Love makes us do strange and incredible things.

Really Stone, a big congratulations from all of us here in Canada, and i do feel I can speak for the entire country.

As for what I got from Santa, it was as I suspected

Wilco - Kicking Television Live in Chicago
    Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Chip, it's been a long while. Glad you got some stuff to finish out the old year strong. It's good to see you around. With both you and Mary around it's like a reunion.

Hey and Stone, good for you bud. I hope things stay as great as they are now for you and your new wife. I had no idea since you obviously held this one a little close to the vest. Does this one read the boards? Don't really want to say much else until I know the answer to that one!

I didn't ask for any music this year since I finally got my pre/pro and that pretty much blew the entire gift budget for me (and then some). Got an Arcam AVP 700. Just got the basic connections done yesterday. Great for music but overall the thing has some issues I didn't know about. I'll have a review of it in the HT forum next week if anyone cares.

Regards,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular

Gave

I gave out a bunch of toons this year which I hope those who received the stuff liked it!

Dave

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I was listening to NPR a few weeks ago - can't remember which program, maybe "All Things Considered" - and Marty Stuart's gospel album was the subject. He even sang and played. Nice harmonies with one of the musicians who joins him on the album.

Also heard an interview with the person who compiled that girl groups box set - 120 or so tracks many of which were good enough to be played on radio but weren't. They singled out one tune for its unique subject matter - paranoia or some other similar psychological disorder.

I gave out the Hendrix "greatist hits" type cd to one son. I was going to get him "Smash Hits" as an introduction, but there's another compilation out that's "approved by the estate" that has a few more tracks. Gave the latest Nickelback cd to my other son - not too familiar with them myself but it was on his list. Gave the wife Bette Midler sings the Peggy Lee Songbook. Oh well, she likes Bette.

Here's what I got - Death Cab for Cutie - Plans, Spoon - Gimme Fiction, and From Elvis in Memphis all on vinyl. What a wonderful Christmas!

Thread Information