Forum Regular

Question Need to divert low bass to monitor

I want to limit the low bass going to monitor. Monitor goes down to about 60hz. I have a sub with all line and outs, high level in and out speaker post. adjustable crossover,etc...
    When you adjust the crossover knob (0-160hz) does it limit the bass to monitor or does it adjust the sub? I'm confused on the hookup here. Also is this the best way to do this? is there a cleaner path? I need a teacher on this one. Maybe Master PO!

Thanks

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The crossover in the sub's plate amp will only cut the frequencies to the speakers if the speakers are being driven by the subwoofer amplifier. Not really a great idea in most situations, but some systems are designed for it.

To cut the bass to the speakers, you have a few options. If you're using a receiver, set the speaker size to "small" and adjust the LFE cutoff frequency to whatever you desire. This uses the receiver's built in crossover. I think they're usually 12 dB/octave.

If that's not on option, then you could consider buying "bass blockers"...capacitors of certain values that you'd wire in series with the speaker terminal...this will block the bass. Used all the time in car audio.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    The crossover in the sub's plate amp will only cut the frequencies to the speakers if the speakers are being driven by the subwoofer amplifier. Not really a great idea in most situations, but some systems are designed for it.

To cut the bass to the speakers, you have a few options. If you're using a receiver, set the speaker size to "small" and adjust the LFE cutoff frequency to whatever you desire. This uses the receiver's built in crossover. I think they're usually 12 dB/octave.

If that's not on option, then you could consider buying "bass blockers"...capacitors of certain values that you'd wire in series with the speaker terminal...this will block the bass. Used all the time in car audio.
    Now youv'e confused me Kexodusc.

If you use the high level inputs aren't you using the receivers amps to drive the speaker and only using the sub's crossover. I have never heard of the sub's amp driving the mains. You would run the speaker wire from the amps speaker terminals to the speaker inputs on the sub then use the speaker outputs on the sub and run these wires to the speakers. This in turn lets you use the crossover on the sub to filter the mains. This is the way I understand these inputs.

Now using low level RCA inputs only lets you use the subs crossover for the mains if it has outputs to go back to the main in on the receiver/integrated amp.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Ooops

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Now youv'e confused me Kexodusc.

If you use the high level inputs aren't you using the receivers amps to drive the speaker and only using the sub's crossover. I have never heard of the sub's amp driving the mains. You would run the speaker wire from the amps speaker terminals to the speaker inputs on the sub then use the speaker outputs on the sub and run these wires to the speakers. This in turn lets you use the crossover on the sub to filter the mains. This is the way I understand these inputs.

Now using low level RCA inputs only lets you use the subs crossover for the mains if it has outputs to go back to the main in on the receiver/integrated amp.
    My apologies...You're right, "driven" isn't the right word..."filtered" is what I meant...I had written a completely different answer, then shrunk it down and edited by cutting and pastin...sorry for the confusion.

Still not the greatest IMO because of the low order crossovers in most subs...but better than nothing.

Edit - and I mean most plate amps are 12 dB/octave filters, not receivers...they're usually higher....what was I smoking?

Forum Regular

I'm close. I think, but still confused

Okay, I have separate preamp with only one main out to amp. Do I go from main out from preamp to line level in on sub and then line out from sub to inputs on amp. Then go amps speaker output to the mains? How does the crossover knob adjust the amount of bass back to the amp( limiting the bass letting mid-highs go through) and how do you get the full signal to the sub at the same time? Does setting the crossover low limit the bass back to the amp? Which is what I want: Does the sub retain the bass signal it got from the initial line in to sub?

Thanks again for all the advice!

Thread Information