AR Newbie Registered Member

Wink Free Sex And Drugs

Now that ive got your attention....
    Hi, I am looking to upgrade the audio set up that i have now. I listen to rock and alternative, bands such as nirvana, smashing pumpkins and white stripes. I have about 500 dollars to spend, give or take a few dollars, but would most defineltly prefer not to spend it all. OK, i want a set up, %100 for music, and i want to be able to play it from my ipod.... Right now i have an extremely old sony STR-3800 reciever. I have been looking at the mirage omnisats ($150 a piece) and the Athena Technologies F2.2 ($300 a pair) . So ya, these speakers would be in a relatively small room (15' x 15') What would i need to make this work, and recommendations on speakers, if i need a new amp/reciever or not (if yes, which one), i honestly dont care how the speakers look, i just want them to sound great. So ya, remember, i would be hooking these up to my ipod
    thx a lot
    Last edited by kingtriplet; 12-18-2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: bad icon

AR Newbie Registered Member
    o ya, and if you think buying a subwoofer is important, please recommend one

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtriplet
    o ya, and if you think buying a subwoofer is important, please recommend one
    A drug free life will help you find the answers to your questions and do you know that some diseases transmitted through unprotected sex eat your brain?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtriplet
    Now that ive got your attention....
    Hi, I am looking to upgrade the audio set up that i have now. I listen to rock and alternative, bands such as nirvana, smashing pumpkins and white stripes. I have about 500 dollars to spend, give or take a few dollars, but would most defineltly prefer not to spend it all. OK, i want a set up, %100 for music, and i want to be able to play it from my ipod.... Right now i have an extremely old sony STR-3800 reciever. I have been looking at the mirage omnisats ($150 a piece) and the Athena Technologies F2.2 ($300 a pair) . So ya, these speakers would be in a relatively small room (15' x 15') What would i need to make this work, and recommendations on speakers, if i need a new amp/reciever or not (if yes, which one), i honestly dont care how the speakers look, i just want them to sound great. So ya, remember, i would be hooking these up to my ipod
    thx a lot
    First let me say I am disappointed this was about audio. But seriously early Sony receivers were not always good with 4 ohm loads. I would check and see how the two speakers are rated and if they are both nominal 8 ohm I would choose by sound. If the receiver is currently functioning properly I would buy the speakers first and see how they perform in your room. If you find them bass shy then shop for a subwoofer. I always like to add one new component at a time to evaluate if it is a positive change. Let us know what you decide.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    The athena's should provide plenty of bass for your needs, no need to worry about a sub unless you make the change to HT.

Now, about this free sex and drugs........

Sex! Drugs! Where?

Anyways i would also suggest you listen to older Klipsch designs. They are very efficent and will definetly not sound too bright on the dull sonys. Might be a good balance.

Cheers

Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Thread Information