Forum Regular

s-video vs. component (without progressive scan)

I've got a older Pioneer DVD player which does not have progressive scan. I've got it hooked up through component video cables, but I'm wondering if I don't have prog scan then is it doing me any good?

The reason I ask is because I have a really nice set of s-video cables that I could use instead, and it's kind of a shame that they're just sitting in the closet.
    I can take what’s being given
    I can down whatever comes
    I will do what you deem necessary
    My fear compels me

Component is always better than S-vid...

...Although what kind of TV you have and how critical your eyes are will determine how much of a difference. On a standard tube TV the difference is not that great, although to me, component still seems crisper with brighter colors on my 27" set. On an HD set the difference should be more striking.

Forum Regular

cables

Quote Originally Posted by caniac
    I've got a older Pioneer DVD player which does not have progressive scan. I've got it hooked up through component video cables, but I'm wondering if I don't have prog scan then is it doing me any good?

The reason I ask is because I have a really nice set of s-video cables that I could use instead, and it's kind of a shame that they're just sitting in the closet.
    Can you just go ahead and hook both of them up on different inputs on the back of your tv then switch between them to see which one you like best

Thread Information